[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

@team.leit, pt1: Right, changed recommended advice in original post to be "return to space center" instead of "revert flight". Sorry, brainfart by me there.

@biohazard15: Yeah, it's some weirdness to do with the selection code. Have to fiddle with it.

@entaran, pt1: Date put in thread title!

@entaran, pt2: I think stock KSP does that to an extent. How much of a gap are we talking?

@team.leit, pt2: Did that same ship work in stock KSP?

I am not sure, I will check later today after I get some sleep. Why did you have to make such a good mod? Thanks for making my Christmas though

team.leit

Edited by team.leit

Something seems pretty screwy with the Laythe SOI, perhaps it's too small? I got into an elliptical orbit at below escape velocity, but still had an SOI exit node at the apoapsis. I also managed to get a Laythe intercept with a "free" orbital injection, which should be impossible unless I somehow manage to enter the SOI at below escape velocity. Otherwise, it looks really interesting!

Something seems pretty screwy with the Laythe SOI, perhaps it's too small? I got into an elliptical orbit at below escape velocity, but still had an SOI exit node at the apoapsis. I also managed to get a Laythe intercept with a "free" orbital injection, which should be impossible unless I somehow manage to enter the SOI at below escape velocity. Otherwise, it looks really interesting!

I haven't touched Laythe's mass, its SOI should be identical to the stock one. However, as noted in the known issues part, there's definitely something screwy with Jool as a whole, also present in the stock game... I managed to get into an orbit around Vall in the regular game without having any sort of orbital insertion. It seems that you sort of "overshoot" the SOI entry, and by the time the game catches up, you've moved a bit, so it puts you in with a slightly different position and velocity. The escape node at apoapsis is weird, though...

Now all we need is Alternis-compatible version of Planet Factory (why have one gas giant system when you can have two? Krag, I hope you do reading this!)

BTW, how about a "satellite of a satellite"? I kinda liked Sentar-Erin-Pock system.

Edited by biohazard15

Interesting; I wonder how well this one goes with other mods. Kerbal Alarm Clock in particular. I'm pretty adept at planet-to-satellite transfers and can perform one without difficulties, but I still need the launch window planner for interplanetary transfers.

Now all we need is Alternis-compatible version of Planet Factory (why have one gas giant system when you can have two? Krag, I hope you do reading this!)

BTW, how about a "satellite of a satellite"? I kinda liked Sentar-Erin-Pock system.

Planet Factory "works" but the planets of that plugin will be a bit (actually a lot) altered as all Krag does is instance another planet and modify some of the PQSMods

Just downloaded and having fun. Somehow, your mod made my framerate go higher, than before.

Now we only need someone to make ejection angles, and dV map.

It's because of the light optimisations Nova made.

I've also noticed it on my surface pro, the game is actually playable on it now.

Wow! What a blessed Christmas gift. I know just recently I was thinking to myself, man, it'd be awesome if Kerbin was located around Jool. If this works I want to complete your challenge (to land and return from Tylo) and record a video of me doing it. I'll probably put it up on my YouTube channel or something.

@team.leit, pt1: Right, changed recommended advice in original post to be "return to space center" instead of "revert flight". Sorry, brainfart by me there.

-snip-

@team.leit, pt2: Did that same ship work in stock KSP?

Nevermind, it is a flaw with the ship desgin

I encountered a bug with the planet positioning (I think I saw this same issue in your WIP thread). I had one probe orbiting Kerbin and one rocket I was about to launch. As soon as the flight scene loaded this happened.

http://imgur.com/a/Wrn64

edit: Reverting to the VAB fixes the problem but the Kerbin-orbiting probe is still in solar orbit.

Edited by ddavis425
imgur albums still not cooperating

First off Nova, great work! Love the warmer colouring, been following your development thread from the get go, and love what you've done in the plug-in. Have you got any further visual changes or physical changes you're thinking of making to the unchanged bodies aside from what's on the "Planned" list? Maybe this mod could even evolve into adding planets to get the Kerbol system to the vision you had when you were still on the dev team. Now that would be, if I remember your plans correctly, awesome.

Does anyone know if KSP accounts for shear differences in gravitational force during SOI changes? I want to say that buggy orbits are possible when you have a massive body orbiting very close to another massive body but I don't want to sound like A Guy On The Forums Who Knows What He's Talking Aboutâ„¢.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.