[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Thanks mate.

And since I'm already here asking stupid questions, can one of you provide a quick tip of which variables need to be changed? Or is it just a case of setting all details under Orbit to be the same?

EDIT: nevermind, all sorted. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Fizbanger

Thank you all for explaining the range and satellites to me. I get it now! Omni is everywhere but can get cutoff by solid bodies (or horizons lol), point stuff out, point it in, etc. I re-read the guide and what you all wrote and it finally clicked. Thanks!

Hey gents, I have another what you probably would call stupid question re Remote tech.

By the way let me know if this thread isn't the best place for these questions.

The issue I have is that I've setup a network around the equator and the polar orbits of Kerbin. If I have a craft at say Minmus for example I can now use the DTS antenna to just point at "Kerbin" and it sorts out whichever satellites it needs to connect to the relay network. However, if I have the same craft at Minmus try to do this with a Communotron 88-88 then I cannot focus it on Kerbin. I can point it at individual satellites with no issues but I cannot set it to "Kerbin". I get yellow coloured "ok" text when I try to do this. I have however used the 88-88 to target "Kerbin" successfully from greater distances (e.g. Duna) and it worked fine.

What am I doing wrong? Does the 88-88 come with a minimum range I have missed?

The 88-88 has a very narrow cone, like other long-ranged antennae. Pointing at a celestial body is only any use if the cone is wide enough when it reaches that body to see some other antenna.

On the plus side, you have enough equatorial stuff that some of it will eventually fly into the cone.

Hullo! I can't seem to get the mod to work. I put the remotetech folder in the gamedata folder in my ksp directory, but it just refuses to work. I have several mods "installed" however only 2 of the around 7 work it seems D:

Hullo! I can't seem to get the mod to work. I put the remotetech folder in the gamedata folder in my ksp directory, but it just refuses to work. I have several mods "installed" however only 2 of the around 7 work it seems D:

Hi there. Let me suggest that there are a lot of interested gamers on these boards that would happily help you, but you've given almost no information. No logs, no screenshots of your directory structure or of the in-flight scene, not even a description of what is happening other than "refuses to work". This is a very stable, very popular mod, so if it isn't working for you, it is almost certainly user error, but without more information as to what is (and isn't) happening, logs, and screenshots, helping you will be nigh impossible.

We've all been there. Take a deep breath, read a couple of different places where to find what you need to post, take some screenshots and post again.

I would bet on some kind of module manager mess

check you have one and only one .dll file named ModuleManager..........dll

Anyone else experiencing what I do?

I noticed that connection to Mission Control does not follow 2 hops (so 3 connections). That means that I have a satellite (SAT1) which has a direct view and an antenna set to Mission Control (I have control), and another set to SAT2, which does not have sight of Mission Control, but I have control over it through SAT1. SAT2 also has one of its antennae set to "Active Vessel", and has direct view to SAT3, which has one of its antennae set to SAT2, but I have no control, as it says no connection. On the map view I can see a link between SAT2 and SAT3, but the link between SAT1 and SAT2 has disappeared. If I switch to SAT2, it has connection, and the link between SAT1 and SAT2 shows up. The problem persists if I change "Active Vessel" on SAT2 directly to SAT3.

Is this a feature I'm not aware of? Do I do something wrong here?

Versions: KSP 1.0.2, RT 1.6.5. I have a bunch of mods installed, but I'm able to reproduce with only RT installed.

Thanks in advance

Anyone else experiencing what I do?

I noticed that connection to Mission Control does not follow 2 hops (so 3 connections).

Is this a feature I'm not aware of? Do I do something wrong here?

Versions: KSP 1.0.2, RT 1.6.5. I have a bunch of mods installed, but I'm able to reproduce with only RT installed.

Thanks in advance

AFAIK, you should be able to connect via as many connections as you like (though I haven't personally had that situation since 1.0 (yet))

FWIW, your symptoms do sound familiar, but if I am remembering it correctly, it's been some time since I read someone describing that.

Just a couple questions to eliminate the obvious possibilities and help with further troubleshooting:

What RemoteTech settings changes (if any) have you made from the defaults?

What are the antennae involved with this link path on each satellite?

What are the ranges between each satellite?

Do all the satellites have power?

I just installed RemoteTech on my Hard career game because... well, I guess it was going too well. :) (Thanks for the amazing mod!!)

Thirty part limit? Only the basic solar panels? Tight power budget? Very precise orbits? No problem.

kRTqSSA.png

Keeping the solar panels facing the sun?

dwM6zbL.png

It only takes a couple orbits before the solar panels are completely in shadow. I've tried leaving on SAS and the KILL rotation command in the flight computer, but half the time when I check back on them, they're facing the wrong way, and there's only 40 charge left - charge that drains really fast with no power coming in, leaving me with a dead satellite before I can react.

Unfortunately, since sun-tracking solar panels are above 100 science tier, and since on Hard it's 900,000 funds to upgrade R&D, I'm going to be stuck static solar panels for a while. Is there any way to program a RemoteTech satellite to keep a certain attitude with respect to the sun?

if you're not viewing the craft, then it doesn't drain electricity. So once you place your comsat and can just leave it be, there's no reason to ever really go back to it and so it won't die regardless of where its pointing. If you left it with a full battery, when you return and it happens to be on the night side it will still have a full battery. There are mods (Background Processing) that do simulate electrical drain for craft on rails, but RT2 and the stock game do not. However, if you want you craft to stay oriented properly for realism sake, check out Persistent Rotation.

I just installed RemoteTech on my Hard career game because... well, I guess it was going too well. :) (Thanks for the amazing mod!!)

<snip>

Is there any way to program a RemoteTech satellite to keep a certain attitude with respect to the sun?

Have you tried using the custom setting? You can set the pitch, roll, and heading manually, and IIRC, this is always set to the SOI celestial body. So a 0 pitch will always point your sat at the horizon line, a 90 heading will point you due west, and set your roll so your solar panels are always facing away from the planet. Granted at sunrise and sunset orientations, the body of your sat will block the sun, but you will get direct sunlight for most of your orbit.

Also, I'm sure you are deactivating your DP-10... it only takes a little juice, but every bit counts.

Finally, you can deactivate the battery on your probe, and if you find power running out rapidly, reactivate it and walk into the light, Carol Anne.... er, turn your sat towards the light.

Good luck! I can't imagine KSP without this mod. I didn't launch a single sat when 1.0 came out as I refuse to play unmanned without Remote Tech. :)

Is there any way to program a RemoteTech satellite to keep a certain attitude with respect to the sun?

I use KIS, so I could launch sats with a minimum of panels, but around the body of the satellite. (Enough to keep the DP-10 and probe core running.) I oriented those sats to point north or south, so that orientation is not an issue.

Then I launched Bob with a wrench to add on additional panels. Incidentally, since parts in the Kerbal's pockets (seat inventory) don't count against the part limit, I also packed his pockets with solar panels.

Perhaps not the elegant solution you were looking for, but it worked for me.

if you're not viewing the craft, then it doesn't drain electricity. So once you place your comsat and can just leave it be, there's no reason to ever really go back to it and so it won't die regardless of where its pointing. If you left it with a full battery, when you return and it happens to be on the night side it will still have a full battery.

Yeah, I abused the crap out of this to do all the fiddly maneuvers to get my constellation in the perfect spot.

There are mods (Background Processing) that do simulate electrical drain for craft on rails, but RT2 and the stock game do not. However, if you want you craft to stay oriented properly for realism sake, check out Persistent Rotation.

I'll definitely check these out. I feel cheated that my power budgeting didn't pay off.

Have you tried using the custom setting? You can set the pitch, roll, and heading manually, and IIRC, this is always set to the SOI celestial body. So a 0 pitch will always point your sat at the horizon line, a 90 heading will point you due west, and set your roll so your solar panels are always facing away from the planet. Granted at sunrise and sunset orientations, the body of your sat will block the sun, but you will get direct sunlight for most of your orbit.

The problem is, I need really precise pointing because I cut my power budget so close. So having 0.33 exposure isn't good enough.

Also, I'm sure you are deactivating your DP-10... it only takes a little juice, but every bit counts.

Yes. :)

Finally, you can deactivate the battery on your probe, and if you find power running out rapidly, reactivate it and walk into the light, Carol Anne.... er, turn your sat towards the light.

How on Kerbin does turning off your battery help?

I use KIS, so I could launch sats with a minimum of panels, but around the body of the satellite. (Enough to keep the DP-10 and probe core running.) I oriented those sats to point north or south, so that orientation is not an issue.

Then I launched Bob with a wrench to add on additional panels. Incidentally, since parts in the Kerbal's pockets (seat inventory) don't count against the part limit, I also packed his pockets with solar panels.

Perhaps not the elegant solution you were looking for, but it worked for me.

Hey, it was elegant enough for Hubble. Now that's a good mission to get the rendezvous contract.

Edited by beabop

Hey, it was elegant enough for Hubble. Now that's a good mission to get the rendezvous contract.

I forgot to mention - you really want a light, either one you bring, or Kerbol. It's doable in the dark, but for me, the results were much uglier.

OTOH, it would be more realistic to work on the panels when they aren't generating electricity.

So front page says this doesn't work with MechJeb. Is that, like, for real? I just use MJ to achieve orbit - there is a lot to MJ so does anyone know if just that bit works?

I'm having problems with RemoteTech. Periodically it ignores directions to orient to prograde. Yes, I've checked that I still have signal to the ground and power.

Possibly related with the other problem I'm having, which is that sometimes control inputs seem to stop doing anything (posted at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124497-Control-inputs-stop-working%21).

Are there any known incompatibilities with any of the mods on this list?

zzTa51k.png

How on Kerbin does turning off your battery help?

I routinely disable one battery on my probes to keep as a reserve. Even if you don't have a connection, you can enable the battery again at a later time and take whatever action (like rotating your craft) that is necessary. Think of it as a reserve battery.

Hello guys,

Awesome mod. When installing a bunch of new mods today one of them broke remote tech in my sounding rocket probes. I have not figured which one yet. I am now loading the new mods one by one to find out whom the culprit is.

While doing this I noticed that mods "tagged" as being up to date for remote tech. Are not working with it. As I went through their part config files they had remote tech attributes attached to their parts but it did not work. So I decided to make my own, seperate config files. And it works. Here is the first one, just to ask if anyone sees anything wrong with it? (yes I copied the soundingrockets config and adjusted it based on other configs also :P .. further questions below)

// RTSoundingRockets
// This is free and unencumbered software released into the public domain.
// All the code from RemoteTech is in GPLv2

@PART[NBprobeCone1m]:AFTER[ModRocketSys]:NEEDS[RemoteTech,ModRocketSys]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}
%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = start
%OmniRange = 5000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

Now this works, but it brings up a number of questions:

For now I placed the .cfg in the remote tech folder. Does it make any difference where I put these files? Or should they be loaded as the last folder preferably? What order does KSP load things in?

Is everything this easily moddifiable? If so again should I make a ZZZ directory with all configs that I want to overwrite? I guess this is Modulemanager right? If so need to keep the latest MM dll installed right?

Hope I am in the right thread :)

Great mod! Thanks to the developers! I really like that the signal delay is simulated in the game. But after launching my first interplanetary probe I found out, that the delay works for flight computer commands only (antennae deploying, science, staging, SAS on/off, RCS on/off, kill rotation and so on) but it doesn't work with direct input commands (WASD, QE, ZX from the keyboard). Of course, I can just keep my hands off the keyboard and control it from flight computer when the delay is more than 2-3 seconds for example. But I'd like to have some in-game solution.

I started checking all mods, uninstalling and installing them one by one. The problem was in the installation order or some kind of interference I suppose, I deleted Scan Sat, kOS, Precise Node and Kerbal Alarm clock and then added them one by one launching the game after each one. I have many other mods, but I didn't touch them. Uninstall/install of these mods helped.

Installation order:

1). Alarm Clock

2). Precise Node

3). kOS

4). Scan Sat

I don't know the reason, I'm not a modder. But I'm just describing my actions, that solved the problem. The input delay is back!!! Maybe that would be helpful for someone.

Edited by panzerwaffe044
Problem solved

Of course, I can just keep my hands off the keyboard and control it from flight computer when the delay is more than 2-3 seconds for example.

Self-control is the best solution here. While the signal delay does a great job simulating the effects of deep space missions, the RT flight computer can't handle every situation. For example, try using the flight computer to line up your craft's cameras for a good photo. You'll be thankful for immediate WASD response then!

... but it doesn't work with direct input commands (WASD, QE, ZX from the keyboard). Of course, I can just keep my hands off the keyboard and control it from flight computer when the delay is more than 2-3 seconds for example.

Last time I checked, it delayed control inputs as well. Admittedly, that was pre-KSP 1.0

Self-control is the best solution here. While the signal delay does a great job simulating the effects of deep space missions, the RT flight computer can't handle every situation. For example, try using the flight computer to line up your craft's cameras for a good photo. You'll be thankful for immediate WASD response then!

You are right, that's why I'm going to use kos for such purposes, but the game is rather new to me, so many things to master. Right now I just want to find out what's the problem with the delay.

Edited by panzerwaffe044