Qzgy's Mostly Functional Craft

qzgy

Hello! Here you will find some of the many craft/deathtraps I've made (and possibly abandoned) that I feel like sharing. Click spoilers for more info/pics. Assume stock unless otherwise stated.

VAB

Nothing here yet!

SPH

Heidegger - Large SSTO with plenty of dV

Spoiler

UgzdUrK.png

SGNYyIy.png

Large SSTO with capacity for 5 kerbals (if they dn't mind being in clipped in lander cans used for EVA). Capable of interplanetary travel, theoretically infinetely as it has onboard ISRU. Also, the engineers decided to include VTOL for kicks. Has a cargo bay for maybe a rover or something :wink:. Note on EVAs - Go through the lander cans. Kerbals can pop through the fairing, but it's not highly recommended.

4AGdsP0.png

Action Groups

1 - Toggle Rapiers

2 - Toggle rapier modes

3 - Toggle NERVs

4 - Toggle ISRU and surface exploration equipment

5 - Toggle Solar Panels/Antenna

9 - Open VTOL doors

10 - Toggle VTOL Engine

Ascent profile - Fire up Rapiers. Accelerate at sea level to above 450 m/s and point up at about 10 to 15 degrees. At 20 000 m, toggle on the NERVs. Switch over to Closed Cycle on the rapiers when the speed starts to drop. Wait until apoapsis is comfortably outside of the atmosphere before coasting then circularizing. For inerplanetary trips, a Minmus pitstop is highly recommended.

Link to download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Heidegger-V

F-22 Dogfighter - Does what it says on the tin.

Spoiler

Small single person dogfighter armed with 4 AMRAAMs, 2 Sidewinders and 2 Vulcan cannons. Modeled after the actual F-22 raptor. Good for shooting down most things you don't want flying anymore.

pE4sUhl.png

uqTd3tt.png

Should control well. If it doesn't, it might be your problem.

Action Groups

2 - Toggles Afterburners

Requires BDArmory.

Link to download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/F-22

The version linked has excessive fuel for quick dogfights - it is recommended to therefore reduce fuel loads if not a lot is needed.

X-13 Vertijet - Stock replica of the 1950's era experimental test jet

Spoiler

Copied from the X-Jet of the Day post, which this was created for.

1024px-Ryan_X-13.jpg

The Vertijet was one of the first attempts of the US Air Force at a VTOL aircraft. It was actually derived from a though of whether the Ryan FR-1 Fireball would be able to take off vertically, given its greater than 1:1 TWR at low fuel levels. Interested, the United States Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics issued a contract to conduct testing in that area with the interest in submarine based aircraft. This craft was one pat of a larger program. After small tests between 1947 and 1951, Ryan was awarded a contract to develop a full jet powered VTOL aircraft, designated the X-13. Two were built.

S0Kr2PK.png

Interestingly, the craft was just about big enough to hold the pilot in a rotating seat and the Rolls-Royce Avon engine, producing 44 000 N of thrust. Control was maintained by thrust vectoring in the pitch and yaw directions and small puffer jets on the wingtips controlled roll. Underneath the aircraft was a small hook used for hanging (yes hanging) the craft from the test stand which could be raised or lowered for transport or for testing VTOL capabilities. This hook was also used for "landing" the craft during testing, conducted by pilot Peter F. "Pete" Girard and W. L. "Lou" Everett.

ohHB4Nd.jpg

First takeoff (horizontal) occurred in December of 1955. Afterwards, hooking practice was done before the first full flight where the craft took off vertically, transitioned to horizontal flight and back and hooked again in 1957. It was also apparently demonstrated in July of the same year in Washington DC. Development was canceled later that year as no operational requirement existed. Both prototypes were retired to museums.

Vj3J28D.png

The replica does not handle well as well as I'd like - Pitch is often sluggish to respond at high speeds, so be warned. Otherwise, it is quite stable.

Link to download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Ryan-X-13-Vertijet
I have also made an experimental trailer that can be raised and lowered. It does not work currently, but if you are willing to try, go ahead! Link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Vertijet-Trailer

X-23 with Kitzer Telescope - A massive Two-Stage-To-Orbit used for delivering a replica of the Spitzer space telescope

Spoiler

This was originally designed for SpeedingMullet's STS challenge, specifically STS-3. Hence, the little STS3 on the KerbalX page. Its a huge craft, consisting of over 1000 parts. Potato(and even reasonably good computer)-Owners beware, this may melt things. Other than being a large shuttle thing, it carries a replica of the Spitzer space telescope, an infrared observatory launched on 2003. Being KSP 1.2.2, it currently did nothing, but you can modify it to carry the new 1.3 space telescope part. That's your job though, not mine.

t6h3U7y.png

Beauty/glory shot.

WYM2jIG.png

Shuttle w/ payload

NreOLrL.png

Launch - Pitch up into a 10 degree climb or so. As speed increases and re-entry effects happen, pitch up more. When the speed starts to slow, change modes over to closed cycle. At some point, you will need to activate the vectors on the main shuttle, just to keep the thrust vector reasonable. Use the poodles for maneuvers, as you will get a bunch more delta-v from those.

Action groups. I really don't remember, but 1,2,3 is probably for engine action groups and 4/5 for cargo bay/solar panel things. You can poke around to find out.

As you might have noticed, there isn't a convenient external EVA spot. That's why there is a lander can at the back, used for also accessing the MMU's or, informally, spacebikes.

Download Link - https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/STS-3X-23L-and-Kitzer-Telescope

XV-4B - Stock replica of the craft with the same name. Created for X-Plane of the day.

Spoiler

The XV-4 Hummingbird, or originally the VZ-10, was a US Army project researching the feasibility of a VTOL aircraft for surveillance purposes. It was part of a line of V/STOL projects conducted in the 1960's.

xv4-4.jpg

2 variants were made, the XV-4A and XV-4B. They differed in the method in which the vertical capabilities were achieved. The first prototype (XV-4A) had two JT-12 engines that had the thrust redirected through multiple nozzles to achieve vertical takeoff, helped by a secondary flow of cold air. However, this produced an abysmal 1.04 TWR which was below performance estimates, and the prototype later crashed on the 10th of June in 1964 with the unfortunate loss of the pilot. The second version as modified between 1966 and 1968 so that the JT-12 engines replaced by 6 J85 turbojets, with 4 acting as dedicated lift jets and the other two able to be diverted for vertical thrust. Additional changes were made to the aircraft, including the addition of an SAS system and conversion to a hybrid fly-by-wire system. The second prototype crashed the 14th of March, 1969, with the pilot managing to safely eject (an improvement over the last crash, if a bit grim).

nP9m42b.png         

While the first takeoff was early July of 1962, actual tests of VTOL capability was first conducted on a tether in November of the same year, with free hovers beginning in May of the next year. The 8th of November 1963 marked the first full transition from hovering to horizontal flight. Testing on the second vehicle was cut short by the crash, leaving little to no record to be found (on the internet, at least).

c4Nmcx5.png

Builder Notes: Like the real thing, the lift jets are angled at about 10 to 20 degrees. Keep this in mind when flying. Also try to remember to enable RCS for better control.  Action group info on the KerbalX page.

Download Link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/XV-4B

AD-1 - Oh my god the wing is slanted.

Spoiler

vdhT2pF.jpgNASA_AD-1_in_flight.jpg

The AD-1 was a test program run by NASA to test the merits and effectiveness of an oblique wing design. This means the relative to the body, the wing is at a tilted angle and could, in theory, move back and forth. Robert Jones, an engineer promoted the concept for use on a transport aircraft. Wind tunnel tests showed that compared to a normal aircraft, an oblique design could have much better efficiency. The concept, while not new, being proposed in 1942, was tested on the AD-1. It was designed as a cheap testbed, built by Ames Industrial Co. according to NASA specifications from both Boeing and the Rutan aircraft company. The low cost however, limited what the aircraft could actually accomplish and the complexity of it. Powered by 2 small turbojet engines, it could achieve a maximum speed of 200 mph, though was usually limited to 170 mph. The wheels, which were fixed, were located close to the fuselage to decrease drag. The actual mechanism for the wing was electrically driven through a gear system to change angle, with a sweep up to 60 degrees.

ad1-1.jpg

Testing was done incrementally, as is always safe to do. While flights were done in 1979, the first flight to do a full wing sweep was in mid-1981. Testing continued until 1982, before the program was shut down. Jones considered after the flight research that an oblique wing would stll be a viable lifting option for a transport.While working, this airframe had kinda nasty handling at pitches above 45 degrees. It did complete the technical objectives, but did not fully verify the concept on a more suited airframe and at higher transonic speeds. After retirement, it was put on display at the Hiller Aviation Museum in California.

efvz1u1.png

This replica mimics the same concept. After staging, switch to the wing to change the angle using the ‘Q’ and ‘E’ keys. Like the real thing, it will only swing in one direction, with the right side going forward.

Download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/AD-1

Bugatti 100k - It moves! Is it supposed to?

Spoiler

WARNING - EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN

1ASglFi.png

Its not quite perfect, but I don’t think I can refine it much more.

This is a soft replica of the Bugatti 100P, a 1930s air racer design that never got off the ground until 2015 when a different group replicated the design before it crashed in August of 2016, killing the pilot.

roll-out-3-1.jpg

The KSP version looks relatively similar, though is likely alot larger than the actual craft due to the lack of miniaturization parts in KSP. As a note, the propellers are mainly decorative and, while being powered, probably slow it down. Oh, and explode. This is perfectly normal, and something I’m likely unable to fix (unless some other wizards can make it perfectly stable.) It handles well though, apart from minor propeller issues and is able to fly, thanks to the use of additional power sources (read: clipped engines that actually give enough thrust to fly)

c2rwXDV.png

CmOLFBe.png

Download Link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Bugatti-100K

Sledge No.2 - hmm this one broke. I'll fix it later.

Ground Vehicles

Mallard Train - Choo Choo.

Spoiler

What did you expect? Its a train. Based of the Mallard, currently the world's fastest steam driven train. Can be used for long distance traveling, but haven't tried. Kerbals can also put it in a museum if they'd like.

iPyPrjl.png

SVrV2Bm.png

Action Groups

1 - Starts Fuel Cells

Some other things? IDK, consider this a work in progress

Download link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Mallard-Train-v3

Missile Launcher - Stock tool for RAINING DOWN DESTRUCTION

Spoiler

Ok, well, not really. It has 1 missile. But its concealed, so yay? The missile can be launched and then controlled to hit a target. Included is a turbo boost feature, good for shifting the heavy armored craft a bit faster

gxgUQKq.png

ud5Xk0Q.png

The missile

OHQE0x4.png

Action groups can be found on the KerbalX page.

Before lowering/raising the missile launcher, remember to disengage the lock.

This was also my first foray into stock hinges. As such, its kinda bad. So don't be expectant of perfectly buttery smooth operation.

Download Link:https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Missile-launcher

Boats

Battleship Princeton - Very part-count heavy stock battleship. Comes mostly unarmed.

Spoiler

W1WCbyn.png

I'm really not joking when I say part count heavy. With over 1600 parts, this is one of my most part heavy craft to date. Designed for @MiffedStarfish's Naval Battle thing he is planning, this might serve as a good base for other people to do stock warfare, if they don't mind horrible frame rates. Comes armed with 10 cruise missiles, but otherwise not much. The cruise missiles themselves, and the raising/lowering mechanism is actually taken from an earlier design, just refined slightly and made more timewarp proof with the addition of docking ports.

Fvo5pr4.pngK4Qh2DR.jpg

This craft isn't really based in any real life thing. However, the actual shape of the superstructure is heavily inspired from the Bismarck. Pity there aren't any good stock guns. Also, as a note, kinda breakable.

Usage: Enable control from the stayputnik in the hull. Ore ballast tanks can be adjusted to help with waterline management. Action groups for controls can be found in the SPH description. VesselMover is REQUIRED to get the thing to water. Turning may also need to be adjusted or augmented by rockets. The turn circle at the moment is quite large.

Download Link:https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Battleship-Princeton

Cruiser Trenton and Hamilton - Essentially the same - One is stock, the other is BDArmory based.

Spoiler

The cruiser Trenton was originally designed as a target for planes to shoot at. However, it also serves as a good and mostly lagless hull for the Hamilton to be based off of. These are faster than the Princeton, but a lot less stable. This has been kinda fixed by the addition of ore tanks on the bottom. Still have not fixed the issue of intake air on these (infinite fuel cheat?) and needs vessel mover to get to the water.

Trenton

zS9rquh.png

BDarmory version. Needs BDarmory to work. Actually the second version of this craft, the first was slow...
Download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Cruiser-Trenton-II

Hamilton

5XIh8nl.png?1
Comes with a stock turret system and some dumb missiles. Not sure on the actual effectiveness.
Download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Cruiser-Hamilton

Note: Modified versions have been made by other people (and frankly, work a bit better than the original)

Feel free to give critique or feedback on any of the craft! I'll probably update this as time goes on.

Edited by qzgy
More stuff!

Just now, Jon144 said:

Keep up all your good work! 

Your missile launcher may lead to truly dangerous weaponry. 

You should try your hand at some more stock tanks. (I need some cannon fodder :D)

Thanks! I can certainly try my hand at a stock tank!

On 6/15/2017 at 7:07 AM, NSEP said:

I like how your mostly stock and not modded. Modded crafts are not that impressive.

Awesome work by the way.

Hey thanks!

I have to agree with you, I don't find modded impressive. Its sometimes necessary, for things like guns though.

Edited by qzgy

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 8:20 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

@qzgy, There is no download link on the ssto with the Kitzer. plz fix?

Fixed. Also added new bits (by new I mean  ripped from KerbalX)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.