[1.6.1] Soundtrack Editor 4.6 (2019-01-28)

pizzaoverhead

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone checked to see if this still works with the latest version of KSP? If not then I'll have to try it out and post my findings :)

(I know people are asking if it works, but doubt anyone has tried)

Edited by JonBar

28 minutes ago, JonBar said:

Has anyone checked to see if this still works with the latest version of KSP? If not then I'll have to try it out and post my findings :)

(I know people are asking if it works, but doubt anyone has tried)

I haven't tried this yet, anxiously awaiting to see if it does!

3 hours ago, JonBar said:

Unfortunately it does nothing, at least it didn't crash the game I suppose! (Tried x64 version only)

Anyhow, this is a mod I will always keep an eye on.

I just tried it, and got the same results. Not working. Hopefully the @pizzaoverhead is still planning to maintain this mod...

21 hours ago, JonBar said:

Unfortunately it does nothing, at least it didn't crash the game I suppose! (Tried x64 version only)

Anyhow, this is a mod I will always keep an eye on.

Are your music files in .mp3 or .ogg format? A page back it was mentioned that the mod doesn't seem to recognize files in .mp3 format correctly, but converting them into .ogg format fixes this. This might still be the reason why it's not working in 1.1.

I'll just take this chance to also add my voice to those clamoring for an update to this mod. Now that we no longer have to deal with memory overflow crashes in KSP, it makes memory-hungry atmosphere heightening mods like this one all the more interesting. Here's to hoping you haven't forgotten about Soundtrack Editor, @pizzaoverhead.

17 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this mod. I'm several thousand kilometers away from my computer at the moment. Work will resume when I return.

Woah! I hope your trip is going well :D. Like I said with KSPRC, an artist's hand cannot be pushed. Take all the time you need. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

@pizzaoverhead, I was hoping I might be able to start making song playlists before the mod is actually released :) - I'm planning on making a massive music overhaul with playlists for space, surface (Atmospheric playlist, non atmospheric playlist), landing, interplanetary, Building, the works. I would have done it sooner if the low RAM ceiling let me (And if there where more scene options).

Edited by Avera9eJoe

On 5/2/2016 at 10:38 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this mod. I'm several thousand kilometers away from my computer at the moment. Work will resume when I return.

Cheers,

Here is hoping pizzaoverhead lands in front of his PC to resuscitate this essential and most wonderful MOD. KSP is not the same without a custom soundtrack.

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but since 1.1, there is one more important reason to get Soundtrack Editor working again and that is the general state of the KSP background music after the big Unity 5 update: 

Apparently, something went terribly wrong with the way background music was compressed in 1.1 or alternatively the way it is played back in Unity 5, because since 1.1 (including 1.1.1 and 1.1.2), all tracks sound washed out and artifacted. It's especially noticeable in the theme music on the initial menu screen. My guess is that everything was compressed with a much too low bandwith, something around 64 kbps, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, this drives me crazy during actual gameplay, because once you have heard it, you cannot unhear it and in its current state the music now just sounds broken to me. So this mod would be the perfect way of both getting rid of this issue and introducing an even nicer auditive backdrop.

PS: I already tried to extract the old music from the sharedassets files and replace the music in the new version with the extracted one, but unfortunately, I didn't succeed.The above described issues have been reported here: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7856 and again here (by me): http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9612

29 minutes ago, Sethur said:

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but since 1.1, there is one more important reason to get Soundtrack Editor working again and that is the general state of the KSP background music after the big Unity 5 update: 

Apparently, something went terribly wrong with the way background music was compressed in 1.1 or alternatively the way it is played back in Unity 5, because since 1.1 (including 1.1.1 and 1.1.2), all tracks sound washed out and artifacted. It's especially noticeable in the theme music on the initial menu screen. My guess is that everything was compressed with a much too low bandwith, something around 64 kbps, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, this drives me crazy during actual gameplay, because once you have heard it, you cannot unhear it and in its current state the music now just sounds broken to me. So this mod would be the perfect way of both getting rid of this issue and introducing an even nicer auditive backdrop.

PS: I already tried to extract the old music from the sharedassets files and replace the music in the new version with the extracted one, but unfortunately, I didn't succeed.The above described issues have been reported here: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7856 and again here (by me): http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9612

There's also an audio glitch when you enter, then exit the research facility.  The Research facility music overrides the birds.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to change the music that's being played at the Main Menu? Thanks! :D

Edit: Ok so I figured that out just now [that was fast] by replacing the Main Menu attribute (if that's how you put it) with a track (soundtracks/music/ex.) But now I ran into a problem with the game bugging out when I open the VAB and the SPH. I don't hear any music playing in the background and when I try to load a craft, the game exits. Is there a way to fix it?I use KSP 1.0.5 and installed SoundtrackEditor x64 if that helps. Thanks for the help!

Edited by tomoha

Mmmm I've been listening and collecting some great songs throughout the past months and once this is out I plan on making a couple of soundtrack packs :) - 6+ building songs as well as 10+ space tracks and even more for other various things in the main soundtrack pack. The others are more situationally based like a space ambient soundtrack pack and such. @pizzaoverhead, I'm curious though, will it be possible to have specific playlists for a very strict set of parameters? I.E. have a "docking playlist" start when you have been within 2 kilometers of another vessel while above 60 kilometers above [All] planets for over 10 seconds? Would such a complicated set of parameters be easily configurable for the average joe? Pun both intended and not intended :P Likewise I'm curious if I could make a "reentry playlist" for if you are above [x] m/s and have entered the atmosphere above [X] planet.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Project update: GUIs galore! Here's a quick overview of what they show at the moment:

The main Soundtrack Editor window on the left lets you open and close whatever other windows you want. In its present iteration it also displays the current situation; a list of all the things that can be used to trigger playlists (more coming in future, send your ideas!), and what value they're showing at any given time.
The Playlists window in the middle shows you any playlists you've made, what tracks they contain, and under what conditions the playlist is played. Rules that are currently preventing the playlist from being played are highlighted in red, making it easier to figure out when things aren't working as you expect. In future I'll be expanding this to be an in-game playlist editor so you'll never have to edit a playlist configuration file if you prefer.
In the top right, we have the beginnings of an audio database test panel. You can use it to make sure your tracks are being loaded properly, or just explore all the audio that is in the game, including sound effects.
Below that, we have the audio player. It'll show you the name of the song that's playing, what's queued next, as well as letting you skip, stop or mute it if it's annoying you.

DBtMAOj.png

On 7/6/2016 at 3:14 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Mmmm I've been listening and collecting some great songs throughout the past months and once this is out I plan on making a couple of soundtrack packs :) - 6+ building songs as well as 10+ space tracks and even more for other various things in the main soundtrack pack. The others are more situationally based like a space ambient soundtrack pack and such. @pizzaoverhead, I'm curious though, will it be possible to have specific playlists for a very strict set of parameters? I.E. have a "docking playlist" start when you have been within 2 kilometers of another vessel while above 60 kilometers above [All] planets for over 10 seconds? Would such a complicated set of parameters be easily configurable for the average joe? Pun both intended and not intended :P Likewise I'm curious if I could make a "reentry playlist" for if you are above [x] m/s and have entered the atmosphere above [X] planet.

Having specific playlists for very stricts sets of parameters is a big part of what the next release is all about. The reentry playlist is already possible, as pictured. Range to the nearest vessel isn't in the mod yet, but is a great idea! These are some great examples for rulesets for playlists. If you come up with any more, let me know.

Here are some ideas for rules so far, with various difficulties of addition:

• Time of day
  • Timewarp/physwarp level
  • Ground contact
  • Accellerating
  • Engines in use
  • Vessel has been destroyed
  • Vessel has target
  • Target range max/min
  • Target relative velocity max/min
  • Current biome
  • Vessel name (e.g. only play Danger Zone when flying the craft named Tomcat)
  • Current vessel icon (e.g. only play this track for landers)
  • Apoapsis max/min.
  • Periapsis max/min.
  • Radar altitude
  • Vessel in sunlight

50 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Project update: GUIs galore! Here's a quick overview of what they show at the moment:

The main Soundtrack Editor window on the left lets you open and close whatever other windows you want. In its present iteration it also displays the current situation; a list of all the things that can be used to trigger playlists (more coming in future, send your ideas!), and what value they're showing at any given time.
The Playlists window in the middle shows you any playlists you've made, what tracks they contain, and under what conditions the playlist is played. Rules that are currently preventing the playlist from being played are highlighted in red, making it easier to figure out when things aren't working as you expect. In future I'll be expanding this to be an in-game playlist editor so you'll never have to edit a playlist configuration file if you prefer.
In the top right, we have the beginnings of an audio database test panel. You can use it to make sure your tracks are being loaded properly, or just explore all the audio that is in the game, including sound effects.
Below that, we have the audio player. It'll show you the name of the song that's playing, what's queued next, as well as letting you skip, stop or mute it if it's annoying you.

DBtMAOj.png

Having specific playlists for very stricts sets of parameters is a big part of what the next release is all about. The reentry playlist is already possible, as pictured. Range to the nearest vessel isn't in the mod yet, but is a great idea! These are some great examples for rulesets for playlists. If you come up with any more, let me know.

Here are some ideas for rules so far, with various difficulties of addition:

• Time of day
  • Timewarp/physwarp level
  • Ground contact
  • Accellerating
  • Engines in use
  • Vessel has been destroyed
  • Vessel has target
  • Target range max/min
  • Target relative velocity max/min
  • Current biome
  • Vessel name (e.g. only play Danger Zone when flying the craft named Tomcat)
  • Current vessel icon (e.g. only play this track for landers)
  • Apoapsis max/min.
  • Periapsis max/min.
  • Radar altitude
  • Vessel in sunlight

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for the detailed report! I hope to release a couple of sound packs for you :) - The vast majority of the tracks I will be using are CC so there shouldn't be any issues with copywrite.

45 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

@pizzaoverhead, that all sounds great!

Now, WHEN?!  :0.0:

I just gotta have my Myst soundtracks in space.

Oh, and thanks for all you do!

I didn't know the OP of Hyperedit was watching this thread :) TIL - Also, it's funny that you should say Myst... I haven't ever played the game but I know of it from listening to Martin O'Donnell, the song writer for Halo, Halo 3/ODST and the majority of the other halo games. I did some research on him and apparently Myst was the game that inspired him to go into a career as a video game composer. He wrote the music for the Riven, the sequel to Myst. Caught my attention when you mentioned it :P Perhaps this is new info to you?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I didn't know the OP of Hyperedit was watching this thread :) TIL - Also, it's funny that you should say Myst... I haven't ever played the game but I know of it from listening to Martin O'Donnell, the song writer for Halo, Halo 3/ODST and the majority of the other halo games. I did some research on him and apparently Myst was the game that inspired him to go into a career as a video game composer. He wrote the music for the Riven, the sequel to Myst. Caught my attention when you mentioned it :P Perhaps this is new info to you?

Since you mention it, wifey and I are huge(YUGE!) fans of all the Myst games, and we still actively "play" (read "hang out in") Uru Live, which is totally still online.  I even run another website related to music streams by players.

That name isn't familiar to me, but all of the music sure is.  Everything I've read and heard says that Robyn Miller, one of the brothers that created Myst and most of the rest, did all the music for Riven as well as several others.  The allegedly official soundtracks I have show Robyn as the artist.  However, there are frequently many people involved in such things, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some I'd never heard of.

Cyan Worlds is finishing a new adventure game called Obduction, due out at the end of July, and it looks awesome, and we can't wait.

Oh, and sorry for hijacking this thread!  :blush:

*3AM* ... @pizzaoverhead, I was thinking as I walked home, I think it would be handy to have a "time buffer" for playlists starting and stopping. That way if you're on the ground and then hit some air for 5 seconds your playlist won't stop playing or same if you throttle off for a split second. Make sense? Something like "Play music after [X] seconds have passed of the parameters being met" or vice versa "Don't stop playlist until [X] seconds have passed of the parameters not being met".

14 hours ago, Ezriilc said:

@pizzaoverhead, that all sounds great!

Now, WHEN?!  :0.0:

I just gotta have my Myst soundtracks in space.

Oh, and thanks for all you do!

As Soon As It Works Well Enough For General Usage™. It's currently got Fun Features® such as randomly changing tracks, ignoring game pause, ignoring F2 window hiding, and buttons that do nothing other than look pretty.

14 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for the detailed report! I hope to release a couple of sound packs for you :) - The vast majority of the tracks I will be using are CC so there shouldn't be any issues with copywrite.

I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the sound packs! We're getting pretty close to the dream of a dynamic KSP soundtrack.

6 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

*3AM* ... @pizzaoverhead, I was thinking as I walked home, I think it would be handy to have a "time buffer" for playlists starting and stopping. That way if you're on the ground and then hit some air for 5 seconds your playlist won't stop playing or same if you throttle off for a split second. Make sense? Something like "Play music after [X] seconds have passed of the parameters being met" or vice versa "Don't stop playlist until [X] seconds have passed of the parameters not being met".

Ha! It's funny you should say that! I wrote the same note at around the same time of day :D You also might want to wait until the current track stops playing or fading out before switching to another one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.