[Showcase] Post your Bases

A refueling base I built at laythe's north pole (perfectly flat, great place for a base, and easy to aim for from space). Pretty utilitarian, I had a huge rover with KAS to pick up the modules and move them around, you can see part of it on the right. The home admin module was powered mostly by the large solar array in the center, which was attached to it using KAS. There were two identical aircraft to use to fly around laythe with, one of which can be seen in behind the solar array.

QgvioNm.jpg

My first Mun Base.

It's a simple design and I lifted it off in one piece and landed it. 3 stages, 4 counting the solid rocket boosters, used the last stage which was landed whole on the moon to finish the transfer from Kerbal and land on the surface.

KSPMunbase_zps84c7b811.jpg

Made it with just 77 points of fuel left after starting with 44,000 fuel points and 6,800 SF points.

LOL, the launch vehicle is about as rickety and jerry rigged as you can get. I spent the evening tweaking it, 2 dozen test flights and a few re do's to come up with this "design", there are too many struts count but on the 3rd try I got it into orbit without it breaking up at some point. After dropping the main first stage and SRB's, not surprisingly, it was much more stable.

KSPMunbaselauncher_zps94def4aa.jpg

I have two old moon bases:

a simple, mundane, large one:

AOYYLq1.jpg

...and a less effective but much more extravagant one (with windows in every suite overlooking the beautiful, serene, landscape consisting of uhhh......rocks?):

ZzInyvr.jpg

-Ojimak

I made a Mun base!

YHixrUK.jpg

And I parked the whole thing next to the Lunar Landing memorial.

cr8MWwD.jpg

My communications tower kept having an issue in that it would wobble and "walk" away. I think I'm on a slight slope. It eventually moved more than 100 meters away. So I used my new rover to push it back into place.

aMlN6LT.png

My habitat can house 8, but I only staff it 3 at a time to give them plenty of space. Each has their own home module, and the 4th is for storage, community space.

33xd63x.jpg

Looking out the window at the rover, the comm tower, and the Memorial:

AvA1BUk.png

Basically, each section was its own launch. 3 launches, 3 pieces. They all used a sort of "sky-crane" to land, then detach and fly away to crash somewhere. :)

Probably more to come, once I think of something new to add.

I'm back playing KSP, at least for a while. But I promise I'll release the modular base kit and share the construction techniques this time around before I disappear again.

In the mean time:

And we missed you! You must be one of the people I learned the most from. At the very least, you are the KSP player most referenced in my threads...

So when does this piece of awesomeness become available?

Soon, within a week or two:

2ros6cz.jpg

I'm launching parts for a base to the Mun as fast as I can to prove that the launch vehicles for the parts are sound. Once I have the base assembled the parts will be released.

Soon, within a week or two:

I'm launching parts for a base to the Mun as fast as I can to prove that the launch vehicles for the parts are sound. Once I have the base assembled the parts will be released.

Hey guys, I found KSP like 3 weeks ago. I was instantly impressed. This is my intro post here also.

After learning the basics, i quickly run into limitations of part count with my initial design in my first munar base attempt.

BD89A98853F0E49D0872F33947AE0FCC922DB6D2

After that i tried to establish a Duna base, but it was quite primitive and few things were just no working right, specially with the docking system.

So after a few days I was inspired by Temstar base and decided to make something similar. Tested everything in kerbin ground and later launched piece by piece into the mun.

There are 2 crawlers to dock the rocketship. 2 rovers to assemble to base. standard kethane modules, crew and support modules. Lags just a little but still keeps a playable performance.

59153B74C20BFB321811C319B600EB307B9361D3

ACC72CC940938A0354AC30046588D184EBC61AFE

• 1 month later...

There is lot of beautiful things in this thread ! I allow myselft to show mine :

mQ4vheo.jpg

RETe76C.png

g3GXWso.png

EMp0gEB.jpg

CN9a8vk.jpg

5hjh5XG.png

This is an all-in-one Ground Base, large enough to welcome 53 Kerbonauts ! But as always, Dakitess Corporation prefers to give comfortable situation for his heroes, and it has been decided that 5 guys is perfect, on in each lateral apartment, and the commander in the center.

Thanks to the four engines embedded, this station is completely able to land in water (tested !). Tkink about Laythe and multiple small island made of this Base, linked by flexible bridge ;)

This Base has been completely assemblied module after module, to prove the faisability of the project. The all-in-one version allow to have something structurally reliable, without the flexibility of docking ports. Below, you can find the complete thread (French, sorry...) of the differents steps :

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.fr/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2054

Edited by Dakitess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.