[0.25/0.90] Better Atmospheres [V5 - June 14th, 2014]

Thesonicgalaxy

rbray is re-writing the whole config system for a big update, but as of now there isn't an exact eta for it. I too would love many things fixed now for my RSS game.

-Regarding memory crashes, ksp has always struggled running large part mods without texture reductions, it's a native problem being limited to 32bit (small memory limit). You can't expect to have mods such as b9, kw, and tens of others running with graphics enhancements, especially if they involve hi-res/additional textures, let alone without some form of texture reduction.

While on the topic of texture reduction, Sonic, I'm not sure if rbrays active texture reducer mod's BoulderCo config accounts for this mods textures? I certainly didn't notice any reduction in cloud resolution in game with it running? That could just be me though.

Edited by pingopete

Well, this is simply amazing. Congratulations!

Anyway, I've got a question: do any of you people come out with a sensible scientific explanation for the clouds on Minmus?

Also, if someone can say where this capsule is from, it would be the must appreciated. :)

i love this mod, thanks again!

http://i.imgur.com/wBzwcIb.png

Yeah guys, I think you're just gonna need to accept that EVE is pretty damn glitchy at the mo, rbray is re-writing the whole config system for a big update, but as of now there isn't an exact eta for it. I too would love many things fixed now for my RSS game but I'm having to wait for this release. TheSonic, I and several others are working on trying to fix everything we can at the moment but unfortunately for the better part, you may just have to sit tight and wait for EVE 7-4 :( ...and maybe occasionally nudge rbray ;)

-Regarding memory crashes, ksp has always struggled running large part mods without texture reductions, it's a native problem being limited to 32bit (small memory limit). You can't expect to have mods such as b9, kw, and tens of others running with graphics enhancements, especially if they involve hi-res/additional textures, let alone without some form of texture reduction.

While on the topic of texture reduction, Sonic, I'm not sure if rbrays active texture reducer mod's BoulderCo config accounts for this mods textures? I certainly didn't notice any reduction in cloud resolution in game with it running? That could just be me though.

Whoa-Whoa-Whoa... "pretty damn glitchy"? I don't think so. It's working as intended. (EDIT: Knee-Jerk reaction, Sorry.) Unfortunately, working as intended and working optimally are two different things. Believe me, I'm working as fast as I can to get everything sorted out and working well.

I've found a way around the "City-Lights" hover and terrain mismatch, and I figured out how to manage ridiculously big spheres in RSS. I'm also using my BSc. to design a much more generic config/GUI management mechanism, which is turning out beautifully now.

As for ATM, people would continuously complain about low resolution with ATM+EVE, so I excluded it from re-sizing (though it is compressed). Due to the sheer size of the sphere, I didn't really have much choice. Unlike parts, which are very small, you tend to notice lower resolutions much more easily.

Edited by rbray89

Welcome to Visual Enhancements. There's not much I can do about that I'm afraid. You'll have to edit the DayCity image and move it to fit with the land.

Haha, you guys are bending the mod WAY past what I initially intended. Kudos on that :) On the other hand, please don't bash it because it because it isn't doing things it wasn't built for.

I've been keeping an eye on what you guys have been doing, and I've been working on making sure your lives will be easier when you decide to create a mod pack, and ensuring that more features will be added to compliment what you have done so far.

• Fully configurable shaders for terrain and scaled-space bodies (better for terminators, colors, etc.)
  • Daytime city textures
  • Higher-vertex count spheres for RSS
  • Less-glitchy configs/GUI
  • Generally much easier to maintain to make my life easier and faster to release new features

Is there anything else specifically you would like to see?

Whoa-Whoa-Whoa... "pretty damn glitchy"? I don't think so. It's working as intended. (EDIT: Knee-Jerk reaction, Sorry.) Unfortunately, working as intended and working optimally are two different things. Believe me, I'm working as fast as I can to get everything sorted out and working well.

I've found a way around the "City-Lights" hover and terrain mismatch, and I figured out how to manage ridiculously big spheres in RSS. I'm also using my BSc. to design a much more generic config/GUI management mechanism, which is turning out beautifully now.

As for ATM, people would continuously complain about low resolution with ATM+EVE, so I excluded it from re-sizing (though it is compressed). Due to the sheer size of the sphere, I didn't really have much choice. Unlike parts, which are very small, you tend to notice lower resolutions much more easily.

Sorry, people kept complaining about memory crashes with and I was just trying to explain that ksp can't handle to much at once. I was also reffering more about the understandable gitchyness with RSS, which is not what you're mod was designed for, and was also me stressing through my finals revision!:( Rbray this mod, obviously, wouldn't be doable without your work, and I thank you for that. And you're right, it is the fact that BA is attempting to run up to six 8k textures at once :P Not your mods fault.

That sounds awesome, thank you for you work on the update, can't wait for its release :) Reckon you could create layer naming? Also, if possible, maybe some more tweakable parameters for the volumetrics in the alt+n menu, size, alpha, texture? That'd be cool!

Haha, you guys are bending the mod WAY past what I initially intended. Kudos on that :) On the other hand, please don't bash it because it because it isn't doing things it wasn't built for.

I've been keeping an eye on what you guys have been doing, and I've been working on making sure your lives will be easier when you decide to create a mod pack, and ensuring that more features will be added to compliment what you have done so far.

• Fully configurable shaders for terrain and scaled-space bodies (better for terminators, colors, etc.)
  • Daytime city textures
  • Higher-vertex count spheres for RSS
  • Less-glitchy configs/GUI
  • Generally much easier to maintain to make my life easier and faster to release new features

Is there anything else specifically you would like to see?

Sorry, I do love your mod. I understand I'm sort of breaking your mod by doing things that wasn't even intended to happen.

Looks good, but is very unrealistic. Small bodies can't have atmospheres.

This is Kerbal Space Program, If you're looking for realism, check out real solar system mod.

@IDan, this has been asked sooooooooooooooooooo many times lol, you should check the OriginalPost of the original mod (Visual Enhancements) for info; else search the forum.

*Delete the city lights folder*

Edited by pingopete

Minmus and Laythe just look bad =/

Okay.

Not exactly sure on the entire point of this post.

I mean, it's not like you're actually going to tell me why the look bad. As I haven't been told this before, so I can't know why they look bad.

Seriously, learn Constructive Criticism. That would help a lot.

Both Minmus and Laythe look like out of a comic book. Minmus looks just very bland and uninteresting to me, with 2 hues of cyan. Laythe is far too dark, if oxygen is still present in the atmosphere, a body of that size shouldn't be able too hold it in such a quantity. If it's a atmophere of hydrocarbons, I don't know if they could produce such a hue. The Mun also looks far worse than it's siblings, there seems to be no transition between the light grey areas and the dark grey areas.

I love the new atmospheres and shadow effects on the dark sides of planets, but Minmus looks a bit strange with the fog. Maybe you could make it thinner or even change the fog into clouds higher above the moon?

I love the new atmospheres and shadow effects on the dark sides of planets, but Minmus looks a bit strange with the fog. Maybe you could make it thinner or even change the fog into clouds higher above the moon?

I agree - just lighten up the fog a bit, and perhaps reduce its elevation to only affect areas below 200 meters (or maybe even less, if that's possible). I sort of imagine the fog coming up from the frozen lakes.

pict5388.jpg
But I love every other aspect of this mod.
Edited by Andrew Hansen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.