SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

7 Seat SSTO to ferry people into 100km orbit, all stock.

I have a healthy amount of fuel left for rendezvous and docking maneuvers and it is very well behaved in atmosphere too. The only downside is the thrust vector is slightly off COM. Couldn't find a better solution for the tail though, so I just tried to balance it with batteries, RCS fuel, etc. and added an RCS thruster to counter the remaining torque.

4Ec5ZsC.jpg

0NT38LC.jpg

1Hc9lZb.png

7 Seat SSTO to ferry people into 100km orbit, all stock.

I have a healthy amount of fuel left for rendezvous and docking maneuvers and it is very well behaved in atmosphere too. The only downside is the thrust vector is slightly off COM. Couldn't find a better solution for the tail though, so I just tried to balance it with batteries, RCS fuel, etc. and added an RCS thruster to counter the remaining torque.

Triplane, conventional tailplane counteracting the torque from the wing, all fuel tanks around the center of mass... you have been reading up on aerodynamics and RL plane design, haven't you? It's rare to see people heeding that kind of good design advice in KSP... which explains some of the explosions.

Rune. Good job!

Thought i'd post up my only successful spaceplane to date: Flap III :D

1466F8D08115258A24C2A35868C96BAF299B93F8

Gets up into orbit without too much hassle, but not a vast amount of fuel left.

0E5EA7A52C8808D7BC0C955CE82E55C261B6DB3B

Dead simple design, no real balance issues.

C0E4276E932AC5C3AA23523FB6EA9A8E84B0E52D

RV'ing with my space station.

Any tips for increasing payload capability, or is it a bit trial and error?

SSTOs are probably my favorite thing to build in KSP. I have made quite a few, but these are my latest designs:

HS-210 Photon

Stable, agile, and incredibly easy to fly, the Photon is a good all-around SSTO.

R77EIxcl.jpg

HS-830 Hercules

This unwieldy brute of a spacecraft was designed with coolness before efficiency. It uses 8 turbojets and 3 rockets to get into orbit, and doesn't have much fuel left when it gets there. After refueling, though, it has a large fuel capacity and seating for 15 kerbals, making it a great shuttle for carrying crews around the Kerbin system.

qCkSdQol.jpg

HS-211 Superdart

Based on the design of the Dart high-altitude jet, this SSTO is much more efficient than the Photon, but is very risky due to its small fuel supply. The pilot must be very careful with their ascent profile if they want any hope of achieving orbit.

oOt138sl.jpg

Been playing for nearly a month now, my station is about a quarter finished and my SSTOs are flying better and more efficiently than ever. Here are the two current revision that I consider fully capable at the moment.

Mk. 68-A SSTO Spaceplane (Download next week when I finish building some nice looking payloads)

*Built to ferry 3 man crews, small amounts of fuel, small probes or satellites to LKO

* Future "B" version will carry 15 Kerbals and act as escape vehicle for ISS clone, replacing "Orion" style capsule/module and orbital rescue module

*33T loaded, 5T (MAYBE 7T) payload capacity, 4 PDEs, 2 LV-T45s, 2 docking ports, theoretically capable of Munar orbit and return

*Basically does everything the Mk. 37 version did all the way through A-G models but faster and more efficient

*Completely reusable with KAS refueling/loading

screenshot130_zpsa491f4b4.png

screenshot131_zpsa2d5571e.png

screenshot132_zps84bccd42.png

Mk. 44-C "Wasp" Class SSTO Spaceplane (Download next week after I finish payloads)

*Now fully Munar capable with reusable landers and rovers in cargo bay

*Has been tested with 12T payload

*57.5T Fully loaded

*Need to further tweak fuel levels for larger safety margin

*Completely reusable with KAS refueling/loading

*Fixed "heavy" landing issues, reinforced and remounted landing gear

*Increased lift to improve sluggish liftoff when loaded down

*Current "D" model is unmanned, carries 5 full FLT-800 tanks to LKO, can also carry 6 Kerbals in crew module for rescues

screenshot145_zpsba420549.png

screenshot147_zpsaf66c405.png

screenshot155_zpsbd84ee27.png

Not quite in the same league as some have already posted but here are a couple of my designs so far.

This one used 3 Turbo fans, 3 Lv909s for orbit achievement and 1 Nerva for everything else.

2n2CoaG.png

And this one is simply pretty interesting to look at.

sArGSsQ.png

In keeping with my obsession with Airplanes that can fly to space, I present to you the Type 23 Diamond.

It isn’t perfect, but it works : >

I've just built this so I'm not sure how it handles re-entry. My previous SSTO tumbles on re-entry :<

If you would like to try this Type 23 Diamond yourself, Download Link » http://www./?9yk23c5qg8xamuk

Action Groups.

1.Toggles Air Intakes + TurboJets.

2.AeroSpikes.

3.Nuclear Engine.

Or.. was it 2 Nuclear.. 3 AeroSpkies.. mmmmmmm I can't remember (゜x ゜)

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mphzuoiuki1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t
Spelling

I found a floor in my design (╯°v°)╯︵ ââ€Â»Ã¢â€Âââ€Â»

The Type 23 Diamond handles re-entry Perfectly~ no tumbling or any abnormalities, flaps don't go crazy flapping up and down like a lot of the aircraft I have seen..

But..... Once I got down to about 5000 feet after re-entry I put time acceleration on and both wings ripped off!!! xD

The funniest part is that it can still fly like this.. haha!!

Here is two screenshots showing it.

tumblr_mpjmqzQrPj1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpjmqzQrPj1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

R2 Version Update >> http://www./?nwcvp3hfym600g2

Just a quick fix version, added some more structural integrity and fuel.

If any of you are able to test this craft with docking to something in orbit and screenshotting it and posting it here, I would love you long time!!!!

Pretty much I don't know how to randevu in space and would love to see this SSTO docked to something xD

*edit*

Just showing the updated version works with some more image spam xD

tumblr_mpjqjsUkfz1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpjqjsUkfz1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpjqjsUkfz1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpjqjsUkfz1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpjqjsUkfz1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpjqjsUkfz1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t
I Am Awesome

Nice B1 style :D Like it.

Thanks! It was accidental; it's basically a result of trying to close off the Payload Bay in a tidy way, move my COL aft, and still keep a resemblance to my previous "Arrow" design (which seems to be a SSTO name that is de rigueur) . Once I noticed the results I certainly didn't shy away from it though. :cool: In white like this i think it looks like the Russian Blackjack. This is what I have been doing lately:

x90T2cD.jpg

Just something I'm playing with to test the limits of Air Hogging. It works so well that I end up with over 3/4 oxidizer left in those two little tanks. Which is fun, but this ship isn't really useful for anything. It looks cool though!

d2moS1E.png

I have since reduced the number of intakes (from something large ?? to around 20 per engine) in a bid to lower drag and get to 30k+ faster. It also looks better, is lighter, and I have noticed no appreciable performance change. There is definitely some point of diminishing returns there, but I'm not enough of an engineer to crunch the numbers. I'm sure you've come across the answer building your amazing behemoths.

I've also been trying to get a 10 man Shuttle working. Right now it's.. well it's pretty terrible! haha But I've learned a ton doing it.

b5lnDN6.png

Edited by Exothermos

Lately, I have been messing around with just getting orbit, with no other purpose than to look really cool while doing it. :cool:

This is my result:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I also have a non SSTO version, with just jet fuel. It still flies really well.

One thing to note here, is that this is the very first time I have ever landed back at KSP with any of my attempts, and I even landed on the runway to boot!.

hiho,

watched "Spaceballs" a few days ago and it inspired me to craft that bus.

jtmnhx.png

here is my early SSTO version (only the first is SSTO capable):

CB5DF286ABD3F58B01B75F3BDEE4F7E018F4FA98

E34999F003371060BA318645085DDED6E9358FF3

2B83802A42D620765AD0D0304A5D31743EB81141

took a while to balance it and there is still an issue with "hyperdrive" aka rockets (pitching up - because of COM i guess...).

it can drive with rover wheels, however you cannot takeoff with them because of the 60m/s wheel limit... liftoff is at ~100m/s

now i need a "i <3 uranus" sticker and a paintjob. :D

anyone know the bus name?