The Plernerts!

Felsmak

Thanks! :)

It just takes some practice. I don't really consider myself that good yet, but I do like planets and have created lots of them throughout the years. So I have at least improved quite a bit since the first one I made back in 2009. :P

a9nCAab.jpg

Thanks! :D

Just two questions though: are the planets all scaled correctly towards each other? Aaaaand, can we get bigger pictures? I am thinking desktop background here :)

I think so. I drew them over a bunch of spheres I created in 3ds Max according to the measurements on the Wiki. I probably won't draw any bigger pictures, though. At least not in a while. These, especially the small moons, were all created for this scale, so scaling them up would not be good. :P

Though, sorry to criticize, but I don't like the way you did Duna, it seems there's a dark brown alien virus poisoning it's surface. Though maybe it's cooler that way :sticktongue:

I was going for a higher contrast with that one, kinda like the real Mars. But yeah, I should probably redo it. It was actually the first one I drew, so I wasn't really quite sure what I was doing then. :P

The maria on the Mun could probably use some rougher edges, too.

Edited by Felsmak

Thanks, everyone! :) Still struggling a bit with Jool, though. Might try to make up some new moons for the other, imaginary planets in the meantime.

Duna's made of lava and Vall's melting. Epic.

Heh, I was going for a more Europa-ish look for Vall. The idea is basically that new, brighter ice has leaked out through the cracks in the old, darker ice. Or something.

Edited by Felsmak

Heh, this is the second time someone neglects Dres today. Poor Dres gets no love.

But yeah, neither Dres nor Eeloo are, ehum, real planets. I might include Dres when I've made up some dwarf planet friends for it, but Eeloo will be included as a moon of the second gas giant when I care to draw that one.

Speaking of gas giants and making things up. Here is Naal, the outermost of the Kerbal gas planets! As I imagine, of course. Equally imaginary moons will arrive shortly!

eXNwNDq.jpg

Edited by Felsmak

And now Naal has some moons as well! Much needed. I had to give it its own picture, though. Looks kinda stupid to include it in the solar system when nothing is between it and Jool.

Anyways, Naal is basically supposed to be the Neptune analog for the Kerbal solar system. It has three moons: Cobb, a dark and blockish asteroid; Kyle, an icy world that orbits Naal in the wrong direction; and Loopy, a small lump of ice with a ridiculously eccentric orbit - kinda like Nereid.

Kyle is probably way too similar to Triton, yes. But I really like Triton. :P

Wow, that's quite a compliment! Thank you!

Anyway, here's another preview. This time I'm making the mysterious GP2! I was originally going for a somewhat blueish colour scheme, but then I played around a bit with the hue sliders and discovered this one instead. I kinda like the warmer colours better, actually. It sort of makes sense that the planet is warmer, too. Given that it's so freakin' massive and all.

wmgyNkJ.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.