[1.8.x-1.10.x] SmokeScreen 2.8.14 - Extended FX plugin (18 April 2020)

sarbian

15 hours ago, Astral_Nomad said:

I dont think its a specific RP problem.. same issue with HotRockets.. so Im guessing with SmokeScreen being the the mutual dependency, Im betting that SmokeScreen would be the problem.

No, this is probably RP. I need to redo the configs for the new particle system as it seems to have changed the look of the plumes. An update is slowly being worked on and will be out soon™

5 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

No, this is probably RP. I need to redo the configs for the new particle system as it seems to have changed the look of the plumes. An update is slowly being worked on and will be out soon™

uh ? It should not change anything in the last version.

Hey @sarbian I'm experiencing a performance issue on my system with the shuriken particles, please see my post here:

Now that was using the 2.7.1 version of smoke screen, I have since updated to the 2.7.2 version of smoke screen and it has improved performance of the shuriken particles significantly, however I still find that the old particle system performs much better at least on my system.

With the same launcher and max particles set to 3000 (which this launcher will provide) I get 26-30 fps with the shuriken particles and 55-60 fps with the old particle system.

This really isn't a big deal as I can just change all the configs in real plume back to using the old system, I just thought the information might be useful to you, are there any logs I can provide that you would be interested in seeing?

7 hours ago, Akira_R said:

I just thought the information might be useful to you, are there any logs I can provide that you would be interested in seeing?

Unless the log is filled by some spam I doubt it will help. I will have an other look at perf soonish.

6 hours ago, sarbian said:

Unless the log is filled by some spam I doubt it will help. I will have an other look at perf soonish.

I didn't actually look in the logs but the debug menu showed no spam during the performance hit, I'll do some more testing to see if I can narrow anything down, the lag seemed to go away once out of atmosphere but by that point I was using a different engine that only pushes out 400-500 particles.

24 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

I didn't actually look in the logs but the debug menu showed no spam during the performance hit, I'll do some more testing to see if I can narrow anything down, the lag seemed to go away once out of atmosphere but by that point I was using a different engine that only pushes out 400-500 particles.

Some info on your PC may help. CPU and GPU ?

I've also now compared new and old now, since I've 'stealth-upgraded' to the Shuriken patch via Realplume. This is using an older (0.11.1) and newer (0.11.4) version of RP, so it's not a perfect comparision.

Same vessel, capsule, and a few tanks with 49 vectors: Old system is 60fps on pad looking at the sky. 30 during launch, dropping to 24 and 20 as physics and heating/aero-fx set in.

New system is 24fps on pad (with engines disabled!), and 14 and lower when engines burn. Really strange!

PC specs are:

Windows 10 64 bit

I5 4570 @3.2GHz (maybe 3.4, no overclocking capability tho)

RX470

10Gb RAM

If you want output.log: (didnt see anything interesting flying over it) https://www.file-upload.net/download-12334764/output_log.txt.html

EDIT: Checked it two times. Also, killing engines instantly improves the performance again (even if i never activated them).

Also, ant engines dont seem to cause performance issues.Probably less particles in RPs.

Edited by Temeter

• 2 weeks later...

Just to help I'm having very similar performance issues.

I notice significant lag on the launch pad without engines disabled when I have this Mod and RP stock installed and even more so when engines ignite. 

I did a remove and replace and slowly install all mods to find this smokescreen, RP and RP stock as the culprits.

Without these mods I was at 40-45 fps on launch pad and 35-40 in the air with about a 150 part ship

with them installed I see drops into the 20s even when I'm not flying 

Can any information I may have help? 

I5 6600k OC'd

GTX 970

Windows 10 64 bit

16gb RAM

If you need anything else from me, let me know!!

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Nightside said:

If my goal is to increase fps on a laptop (no real graphics card), would adjusting the settings provide much improvement?

Yes, turn down the number of particles until you find a good balance and also disable physics and collisions if you don't feel like you need them

11 hours ago, Nightside said:

What is the difference between globalCollideDisable and globalPhysicalDisable?

From what I understand globalCollideDisable will keep particles from bouncing off things like the ground and other objects in their way, while globalPhysicalDisable means the particles are not affected by game physics, so smoke will just billow around like its in a vacuum.

Edited by Drew Kerman

I figured this was good since no one is complaining on here, but I can confirm that it is still working fine in 1.3.0, with Realplume and Module Manager of course. 

Still fiddling with the setting to improve performance at launch.

Hey all,

I'm trying to fix a bug I believe stems from smokescreen (I use hotrockets and realplume-stockalike but have taken them out and confirmed smokescreen to be causing the issue) where every engine shows ignited even when they haven't staged (i.e. on the launchpad and beyond) when using certain mod's engines. I play with a pretty heavily modded (part-wise) game, so it doesn't do this with every part, just a handful of mods. So far all of FASA's engines (no surprise, it's not updated for 1.2.2) as well as procedural SRBs (and likely a few other as well that I can't think of at the moment) are doing it (an example of this issue can be found in this thread from a few years ago (seen below). I'm wondering what causes this and how I can possibly fix it. I'm assuming it has to do with the engine fx in the affect part's configs, but I just need to know what the change could be so I can either manually fix it or if it's something I can do via MM patch.

Thanks in advance!

On 7/30/2014 at 8:22 PM, Rhedd said:

liftoff-after.jpg

(screenshot extracted from post, text is not as relevant but the issue is the same)

Edited by shoe7ess

1 hour ago, shoe7ess said:

where every engine shows ignited even when they haven't staged

That's usually a problem with the effect config, where you have effect in the cfg that are not linked to an engine. You should check the patched engine config in the MM cache file 

18 hours ago, sarbian said:

That's usually a problem with the effect config, where you have effect in the cfg that are not linked to an engine. You should check the patched engine config in the MM cache file 

Thanks, I didn't know where to start so that should help quite a bit!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.