Squad why cant we keep the old wing parts?

2-3 people are not "the masses". Just saying. And according to tonality, drama and style this thread should be moved to the rocket builders subforums.

Nope this doesn't belong in the rocket building forum. If anything it should really go in the suggestions forum.

I should have put it there but this is a good place for now.

Give it time mate, a lot of people feel the same way we do.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently, none of you have figured out how to drag files from one windows folder to another.

Yes, yes we do, thanks.

We would like then to come back as STOCK.

I like the new wing part personally. However there are several old parts that have no decent new version which is a problem.

Also small aircraft are now a pain to make because of the thickness of the new wings.

Also the control surfaces are reacting the wrong way on mine so the planes nosedive when I try to pull up. :/

Nope this doesn't belong in the rocket building forum. If anything it should really go in the suggestions forum.

I should have put it there but this is a good place for now.

Give it time mate, a lot of people feel the same way we do.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes we do, thanks.

Huh? Post a poll isn't working for me... 0_o

Could someone else make a thread with a poll? It appears that something is wrong on my end...

Or... never mind. They're watching. :P

I dunno. I can find that I can do a lot more with the new parts than the old parts, not to mention they both behave better when building a plane and perform better in flight. I can see people being attached the parts the are used to, but as someone who occasionally builds planes, but doesn't do it a WHOLE lot, I already like the new parts better than the old ones, but that's just me :P

Yes, yes we do, thanks.

They are stock. They are old stock, discontinued items, just like NES, or PS2. Just because Wii or PS4 came out doesn't mean your old games were suddenly modded. Quit whining like a 3 year old, and copy the (Samuel Jackson adjectives here) files into a directory named OldAero.

Personally, I like the new parts and that old crafts get obliterated. It's part of the challenge of building.

Btw I get the anger you guys have but,Stop playing the game? For 2 control surfaces and two wing???? Please guys,Dont be so easy..

Those control-surfaces are exactly what I utilize the most. My micro-probe and aircraft development rely on them.

2-3 people are not "the masses". Just saying. And according to tonality, drama and style this thread should be moved to the rocket builders subforums.

We should engage in some roleplaying to make that happen. I'll be the CEO and engineer, you can be the tester. :wink:

Wait so do you want them to remove these new parts? Cuse you just said the existence of these parts puts this game on the level of low end FPS shooters. (wut)

The simple fact there are around 2 times more parts to play around with definantly means there are more designs to be made.

Every time the game is updated people whine about how they can't do stuff they used to do. This is no different, new parts = you must make new designs. Yes it sucks you can't go make your old stuff, but hell you can make 10x more new stuff with these new parts.

Simply put the old parts were ugly. The new parts are shiny, new and pretty. But the fact they are new upsets some people that are to use to "the old ways". I said similar things when they added the SLS, and the mainsale took a back seat. I said the same thing when they added the Science Lab and probe spamming took a nosedive. I said the same thing when they added raipiers and all SSTO fanatics were screaming OP.

And so here I'll say the same thing, which I will probably repeat when they remove the old MK3 parts and add the new a shiny ones.

Its time to move on, not backwards. Progress is using these new and admititly better parts (after the bugs get handled, this is an alpha)

rather than ask the devs to take a step backward and waste time on that instead of moving foward (AHEM mk3 parts wont impliment themselves!)

They are stock. They are old stock, discontinued items, just like NES, or PS2. Just because Wii or PS4 came out doesn't mean your old games were suddenly modded. Quit whining like a 3 year old, and copy the (Samuel Jackson adjectives here) files into a directory named OldAero.

Personally, I like the new parts and that old crafts get obliterated. It's part of the challenge of building.

Sigh...

That's just rude mate, I'm not whining. Simply tryin to get my opinion across.

Sigh...

That's just rude mate, I'm not whining. Simply tryin to get my opinion across.

He's just short sighted.

An accurate analogy is Sony's decision to remove OtherOS, which actually infuriated the US Air Force.

Wait so do you want them to remove these new parts? Cuse you just said the existence of these parts puts this game on the level of low end FPS shooters. (wut)

The simple fact there are around 2 times more parts to play around with definantly means there are more designs to be made.

Every time the game is updated people whine about how they can't do stuff they used to do. This is no different, new parts = you must make new designs. Yes it sucks you can't go make your old stuff, but hell you can make 10x more new stuff with these new parts.

Simply put the old parts were ugly. The new parts are shiny, new and pretty. But the fact they are new upsets some people that are to use to "the old ways". I said similar things when they added the SLS, and the mainsale took a back seat. I said the same thing when they added the Science Lab and probe spamming took a nosedive. I said the same thing when they added raipiers and all SSTO fanatics were screaming OP.

And so here I'll say the same thing, which I will probably repeat when they remove the old MK3 parts and add the new a shiny ones.

Its time to move on, not backwards. Progress is using these new and admititly better parts (after the bugs get handled, this is an alpha)

rather than ask the devs to take a step backward and waste time on that instead of moving foward (AHEM mk3 parts wont impliment themselves!)

0_o I said they were UNIQUE from the torrent of FPS shooters? Reading comprehension?

Let's imagine a game where there were hundreds of parts that were all loaded at the start of the game and persisted in the memory throughout the game's session. Let's also imagine that over a dozen of new parts are now added on top of the existing ones, arguably replacing currently existing ones in function. Now we have a situation where we're running at a significantly increased memory load, which could cause some people to have serious performance issues running the game. To solve such a situation, one would expect the logical decision to be to remove the parts that have pretty much exact replacements. That's just what we did and was pretty much the thought process behind it.

Now, you may not agree with that decision and that's all fair enough. But we should note the following factors that you have to contend with when considering your reaction to such a decision. You can:

• Observe that we expressed an intention to release a legacy parts pack in the FAQ and look forward to that possibility.
  • Download 0.24.2 from the previous branch on Steam (and the Store iirc) and simply pull over the parts from there into 0.25.
  • Use the fantastic parts from Porkjet and step outside your comfort zone with the designs you create.
  • Create a Forum thread sharing how you've modified your existing designs to suit the new parts.
  • Create a Poll to communicate the desire for a legacy parts pack or not.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot that you can do about the issue you're currently facing and in proportion to many other issues in KSP it's quite solvable. :)

Note: No idea why your poll isn't creating, the Kommunity Guidance Bureau don't have the power to be disabling them on individual threads. ;)

Let's imagine a game where there were hundreds of parts that were all loaded at the start of the game and persisted in the memory throughout the game's session.

Let's imagine the game where assets are loaded only when needed... oh wait, that's not KSP.

;):P

Seriously though - I thought that you guys started to work on a proper content loaders?

Besides - if you already hit a celling - does it mean we shouldn't expect new parts... like... ever?

Edited by Sky_walker

Nope. The new parts are superior. We still have analogues for the old wing parts, and a bunch of new toys in the same package.

Superior how? Again, it's subjective.

The fact that the new wing parts are not condusive to imaginative building as compared to the old parts is just that, a fact.

Spaceplanes have thick wings. Hell, a lot of non-spacecraft but plain old airplanes have thick wings. The old wing parts weren't thick enough, and always looked weird. The new wing parts are better, but could still be thicker. Spaceplanes need thick wings for the extra strength, insulation and heat dissipation, and not least because all sorts of equipment like fuel tanks and landing gear bays are stored inside the wings. Most spaceplanes have a lifting body fuselage that blends smoothly into the thick wings, and this is much easier to pull off visually with the new parts.

Let's imagine a game where there were hundreds of parts that were all loaded at the start of the game and persisted in the memory throughout the game's session. Let's also imagine that over a dozen of new parts are now added on top of the existing ones, arguably replacing currently existing ones in function. Now we have a situation where we're running at a significantly increased memory load, which could cause some people to have serious performance issues running the game. To solve such a situation, one would expect the logical decision to be to remove the parts that have pretty much exact replacements. That's just what we did and was pretty much the thought process behind it.

Now, you may not agree with that decision and that's all fair enough. But we should note the following factors that you have to contend with when considering your reaction to such a decision. You can:

• Observe that we expressed an intention to release a legacy parts pack in the FAQ and look forward to that possibility.
  • Download 0.24.2 from the previous branch on Steam (and the Store iirc) and simply pull over the parts from there into 0.25.
  • Use the fantastic parts from Porkjet and step outside your comfort zone with the designs you create.
  • Create a Forum thread sharing how you've modified your existing designs to suit the new parts.
  • Create a Poll to communicate the desire for a legacy parts pack or not.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot that you can do about the issue you're currently facing and in proportion to many other issues in KSP it's quite solvable. :)

Note: No idea why your poll isn't creating, the Kommunity Guidance Bureau don't have the power to be disabling them on individual threads. ;)

Let's imagine the game where assets are loaded only when needed... oh wait, that's not KSP.

;):P

Maybe squad could try to, I don't know, create a more efficient system where assets are loaded on demand? The choice of sticking to the Unity engine is severely limiting KSP's potential... why not attempt to explore other options such as Cryengine 3? Asset management is something you guys can work out.

I'm implying that there's something Squad can do on the technical side to alleviate these issues.

Seriously though - I thought that you guys started to work on a proper content loaders?

Besides - if you already hit a celling - does it mean we shouldn't expect new parts... like... ever?

I can't really comment on the development of alternate methods of loading content as that's far from my area of expertise. But regarding hitting any sort of ceiling, we haven't really but it's more that we should do everything we can to avoid such a ceiling.

Maybe squad could try to, I don't know, create a more efficient system where assets are loaded on demand? The choice of sticking to the Unity engine is severely limiting KSP's potential... why not attempt to explore other options such as Cryengine 3? Asset management is something you guys can work out.

I'm implying that there's something Squad can do on the technical side to alleviate these issues.

Switching engines at this point is honestly not an option that's even close to viable. Asset management is something that can always be worked on - as is pretty much every part of the game. And I completely agree that they're things we can do on our side to help reduce the memory footprint. But my point was and still is that it's not the end of 'fun' in KSP due to those parts being removed/replaced and there's a lot that you can still do.

Edited by Ted

Spaceplanes have thick wings. Hell, a lot of non-spacecraft but plain old airplanes have thick wings.

Yea, they also do look like a wings, not... planks.

I can't really comment on the development of alternate methods of loading content as that's far from my area of expertise.

Understandable.

But regarding hitting any sort of ceiling, we haven't really but it's more that we should do everything we can to avoid such a ceiling.

True.

For me personally having old wings in isn't important, but I'd enjoy seeing some adjustment to the shape of the wings to allow designing smaller planes. I think some of the problems people have could be migrated by twakeables, though I doubt we'll ever see it knowing how reluctant devs are in adding anything that might even resemble procedural components.

Edited by Sky_walker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.