Increase the forum's user timeout

technicalfool

It's annoying. You work on a nice reply or a detailed post, hit the button and "YOU ARE NOT AUTHORISED."

I can understand why the timeout. Security and all that. However, does it have to be so short? Could the timer not be reset if you, say, navigate to a new forum page while logged in?

glad I spotted this thread as I nearly made my OWN thread concerning this. I just made, then LOST a significantly long edit to a thread I have over in the Mission Reports forum. I have it set to remember me, and yet it timed me out AS I was editing the post, TWICE. I have it set to accept cookies from KSP, but it still cut me off. The second time it happened, I KNEW it was going thanks to the first encounter, so I was ready for it, but still. thats rather bothersome to be auto-logged out mid post.

glad I spotted this thread as I nearly made my OWN thread concerning this. I just made, then LOST a significantly long edit to a thread I have over in the Mission Reports forum. I have it set to remember me, and yet it timed me out AS I was editing the post, TWICE. I have it set to accept cookies from KSP, but it still cut me off. The second time it happened, I KNEW it was going thanks to the first encounter, so I was ready for it, but still. thats rather bothersome to be auto-logged out mid post.

<old post snipped>

Whups, the checkbox under the username. Well, I've ticked it. We shall see. Any more booting-off episodes, I'll bring it up in a reply here.

Still, having the timer reset when a logged in user navigates through the forum would mean people who like to delete their cookies could still have a nice experience without causing site admins a security headache.

Edited by technicalfool

Still, having the timer reset when a logged in user navigates through the forum would mean people who like to delete their cookies could still have a nice experience without causing site admins a security headache.

I'd be surprised if that's not what happens already. Are you saying you log in and if the timer's an hour long, you can navigate around the forum for 59 minutes, then start a post and type in it for 2 minutes, click submit and no dice? I don't know of any forum that does that though I have no experience with vBulletin.

Put an exception for this forum's cookies. Cookies aren't inherently evil any more than cast iron pots are tools for murder. Not cooking breakfast because your neighbor got brained by his wife is ridiculous.

If someone's frequently deleting their cookies, they can't really expect the forum to remember who they are all the time -- the software kind of relies on some sort of ID so not just anyone can log into your account. That's the purpose of having a password, really.

I'd be surprised if that's not what happens already. Are you saying you log in and if the timer's an hour long, you can navigate around the forum for 59 minutes, then start a post and type in it for 2 minutes, click submit and no dice? I don't know of any forum that does that though I have no experience with vBulletin.

No, more like you navigate around the forum for 59 minutes, and still have an hour left because you've been active and doing things on the forum.

Put an exception for this forum's cookies. Cookies aren't inherently evil any more than cast iron pots are tools for murder. Not cooking breakfast because your neighbor got brained by his wife is ridiculous.

I agree. For some reason, people seem to think I don't. Hell, I've designed sites for people. It's very difficult (read: impossible) to write a shopping cart without at least a session ID stored somewhere on a cookie.

However, having the timer reset itself so long as you're still active and doing stuff (and therefore still obviously present at the computer) would be nice.

No, more like you navigate around the forum for 59 minutes, and still have an hour left because you've been active and doing things on the forum.

However, having the timer reset itself so long as you're still active and doing stuff (and therefore still obviously present at the computer) would be nice.

You said it does reset, then said you want it to reset. I'm confused. Unless you mean in the first sentence that that's what you WANT and not what actually happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.