I have found it!! - THE ORIGINAL KERBO LOG!

Moach

Holy thread necro, Batman!

The Shadow? THE SHADOW!?

(nerd points to whoever recognizes the reference)

Who knows what obscure media references lurk in the hearts of Internet users? The Shadow knows.

While this thread has the attention, though: Can anyone on the dev team tell us the origins of Jebediah, Bill, and Bob Kerman specifically? Was Jebediah always intended to be a "BadS," or was that notion more of an idea that caught on among the fans until it was officially implemented?

The Shadow? THE SHADOW!?

(nerd points to whoever recognizes the reference)

The shadow!? I'd backstab him with a ballista.

Yes, I realise there's a gap of a year here. Some things are just *that* obscure :P

And for the record, that was an awesome thread necro, very cool to see this kind of stuff :)

I don't get the whole thing about not "resurrecting old threads". I don't know how many times I've been looking for an answer to something specific in this game, and Google points me to a year-old post that's related.

Anyway, in this case, it's kind of like post-ception. So a post about the history of KSP itself becomes part of history, and is subsequently brought back to the present by somebody digging through the back-posts...Awesome find, and thanks for bringing it back to the front so some of us who hadn't caught it before can see it now!

I've already tried it. I have a little green Jeb that sits in the command pod, although he's not left the ground yet.

I've been escalating my rocket designs, the latest ones have been made of brazed steel tubing and homemade fuel. It's rather fun :P

• 7 months later...

Well, since this is a history thread, I think the "necro" rules don't really apply. I mean - It's history, isn't it?

And I got a couple of things to add:

Jebediah Kerman was very likely named after Jebediah Springfield (perhaps unwittingly) - Jeb, Bill and Bob were initially meant as "placeholder" Kerbal names, since the name generator and the features needed to tally up crew losses members were not yet available at the time...

So three "while we're at it" names were put forth to fill in those early flight seats (kudos to anyone who remembers the Mk1 Pod) - Thing was, they kinda got famous for that...

And that's why today we have them in orange suits - Even if their EVA suits don't match, and even if with career mode there's no way of getting a first launch with them three sitting side by side as they would - Because those three kerbals were the first to bridge the gap between cardboard/tinfoil/dangerous-explosives and computer game :rolleyes:

The first ever recorded Kerbal name was "Kirk" - not because of James T. Kirk, mind you - but far more likely because of Kirk Hemmet (did I ever mention what mine and Harvester's favourite band is?) oh well... that name popped into mine or his head when some cardboard-made thing blew up in a fun way, enough so that a name needed naming for it, so that's how it came along...

That's probably the same for Bill, Bob and even Jeb - The first three names that came to mind after the game had started being developed (or so I think)

Anyhow - Rule is, necro-posting is for threads that are past-second-page old and nobody has anything really new to add (e.g. the infamous "bump")... This thread is indeed really really -REALLY- old... But then again, it's a historical thread, and in it there is record of Kerbal affairs from times of old -- So this might perhaps be an exceptionally un-necro-able thread - I can't think of any others that share the same deal tho...

I do know that by posting this now, this thread will pop up back atop the boards, which for any other threads would indeed be considered a necro-post.

However, the main point of this is the very fact that it's so old...

And perhaps most of the newer players haven't yet visited the "Museum of Kerbal History" :wink:

So up it goes again!

Cheers!

As do I. More players / Rocketeers should take a stroll down the memory lane you've provided :)

You guys didn't happen to take any photos of launches or the models you created in the "testing explosions" stages, did you? Those would be fun to see!

This was an awesome kerbal history lesson. HarvesteR! You need to add the "Museum of Kerbal History" with this drawing in it in 0.24!!!! :D

EDIT: I think there should be a sticky'd thread called "Kerbal History" with the origins of KSP in it with this drawing.

I completely missed this thread the first few times around, I'm glad I got to see it :)

Despite having no idea he would be making a VIDEO GAME about it, Harv had been using the name Kerbal and Kerman for at least a decade, and when he started to make a space game the names just popped back into his mind. And now there's hundreds of thousands of people (maybe millions in the future? I don't know the sales figures :P) of people that are joining Harv's experiments by putting Kerbals on top of insane rockets and blasting them to meet their maker :)

I'm sure that occasionally, throughout all the stresses of developing a video game, Harv sits back and is humbled that so many people share his love of firing Kerbals into the sky... Even if we are doing it in a slightly more digital manner :P

Edited by sporkafife

This thread deserves to be sticked with duct tape.

Do you happen to have any photos of the rockets? or moar stuff? ("More to follow")

And bring back the KIA to KSP pwetty pwease?

Also:

So three "while we're at it" names were put forth to fill in those early flight seats (kudos to anyone who remembers the Mk1 Pod) - Thing was, they kinda got famous for that...

Yay, I get kudos!

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.