EVA still an issue?

Jas1126

Will this be addressed anytime soon? Something as basic as EVA shouldn't be so disastrously unpredictable. For instance.. I was Orbiting Kerbin just a moment ago and I EVA my astronaut only to have him fly off the pod and into a vital instrument. Why do you have them bounce so violently? No matter how I positioned my ship the astronaut would go flying off of the pod. And then there's times when EVA works fine.

Why is something so commonly used and critical (in some cases) so neglected?

All you are going to get in this thread is feedback agreeing with you. Have you actually posted a bug ticket pointing it out?

Submitting a ticket concerning this would be like telling somebody that oxygen is good for you. :P What I'm hoping for is a representative to give us some idea when they'll tackle this long-time issue. Seems rather odd that this commonly used and vital mechanic wasn't a top priority on their list of 'things to do'. I could understand the wait for something that only a few experience.. But this is experienced by every single player out there.

I lost Bob due to it (while trying to do an EVA in an suborbital flight during the night, having Bob detach from the rocket and then losing my orientation)

What happens seems to be a large tendence of the Kerbal to move upwards the ladder and then losing grip after the last rung of the ladder.

Usually it seems to help to press S quickly enough (to counter the movement in W-Direction).

I think the 1 man capsule is the only one that has this problem

What happens seems to be a large tendence of the Kerbal to move upwards the ladder and then losing grip after the last rung of the ladder.

Usually it seems to help to press S quickly enough (to counter the movement in W-Direction).

I can (anecdotally) confirm that this method works most of the time. I have gotten so used to this feature that I now just mash F+S as soon as I EVA anyone.

I haven't had this problem until version .25 where when on eva on the ladder my kerbal will 'drift' off the top of it. Only time I've had a kerbal eject from a ship was when I had something attached to the capsule close to the hatch and if the kerbal was still on the ladder he would clip the object. Redesigning my craft resolved the issue so I didn't think it to be a bug but more of a design feature..

I haven't had this problem until version .25 where when on eva on the ladder my kerbal will 'drift' off the top of it. Only time I've had a kerbal eject from a ship was when I had something attached to the capsule close to the hatch and if the kerbal was still on the ladder he would clip the object. Redesigning my craft resolved the issue so I didn't think it to be a bug but more of a design feature..

Can't completely agree, because this ejection apparently occurs more often (at least for me) when craft is pointed other direction than pro/retrograde, especially radial-in/out (tested it with my early "first orbit" crafts). Since craft had just stock chute on top of it, it seems strange that stock parts cause such "design flaws".

Redesigning my craft resolved the issue so I didn't think it to be a bug but more of a design feature..

As Mystique says, "Early first orbit crafts". Nothing blocking or otherwise near the hatch in my experience. When I had a thermometer near the hatch, the forced ejection occurred randomly. In either case, it was random.

I lost quite a few solar panels that way. Clicked on the EVA button and saw my kerbal being ejected rapidly from the pod and hitting stuff on the way. It happens a lot when you are landed (like on the Mun) and the kerbal don't grab the ladder when exiting the pod.

yes, happens far more with the MK1 pod than before, yes the MK1 has always been problematic if you wanted to grab it but not if you go eva from it.

Putting an ladder below it reduces the problem, ketbal manages to keep on most of the time rather than never. make me wonder if this is an issue with bottom attachment not top or side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.