[1.2.x] Part Angle Display - including seamless, highly accurate rotation v0.3.2.4

Padishar

Ok, it IS early and I have only had 2 cups of coffee... How do i 'select' the part to be worked on???? When i click on a part, it detaches and is no longer movable...

Sometimes things are so easy, they are confusing, at least to me....

I am trying to get landing gear perpendicular to my 'round' base...

The standard part rotation controls (which is what this mod currently modifies) only work while a part (or subassembly) is picked up. Pick the part up and move it so it is attaching where you want it and then use the WASDQE keys to get it aligned. The firespitter mod includes a very helpful wheel alignment mode that displays guidelines on the part showing how it is aligned. For accurate alignment you can change the "Fine" value down to something quite small, such as 1 degree, and the three +/- controls to 0.1 degree and you can then rotate by 1 degree with shift and 0.1 with alt. The F and shift-F keys can be used to cycle the Fine (shifted) value through various preset values or you can reset it to the default of 5 degrees with alt-F.

I am working on an update that allows you to rotate parts while they are still attached but it needs more work (and/or restraint on the part of the user) or you end up with silly things like this:

8WswxMB.jpg

Two little feature requests:

1, could you provide a .version file for KSP-AVC to check against for updates?

2, is it possible at all for me to press and hold Alt+w for instance and have it kind of .. hard to explain, but copy this test right here and then press Ctrl-V. See how the text repeats itself for as long as Ctrl-V is pressed? I've forgotten the word for it, it's probably something simple, but anyway - that, but with moving the parts. I want to keep the finesse of a 0.1 angle movement, but also move it large distances. The normal 90 degree is too far and it's a pain to change the angle movement to something 5 degrees, get the part roughly where I want it and then change it back to 0.1. Just keep it on 0.1, and keep moving the part by 0.1 degrees for as long as I hold down Alt+W etc.

Anyway yeah.. I kinda forgot I had this installed while I was playing around with SP+ - the stock bug of attaching things in weird orientations when then nearby other things really goes to town on SP+ parts so I kept thinking 'man, I wish I had PAD installed..'.. looked at Gamedata while updating some other mod and woohoo! :D Thanks again for a glorious addon :)

1, could you provide a .version file for KSP-AVC to check against for updates?

I'll have a look at this for the next update.

2, is it possible at all for me to press and hold Alt+w for instance and have it kind of .. hard to explain, but copy this test right here and then press Ctrl-V. See how the text repeats itself for as long as Ctrl-V is pressed? I've forgotten the word for it, it's probably something simple, but anyway - that, but with moving the parts. I want to keep the finesse of a 0.1 angle movement, but also move it large distances. The normal 90 degree is too far and it's a pain to change the angle movement to something 5 degrees, get the part roughly where I want it and then change it back to 0.1. Just keep it on 0.1, and keep moving the part by 0.1 degrees for as long as I hold down Alt+W etc.

You mean "auto-repeat". I don't think it is really necessary, given that the normal and fine (WASDQE and shift-WASDQE) increments can also be changed. I usually have the normal setting on 30, fine on 5 and the alt settings on 0.1. The F key can be used to change the fine setting to 1 temporarily and shift-F cycles it back again (or alt-F to reset it directly to 5).

However, it might be quite nice (and I'm a bit surprised that Unity doesn't have a simple way of doing this already), so I will have a bit of a play with doing it at some point. Keyboard auto-repeat is usually defined with a configurable delay before the repeats start and then another configurable delay between the repeats, e.g. an initial delay of 250ms and then 100ms between repeats means that after the initial keypress (which works immediately) there is a quarter second delay before the key starts repeating at 10 repeats per second. There are several ways I can think of to implement this but I'm currently working on the "in-place" adjustment stuff so it will be a while before I get to it...

I'll have a look at this for the next update.

Woo! Thanks!

You mean "auto-repeat" .... There are several ways I can think of to implement this but I'm currently working on the "in-place" adjustment stuff so it will be a while before I get to it...

Yeah, that's it. Auto repeat. There's no rush, I forgot the normal rotation can also be changed so I'll play with that and hopefully it should suffice, but still, would be nice to have auto-repeat for when I'm really finely tuning part angles somewhere down the line. Thanks for your hard work :)

• 3 weeks later...
Would it be possible to add position adjustments as well as orientation? I very often would like to tweak the position of various parts I've attached.

This is something I have been looking at but it requires the plugin to work in a very different way. At the moment it simply relies on the stock editor code to handle the attachment of the parts using the rotation that is set. To do positional movement and/or rotation of parts while attached needs the plugin to handle all the transformation of the parts itself. This is non-trivial and I've not had a lot of time to work on it recently but I will hopefully release a version that provides for movement of surface mounted parts that have no children in the next few days...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see a better vertical snap / alignment. Right now I'm using editor extensions, and though that's really good, the "vertical snap to the middle of the part" is rather limiting. I'm a huge stickler for lining up parts just right, and right now I often have to rotate parts to odd angles then switch between SPH/VAB modes and play with symmetry settings to get everything just right.

EE's vertical snap is a stock feature of the editor that just isn't exposed by the stock game. EE just allows you to toggle the flag that makes the stock editor code do it.

Implementing vertical snap during dragging would be very awkward but, once I've managed to get the movement and rotation of already attached parts working, it should be fairly simple to allow top/middle/bottom snapping at least and snapping to other parts attached to the same parent should also be reasonably easy. I've got loads on at the moment though so I'm not getting much time for modding, but watch this space...

Doesn't work here. Alt+P does nothing.

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'EditorWindow' from assembly 'PartAngleDisplay'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PartAngleDisplay.EditorWindow.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

(Filename: Line: -1)

What can it be?

Doesn't work here. Alt+P does nothing.

<snip>

What can it be?

Well, it looks as though the stock toolbar support code is failing. This isn't totally unexpected as I'm not actually calling it in the way I'm supposed to at the moment but you are the first person to report any problem with it. You could try looking in the PartAngleDisplay folder for the config file (look down in the PluginData folder assuming it is there). Change the useAppLaunch value to false and it wont try to use it anymore and the exception should go away which should allow it to initialise correctly. If the settings file doesn't exist then you will need to create the following folder:

GameData\PartAngleDisplay\PluginData\PartAngleDisplay

...and then download this file and put it in that folder.

If this fixes the problem then I'll have to look at calling the stock toolbar correctly...

The next version is taking longer than planned due to other commitments and I am now going on holiday for a week and KSP 0.25 is due to be released pretty soon. However, I have it on good authority that the latest version (0.2.4.5) will continue to work fine with KSP 0.25 when it is released so there's no reason to panic if the release happens before I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, version 0.2.4.5 is working fine with KSP 0.25.0.642. I will be releasing an updated version with various changes built against the latest KSP assemblies in the next few days but you can happily use the current version for the time being.

• 1 month later...

As I posted in your other thread, I have been working on translation adjustments but it is currently on hold until KSP 0.90 is released as there are significant changes to the editors coming and I don't want to have to write all the code only to have to significantly change it later.

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason this really bogs down the game. I went from running at ~98% speed with a 200-part ship to ~30% speed, and it takes forever for scene changes (VAB/Space Center/Flying etc). I also can't exit the game properly anymore. It asks "are you sure you want to quit?" I click on yes and everything freezes... Removed the mod and everything works fine again. Tried redownloading and reinstalling, same deal. BUT, it only does it on Win32 bit, on Linux 64bit it's fine...

These are all ksp versions 0.25.

Using:

B9

Davon Throttle Control

Firespitter

FS Hangar Extender

FTT

Karbonite

MechJeb

For some reason this really bogs down the game. I went from running at ~98% speed with a 200-part ship to ~30% speed, and it takes forever for scene changes (VAB/Space Center/Flying etc). I also can't exit the game properly anymore. It asks "are you sure you want to quit?" I click on yes and everything freezes... Removed the mod and everything works fine again. Tried redownloading and reinstalling, same deal. BUT, it only does it on Win32 bit, on Linux 64bit it's fine...

Given that the mod only does anything in the editor scenes and no-one else has reported anything similar, I find this very hard to believe. Can you upload an output_log.txt file from your windows version? Hopefully that will shed some light on the real cause of your problem...

Given that the mod only does anything in the editor scenes and no-one else has reported anything similar, I find this very hard to believe. Can you upload an output_log.txt file from your windows version? Hopefully that will shed some light on the real cause of your problem...

I'm having trouble reproducing it but I did notice that sometimes my memory usage is approaching the limit of 32-bit... I'm looking for another small mod to add to see if it happens again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.