[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

I have shamelessly copy-pasted these Science definitions into a Github repository...

Got it, will update the lead post sometime tomorrow. Thanks!

EDIT: Note: The original file was about 1000 lines. The current file (11/03/2013 11:22 PM CST) is about 1500 lines. Even with the extra lines for instructions/chat stuff... awesome.

Edited by codepants

I've added a bit more, and who edited my munar landed EVA entry with the KSC Denial of sightings?

i dont know, but i read it and thats awesome. imagine normally playing the game and suddenly seeing that. would scare someone.

My contribution: (I hope its not too long)

KerbinInSpace = As we gaze down upon the planet below us it truly makes one feel so much like a giant to gaze down upon the home world. Yet also so small to see everything you once new looking so insignificant from this vantage. Kerbin was a cradle and our sun like a magnificent father so grossly incandescent. Today we grow up, and head out into space to visit the brother’s and sisters of our world. We know not yet what we may find, but we do know that we will find it out there amongst the stars.

Added a bit more, made some corrections, corrected some idiotic mistakes, etc...

Thank you, thank you! And thanks all for your contributions so far!

In my opinion lines matter more than words here, as each line is akin to an entry, whereas even with 1,000,000 additional words there could only be five really long new entries. Currently at 1650 lines which means ~650 more than the original file.

plenty more entries, removed some more idiotic entries, corrected some mistakes, removed a few curse worded entries, expanded the left/right margins and default indent, corrected plenty of indentation mistakes.

This seems to be shaping up rather nicely.

plenty more entries, removed some more idiotic entries, corrected some mistakes, removed a few curse worded entries, expanded the left/right margins and default indent, corrected plenty of indentation mistakes.

Thank you, the only thing that keeps me from downloading this mod is worrying about things like that, so now I can go ahead and install it.

Thank you!!! I can't maintain all 1800 lines by myself so it really helps when people chip in like this. :D

I've added many new lines that should fit the original Squad style. I don't know if anyone wants to double check what I wrote but I think it's all done properly.

I hope no one is offended, but I think items like this don't work and are a bit too much and am wondering if it could be removed?

"The Goo spontaneously explodes, destroying your helmet and melting your face off. Ok, just kidding. It’s not really doing anything. But it could if it wanted."

I don't know if anyone wants to double check what I wrote but I think it's all done properly.

I hope no one is offended, but I think items like this don't work and are a bit too much and am wondering if it could be removed?

Thanks for your contributions. The community seems to be doing a pretty good job of self-regulating, so I'm sure your content will get checked for proper implementation.

Since the face-melting comment has been there for a while I am guessing nobody else finds it offensive. Of course, you are always free to remove it in your own .cfg file. The file isn't fait accompli but part of the interesting thing about community developed mods is that they often feature "interesting" content.

I'd like to suggest the following rules to people who add to this:

* Stay a way from pop culture references.

* If your entry has to go to the second line, it's probably too long.

* Think about what Squad wrote and keep to that format.

* Stay away from exclamation points and other extraneous punctuation. A single period at the end of your statement is best.

* Use proper grammar and tense. Writing a present-tense action log does not fit what these entries are supposed to do.

---

My niece is playing and some of the entries are very confusing to her as they have no previous reference for her to compare them to.

I'd like to suggest the following rules to people who add to this:

* Stay a way from pop culture references.

* If your entry has to go to the second line, it's probably too long.

* Think about what Squad wrote and keep to that format.

* Stay away from exclamation points and other extraneous punctuation. A single period at the end of your statement is best.

* Use proper grammar and tense. Writing a present-tense action log does not fit what these entries are supposed to do.

---

My niece is playing and some of the entries are very confusing to her as they have no previous reference for her to compare them to.

The default Squad lines break these rules, so I disagree with all but the last one.

We should really limit pop culture references to things related to space, like the default 2001: Space Odyssey reference.

does anyone know how to add biome specific logs? like what squad does, because all i see is surface landed: no other things related to surface

The biome-specific logs are there:

KerbinSrfLandedLaunchpad

KerbinSrfLandedRunway

KerbinSrfLandedKSC

KerbinFlyingLowGrasslands

KerbinFlyingLowHighlands

etc.

Keep looking!

Entries like

You begin to hear a faint radio transmission, but fail to understand the dialect or language that is spoken. A few seconds later you lose the signal.

or

You hear a faint radio transmission on your comms console. “S&ace is%_tion 142 ha$ su$%_ined major hull dam_ge fr#m met_or s%r*ke. $e_d Re%cue†You hear a loud explosion followed by a crackle emit over the comms speaker followed by static. Your attempts to get back in contact with the unknown vessel proves useless.
seem to be far outside the style of the Squad entries, to name one issue.

Does anyone else take issue with these?