KISP: KAA Integrated Space Plan - A Vision of the Future of Kerbalkind

Kerbas_ad_astra

In 1989, Ronald Jones of Rockwell International (manufacturer of the Space Shuttle orbiter, among other things) made a giant flowchart called the Integrated Space Plan. The original has been scanned in high-definition here on Makezine, converted into a vector file by a reader of that site, updated in 2015 into a slick website, and here's some BBC commentary and a Wired article on it. It basically laid out, on one chart, the visions of all of the world's aerospace agencies and companies, on a path from the Space Shuttle in the 1980's to the beginning of "Human expansion into the cosmos" in 2100. It is extremely optimistic, proposing that we would have multiple permanent bases in LEO and on the Moon by now (2015), lunar tourism by the end of this decade, and terraforming Venus and Mars starting in the mid-21st century (e.g. "Create new moons for Mars if required", ca. 2040), among other ambitious projects (though, given the success of the LADEE probe's laser communication demonstrator, we may get the "Advanced laser comm network" a couple of decades earlier than Jones thought we would). It's the kind of optimism and ambition that drives my interest in aerospace engineering, and I think that it's what drives a lot of what we do in Kerbal Space Program, so I wanted to make an Integrated Space Plan illustrating my ultimate plans for spreading Kerbalkind throughout their solar system (and beyond).

I haven't come close to achieving every goal yet (I've only launched a couple of probes into interplanetary space), but I'm working on it. Presenting the KAA Integrated Space Plan!

It comes in two forms. The first, vertically oriented, is what I call the "planets-in-sequence" approach, in which each planet's infrastructure is built up one after the other. The other, "planets-in-parallel", involves each planet's infrastructure being built up as soon as it is technologically feasible (launch windows and funding permitting, of course). Those of us who like to juggle a bunch of missions at once might find the parallel approach more familiar, though the sequential chart is more compact (and looks more like the original Integrated Space Plan to my eyes).

(I've put them both in spoiler blocks, since they're huge images.)

Spoiler

V10uVKn.png

Spoiler

CvuD6gs.png

Essential Addons

Some of the nodes are only meaningful (or become more meaningful) if certain addons are installed:

Recommended Addons

Other addons that I use which fit nicely in this plan:

Extra Recommendations

I used to use these with 0.25, then I stopped during 1.0.x for memory reasons, and now that 1.1 brings Unity 5 and 64-bit executables, I'm using them again (and EVE). They're cool, but be advised that many of them take up lots of memory (>100 MB each in some cases) and are largely duplicated by several mods listed above.

Former Recommendations

Addons which I don't use anymore (mostly because they've fallen out of date with the massive overhaul of 1.1, or I've grown away from them), but do fit in this plan:

• The ASET family, for landers (ALCOR), rovers (ERS and Portable Rover Components with KIS update patch) and Deployable Light Globes (and KIS update patch and Vanguard Technologies Plugin). Konquest will have more cool colonization bits when it gets completed.
    • Keep an eye on CxAerospace as well; it doesn't have any heat shielding ability yet, but it will, and it will have other cool colonization bits when it's finished.
  • Asteroid Day for asteroid-hunting infrastructure.
  • BahamutoD's Adjustable Landing Gear for flexibility in designing aircraft. They've also got motors, which is great for taxiing to survey waypoints with landed aircraft!
  • Civilian Population to allow colonies to be populated without having to bring new colonists aaaallll the way from Kerbin (handy for settling other planets, and for setting up Kerbinoid vs. Spacenoid conflicts -- feel free to use BD Armory to act out said conflicts, but that's beyond the scope of the Integrated Space Plan).
  • Firespitter for early-game airplane parts (e.g. propellers, landing gear). (Obviously, I kept the plugin.)
  • Hangar for keeping utility vehicles on-base without turning the game into "Space Slideshow Simulator 2011". (This one's going through beta testing for 1.0.x, so be careful.)
  • Hooligan Labs for inflatable airships (handy for Eve or Laythe exploration -- or Kerbin exploration, for that matter).
    • Discreet Parts for collapsible airplanes and airships that can be carried inside or launched on top of rockets. (In 1.0.5, I used this instead of Hooligan Labs -- keeping the HL DLL only.)
  • Kerbal Foundries for cool tank treads and hover parts.
  • Lack Luster Labs for more cool spacecraft parts (especially for long-range cruisers), and Stock Extension for more gap-filling. (I've kept the Mk3 ramp, the inline goo cannister, and the size 0 fairing and heat shield.)
  • Netherdyne Mass Drivers (there's a WIP 1.0.4 revival) for kicking resources (or anything else, for that matter) from moon mines to orbital or planetary manufacturing plants.
  • K. Yeon's OPT Space Plane Parts for...guess what.
  • QuizTech Aero Pack for some later-game airplane parts. (I've kept the IntakeAir RCS ports.)
    • Also Dr. Jet's Chop Shop for more lander and rover parts.
  • Solar Science for even MOAR SCIENCE!
  • TAC-LS for a life support system grounded in reality (and a lot less forgiving).
  • Zero-Point Inline Fairings by NecroBones. If you're going to use this with stock aero, you'll need AnimatedDecouplers.

Alternate Suggestions

Addons which I haven't used (or don't use on my main install), but probably would fit nicely in this plan:

Changelog

• 2015 Feb 06 -- Initial release.
  • 2015 Sep 08 -- Version 1.1.
    • Updated chart to include size 1.5 vehicles.
    • Updated mod suggestions for 1.0.4.
  • 2016 Mar 21 -- Updated mod suggestions for 1.0.5.
  • 2016 Apr 28 -- Updated mod suggestions for 1.1.

Roadmap

I may refine or rearrange the plan over time, especially as I achieve more of the goals and get a better idea of what steps are prerequisites for what, but it probably won't change drastically. I might make a "KISP Chronicles" mission report series depicting my efforts as well.

Now that KSP 1.1 has the KSPedia system, I might be able to make a KISP chart that can be viewed in-game...

There are also a few very minor gaps in the space plan that aren't covered by the above list of mods. I'm working on making those myself...stay tuned!

Challenge

Note that I call this the KAA Integrated Space Plan for a reason -- it's very dependent on the technology tree and addons that I use, and my priorities. This is my plan. What's yours?

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra
Updated mod recommendations for 1.1.

Yeah, that was I was planning to do. I'm planning to ship Korborundum back to Kerbin to recover it for money, because the engines generally require so little (I had a craft that had 12000 deltaV on twelve units of Korborundum, using the small engines).

• 7 months later...

The game has changed a lot over the last year. Surprisingly, the plan itself has held steady (though Home Grown Rockets's 1.875 m parts have grown on me so much that I've added a "Gen 1.5" node just for them), but the list of recommended mods has had some additions and, unfortunately, some removals (mostly because of memory limits -- the 32-bit struggle is real).

Also, I've been plugging along on my plan -- still no interplanetary missions yet (though I do have several Duna/Ike exploration contracts accepted), but here's the Kerbin Orbital Laboratory as it stands right now:

d2wL7Gk.png

• 4 weeks later...
I'd add the OPM mod. Also for colonization, what about Planetary base systems?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/127413-WIP-1-0-4-Kerbal-Planetary-Base-Systems-v0-2-2-Update-25-8-2015

Sorry to let this reply sit unattended for so long!

I'm leaving out Outer Planets and other planet packs because the plan doesn't touch them at all (for that matter, neither does the original Integrated Space Plan -- Saturn and friends are scientifically interesting, but strategically, they're not known to offer anything we can't get at the Jupiter system).

And thanks for the heads-up on Planetary Base Systems. I look forward to being able to double-stack my colony modules!

On a sadder note, I've had to bump Orbital Material Science for memory reasons, so my Kerbin Orbital Laboratory is no more. (It will be replaced by a similar station which lacks the exposure platform.)

• 6 months later...
On 2/6/2015 at 11:30 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

In 1989, Ronald Jones of Rockwell International (manufacturer of the Space Shuttle orbiter, among other things) made a giant flowchart called the Integrated Space Plan. The original has been scanned in high-definition here on Makezine, converted into a vector file by a reader of that site, updated in 2015 into a slick website, and here's some BBC commentary and a Wired article on it. It basically laid out, on one chart, the visions of all of the world's aerospace agencies and companies, on a path from the Space Shuttle in the 1980's to the beginning of "Human expansion into the cosmos" in 2100. It is extremely optimistic, proposing that we would have multiple permanent bases in LEO and on the Moon by now (2015), lunar tourism by the end of this decade, and terraforming Venus and Mars starting in the mid-21st century (e.g. "Create new moons for Mars if required", ca. 2040), among other ambitious projects (though, given the success of the LADEE probe's laser communication demonstrator, we may get the "Advanced laser comm network" a couple of decades earlier than Jones thought we would). It's the kind of optimism and ambition that drives my interest in aerospace engineering, and I think that it's what drives a lot of what we do in Kerbal Space Program, so I wanted to make an Integrated Space Plan illustrating my ultimate plans for spreading Kerbalkind throughout their solar system (and beyond).

I haven't come close to achieving every goal yet (I've only launched a couple of probes into interplanetary space), but I'm working on it. Presenting the KAA Integrated Space Plan!

It comes in two forms. The first, vertically oriented, is what I call the "planets-in-sequence" approach, in which each planet's infrastructure is built up one after the other. The other, "planets-in-parallel", involves each planet's infrastructure being built up as soon as it is technologically feasible (launch windows and funding permitting, of course). Those of us who like to juggle a bunch of missions at once might find the parallel approach more familiar, though the sequential chart is more compact (and looks more like the original Integrated Space Plan to my eyes).

(I've put them both in spoiler blocks, since they're huge images.)

Hide contents

V10uVKn.png

Reveal hidden contents

CvuD6gs.png

Essential Addons

Some of the nodes are only meaningful (or become more meaningful) if certain addons are installed:

Recommended Addons

Other addons that I use which fit nicely in this plan:

Former Recommendations

Addons which I don't use anymore (mostly because of memory limits -- the game may load with them installed, but won't play for very long), but do fit in this plan:

Alternate Suggestions

Addons which I haven't used (or don't use on my main install), but probably would fit nicely in this plan:

Changelog

• 2015 Feb 06 -- Initial release.
  • 2015 Sep 08 -- Version 1.1.
    • Updated chart to include size 1.5 vehicles.
    • Updated mod suggestions for 1.0.4.
  • 2016 Mar 21 -- Updated mod suggestions for 1.0.5.

Roadmap

I may refine or rearrange the plan over time, especially as I achieve more of the goals and get a better idea of what steps are prerequisites for what, but it probably won't change drastically. I might make a "KISP Chronicles" mission report series depicting my efforts as well.

In the long run, I'm kind of interested in making an addon out of it. It could be a roadmap that can be seen in-game, highlighting which steps have been achieved and suggesting technologies to help achieve the next steps. I've seen that some people like to play science mode, but struggle to seek inspiration for further missions once they've mastered flight, docking, inter-body transfer, and landing in the Kerbin-Mun-Minmus system; a chart like this, I think, would give them a good vision of what's possible, as well as a concrete path to achieving it.

There are also a few very minor gaps in the space plan that aren't covered by the above list of mods. I'm working on making those myself...stay tuned!

Challenge

Note that I call this the KAA Integrated Space Plan for a reason -- it's very dependent on the technology tree and addons that I use, and my priorities. This is my plan. What's yours?

This is really cool. I would hope to see it as an add on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I hate necro'ing a thread, but this is fantastic.  I have the original ISP, the redrawn one and the new one, will be putting them up on my office wall when construction is completed.  I'll probably get one of these made into a poster and put it up as well.

@Kerbas_ad_astra Would you be interested in collaborating on a set of missions to work through all of this?  I'm thinking that first we can define the missions, then work on a contract pack to go through all of them.

Using CKAN, it would be quite simple to create a ckan file to install all required/recommended mods

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.