Official Orion Launch Thread - 12-4-14

Tux

Trust me, you'll see it from Orlando as long as there is no cloud coverage. Downtown Orlando is some 45 miles from the pad. I live about 130 miles away and can see every launch as long as the skies are clear. Enjoy the show!

Dec. 4th who is streaming a co-launch of the Orion test flight?

Tux; Europe and China ALSO have their own space programs, it is important to state where the launch will be from.

Exploration Flight Test 1 or EFT-1 (previously known as Orion Flight Test 1 or OFT-1) is the first planned uncrewed test flight of the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. Set to launch on December 4, 2014 atop a Delta IV Heavy from Space Launch Complex 37B at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_Flight_Test_1

Edited by Lohan2008

Tux; Europe and China ALSO have their own space programs, it is important to state where the launch will be from.

Well, if the ESA (not Europe) or China had a spacecraft called Orion... I can see why it might be important to state where the launch would be from. But, since they don't, and even if they did it's not scheduled to launch on the 4th of Dec 2014... you're just being pointlessly picky.

Well, if the ESA (not Europe) or China had a spacecraft called Orion... I can see why it might be important to state where the launch would be from. But, since they don't, and even if they did it's not scheduled to launch on the 4th of Dec 2014... you're just being pointlessly picky.

I agree. Neither China nor the ESA have a spacecraft called orion. If they did, it would be highly unlikely that it would ALSO launch dec. 4th.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cool video of what to expect, link from Universe Today.

http://www.universetoday.com/116785/cool-nasa-animation-beautifully-details-every-step-of-orions-first-launch/

Looks like the animation may have fudged prograde and retrograde burns to make it more intuitive (burning upwards to go up...etc.)

No need to watch it live anymore.

Wait, WAT?!? They're LAUNCHING the thing? Fo realz?

My head has exploded.

Yes, but it's not the full craft. The Orion launching for EFT-1 has no solar panels and will stay attached to the Delta Cryogenic Second Stage (DCSS) until CM separation. I don't think there's an engine on the SM for this flight, since they don't need one yet. The second stage on the SLS Block I is also very slightly different. The liquid hydrogen tank on the modified DCSS, called the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage (ICPS) is a bit longer, and I'd imagine they'll add more liquid oxygen as well.

If a problem arises, do you want 7 people inside of a untested spacecraft?

Orion holds 4 people, but still, that would be horrible if a problem happened.

Edited by Woopert

What the hell is wrong with this rocket's appearance?

Sometimes nice and clean, sometimes ugly, sometimes partially burned black.

delta4h.jpg

d4h_demo_06.jpg

article-2405272-1B826AD0000005DC-501_634x1027.jpg

delta-iv-heavy-vandenberg-01-2011.jpg

I don't suppose it's reusable and they're using beat up tanks all over again, that doesn't have sense. They end in the ocean.

What is going on? :confused::confused::confused:

Watch some launch videos-there's always a fireball at launch. Delta IV-M has it too, but it's less obvious. There's some hydrogen leakage before launch, and during startup the hydrogen valve opens two seconds before the oxygen to ensure there's enough in the system for cooling.

Most likely that flames from the engines turned upwards during spooling (well, they ignited the engines before releasing it from the pad). When the flame touches the cold tank (cryogenic tank), the burning process becomes imperfect, leaving particulates - or because the tank itself is within the flame so particulates stuck on the tanks. You can see the same effect by putting a knife diagonally over candle flame. Noticed it first on Falcon 9, thought it's due to the fuel. But seeing it looks worse on hydrogen fueled rocket, then it could be the same mechanism...

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.