• Opt-in Prerelease for 1.1!

Ted

KSP_logo_full.png.99743e7d63a15357cde91d

Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you read, 1.1 is to enter Experimentals this week! It's a significant update to KSP in terms of just how much has changed under the hood. We've done a complete overhaul of the user interface from a conglomerate of interface systems to Unity 5's native system. Aside from that, an entirely new system for the wheels had to be adopted due to the major changes Unity made to the native wheels system, and the list goes on!

Quality Assurance is the most bare bone part of the entire testing process and is performed by around five to ten QA testers pretty much constantly. The focussed testing and efficiency mean that instead of going through the motions of the game as a normal player would, QA tends to identify areas of the new content that would usually be prone to issue and hunt for bugs there. This cuts down the time taken to find issues by a significant margin and means that the content is tested more evenly – playtesting can sometimes skip completely past some aspects of a feature. Furthermore, this method allows the testers to work closely with the developers and compare exactly what they intended to occur for specific cases, to what actually occurs – this is where QA becomes more about feedback.

QA is a lot more than just finding bugs. It’s about having the knowledge of the game (especially how it works under-the-hood), the comprehension of the ideas behind the features in the game, the understanding of what a developer wants the feature to turn out like and how you can assist them in making it happen. Furthermore, it’s about condensing all of that into concise and objectively written issue reports.

The QA process on 1.1 has been going for a long time, but it has been incredibly fruitful: crushing 516 issues in 107 builds! There is still more to do however, in Experimentals we hope to only increase the stability of the game, add polish to areas and carry out some bug fixing as always!

The Experimental Team comprises about 100 testers. All of these testers are volunteers who contribute their spare time to playtest the game. They are normal players, sourced from the various communities via a simple application process. Often and understandably they don’t have as much spare time to devote to testing as the QA Testers and thus there are significantly more Experimental Testers ‘signed up’ than we need at any one time. This works in everyone’s favour as it keeps the activity level throughout an Experimental Phase and doesn’t put pressure on the testers while they also deal with their personal and professional lives.

After we have an update go through QA, as detailed above, it is hopefully free from major issues and each feature has had any needed major improvements and refinements carried out; the update is in a feature-complete state. However, many components of a feature may still be unpolished, such as part balancing, or the performance of newer UI on different platforms. This is where Experimental Testing comes in and assists the developers in cleaning up the remaining feedback issues.

An Experimental Testing phase typically lasts around a couple of weeks, though it is highly dependent on the number of issues that arise and how much further development is required to reach a release state. At the end of the Experimental phase, there are still a fair amount of issues on the tracker that are still open, but it’s important to note that these issues are typically minor ones, ones that aren’t in the scope of the update or simply issues that would take too much time and resources to resolve.

This time around though, things will get even more interesting after Experimental testing! Given that update 1.1 will be unlike any update we’ve seen to date in terms of widespread changes to pretty much any significant and underlying system in the game we're planning to provide an optional pre-release branch of update 1.1. This opt-in branch will run for just under two full weeks before the targeted release date of the final update.

The nature and extent of the changes in the update mean that many plugins and add-ons will require refactoring, updating and at the very least a recompile. Of course modders cannot do this overnight and on the flick of a switch, especially with an update of this scope. Typically a select group of particularly KSP-savvy modders would be given access to the new update to help us find bugs, but the extent of the changes this time around is such that we feel we should open it up to everyone.

The pre-release branch will be opt-in via Steam only, and won't be available via the KSP Store. We really wanted to make the pre-release branch available on all distribution channels but given the frequency of builds, the size of those builds, and the necessity for everyone to be on the latest version for testing it proved to be impossible to facilitate this on the KSP store.

To facilitate discussions of the pre-release branch we’ll be opening up a temporary forum for feedback. Additionally, a separate section will be made available on the bug tracker to report bugs on.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

7 hours ago, John FX said:

Enjoying the rage over a lost penny, very apt.

I don`t know how you feel about mods but for your ion thrusters have you considered persistentthrust?

It allows thrust to continue during rails warp. Specifically designed to remove the headache of ION thrusters...

I have probably 45 mods installed, but I haven't heard of that one until now.  One thing I love about this game and the mods, is that if something about the game is annoying or lacking, someone has probably created a mod to deal with it.  Thanks!

It does underscore the nature and benefits of getting a pre-release out there for those who write mods, though.  Some players love stock, which is great, I find the mods really enrich the experience.

As for the Steam thing, yeah, it's a bit of a bummer for some, but as far as any injustice or breach of trust, there's far more productive and important things in this world to spend time addressing.  Put things in perspective: it's a penny, or a grape, or a beer.  Squad's reasons for the decision seem both technically and financially sound to me.  Thanks for the game, I think I spent $30 on it originally, gotten way more out of it than that.

Cheers,
    -BS

What happened to these guys?

Regardless of whether ‘updates’ implies ‘expansions’ or not, it’s quite obvious now that we need to rephrase that statement so everyone knows exactly what they’re getting when they purchase the game.

However, it became clear to us that many might have already taken that statement to mean something else than we did when they bought the game, and so had a different notion of what it was they were getting with their initial purchase.

So given that this was a point of confusion, and that we believe that no matter what, a promise is a promise, we are including Expansions in what you can expect to get for free if you have already bought the game. Also, for those considering purchasing the game, we will maintain this promise for all purchases made until the end of this month (April, 2013).

OR this promise?

Q. Will Steam get updates before everyone else?
    A. No, all updates will be sent to all builds for all Operating Systems and distribution methods at the same time.

Edited by mcirish3

This may sound like a very noobish question but when does the 1.1 version of KSP come out? I know how to opt into betas and what not but when exactly can I enter?

4 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

This may sound like a very noobish question but when does the 1.1 version of KSP come out? I know how to opt into betas and what not but when exactly can I enter?

They will announce this, ETA about two weeks, official release estimated to be about 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, mcirish3 said:

They will announce this, ETA about two weeks, official release estimated to be about 4 weeks.

Ahh ok, misread the article up there, thought it only gave us an idea when the beta would open(two weeks before the full update) not the exact release date.

22 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

What happened to these guys?

OR this promise?

A pre-release for finding bugs isn't an expansion. It doesn't have to be purchased separately from KSP, and it isn't outside the original scope of the game. It isn't really an official update either, since it isn't being released to everyone, you have to opt in.  So, really, there isn't any promise you've shown which says Squad is obligated to provide this to everyone.

1 hour ago, KerbalSaver said:

A pre-release for finding bugs isn't an expansion. It doesn't have to be purchased separately from KSP, and it isn't outside the original scope of the game. It isn't really an official update either, since it isn't being released to everyone, you have to opt in.  So, really, there isn't any promise you've shown which says Squad is obligated to provide this to everyone.

Edited by mcirish3

8 hours ago, comeonnow said:

Wanting to be allowed into the opt-in beta just to play the game early is a complete perversion of the developers' intentions.  It's clear that's what people who are complaining want - they want to play the game 2 weeks early.  They don't want to hunt down and report bugs. 

Wait, so only people on Steam can want to report bugs? What kind of logic is that? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't do Steam because I'm not for the drm schemes and general bloatware/spamware approach they have. But I don't have any problem with people who like it.

I'll stand by my statement that a subversion server or similar would provide an easy way to get access to at least the kerbal site purchasers easily. With the added bonus that installing a svn client is so much easier and faster than working with Steam.

Edited by CloudlessEchoes

6 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

We both know this very very well.  NOT the point at all.  It is the fact that Squad has gone back on their word that has, me at least, upset.  Again you point to the fact that Steam users are infact being treated better, and KSP store users would have been better off showing their support through other merchandise, instead of buying the game through the KSp store.

A. How were they to know that at the time?
    B. That would mean spending extra money over and above the cost of the game, that they did not necessarily have.

DId you just say go purchase on steam if you want to be treated better?  So you admit that Squad "did a number" on users who purchased the game via the KSP store and other sources.  These users purchased under the assumption that they would be treated the same as everyone else becuase squad very clearly said they would would be treated the same as everyone else.  But now it seems their word is garbage.

Your answer to this is go spend another $40 on the game on steam!?

Why would you buy a second product from someone who just betrayed your trust?

I'm sorry that you feel betrayed, but after it came out on steam there was a way to transfer over. And again, Squad is not trying to be unfair, simply they need to do a bit more testing and their launcher doesn't have the infrastructure to do micro updates multiple times a day. Again, those that use steam will not have access to the official release early, they will have access to a more or less bugged version that needs all the rest of the bugs squashed. that's where player crash reports and bug reports come into play.
    On a side note, I would much rather have bought KSP on the site to help the devs, but I bought it on steam cause I was unaware at the time.

TL;DR: Squad isn't meaning to be unfair or to betray the trust of their supporters, things just happened to be taken that way.

All this bickering has me generally liquided off. "Fine. I'm a steam user. I will not opt in for the open beta so I hope the release is delayed another week and a half because of a bug I may not have reported due to not being an open tester. Secondly I will stop playing my legitimately bought version of KSP and will instead download and distribute a pirated copy of the game." Should I take this stance?:huh:

The above is rather stupid, yet all this stupid bickering about who gets to have the opportunity to beta test the 1.1 experimental builds is driving me to my wits end. Sadly I'm not even hyped for the update but rather liquided off at the community. If this is the way the KSP community is, I DON'T want to be apart of it. Last and Final. Goodbye and Good night.

Pessimism: 85% :mad:

(Apparently any community can quickly become acidic and it's not just LoL and DoTA, both of which have terrible communities now)

Edited by Gnoyze

I get why people are annoyed, but it is a bit silly. The logistics of deploying the game in multiple places and ensuring updates would be a nightmare. Steam does it well and streamlines it so I can understand the choice squad made.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks extra to only get the polished version, though I hope there are enough Linux users to flush out all the Linux specific bugs.

1 hour ago, CattyNebulart said:

I get why people are annoyed, but it is a bit silly. The logistics of deploying the game in multiple places and ensuring updates would be a nightmare. Steam does it well and streamlines it so I can understand the choice squad made.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks extra to only get the polished version, though I hope there are enough Linux users to flush out all the Linux specific bugs.

The Linux thing is something I was wondering about, too.  I have Steam, under Linux, and as a developer myself, understand reporting bugs and things like logs and reproducibility.  (someone remind me where that OTHER log file that goes in some completely unintuitive directory resides....or has that changed with Unity 5?)

So, if I can, I'd like to get in and help.  What proportion of players use Linux?

Cheers,
    -BS

16 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

...I am not using my moderator privileges to silence disagreement with me or otherwise intimidate other users...

...This is not about me personally...

No, what you are doing is using your moderator privileges so you cannot be silenced.  That's the other side to your coin.

As far as it not being about your feelings personally, fine, you've made your point.  So have others, but they have the self restraint to not repeat it over and over and over and over across 25 pages.

As for ignoring you the old fashioned way, sure.  My pleasure.  You personally may take credit for my leaving of the forums.  

goodbye

My opinion on this has been clearly stated so I wont even go back into just how poor of a company I feel squad is over this.

What I will suggest is to let your opinions be known elsewhere. These forums are a place for Squad to tailor these opinions how they want them. They couldn't care less about the opinions of half of the users here as plainly evidenced by their unscrupulous actions. I plan to spread the word about this situation anywhere possible to any and all gaming rags, forums, streams, etc that I can in the next week or so in addition to the personal actions I have already taken towards my own compensation.

I also plan to lobby against the PSN version when it is listed for release on the blog throughout the playstation network and throughout my own large network of friends/gamers on the PSN. I suggest anyone who truly feels the same about this issue to do this as well. Will this bankrupt squad? Of course not, but it will cost them a few sales and maybe shed some light on their true nature.

For anyone holding onto squad's pants leg like a pet and wanting to rescue the poor squad damsel in distress again, please save the replys. This is simply a suggestion to those who are unhappy about not getting equal treatment for equal payment.

Edited by Elway358
    typo

1 hour ago, Elway358 said:

These forums are a place for Squad to tailor these opinions how they want them.

Of course they are. This is plainly evident from the last 27 pages. That's obviously all I and others do here: Manufacturing consent purely for philanthropic reasons. All out of the goodness of my heart. For free, if you like.

Anybody else is quite free to scroll through all of the above and see how we are clearly removing any post even slightly critical of Squad's decisions. Now if you excuse me, I have a pair of jackboots to polish. They don't shine themselves, you know.

1 hour ago, Elway358 said:

My opinion on this has been clearly stated so I wont even go back into just how poor of a company I feel squad is over this.

What I will suggest is to let your opinions be known elsewhere. These forums are a place for Squad to tailor these opinions how they want them. They couldn't care less about the opinions of half of the users here as plainly evidenced by their unscrupulous actions. I plan to spread the word about this situation anywhere possible to any and all gaming rags, forums, streams, etc that I can in the next week or so in addition to the personal actions I have already taken towards my own compensation.

I also plan to lobby against the PSN version when it is listed for release on the blog throughout the playstation network and throughout my own large network of friends/gamers on the PSN. I suggest anyone who truly feels the same about this issue to do this as well. Will this bankrupt squad? Of course not, but it will cost them a few sales and maybe shed some light on their true nature.

For anyone holding onto squad's pants leg like a pet and wanting to rescue the poor squad damsel in distress again, please save the replys. This is simply a suggestion to those who are unhappy about not getting equal treatment for equal payment.

Dude, I am very displeased with squad as well (if you read up stream that is very obvious), but I am not sure you need to go quit this vitriolic.  

Edit: Though I fully understand where you are coming from, and Squad does have a bad habit of going silent when something goes wrong, and this often fuels the anger of those upset by their actions.  Some time just an official, "Hay we are working on a response but it is not done yet" is better than saying nothing.

Edited by mcirish3

4 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

Of course they are. This is plainly evident from the last 27 pages. That's obviously all I and others do here: Manufacturing consent purely for philanthropic reasons. All out of the goodness of my heart. For free, if you like.

Anybody else is quite free to scroll through all of the above and see how we are clearly removing any post even slightly critical of Squad's decisions. Now if you excuse me, I have a pair of jackboots to polish. They don't shine themselves, you know.

Just for a "for the record", my post wasn't directed towards moderators per say as I personally don't consider them part of squad as a company. In fact, I'm actually surprised(and delighted) to see certain moderator's speaking their true feelings even though it may not coincide with what squad's vision of "fairness" may be.

As I said before, my primary purpose is to remind those who wish to say more than "squad stinks", that there are other avenues and ways to make their opinions known.

I'm getting sick of all the whining . Squad is for once allowing a part of the community to participate in the development, and what do we get? A lot of complains of people who feel they are left out. They should rejoice that they are getting a better product, for FREE.So to all the whiners I would like to say, Grow up!  And if you haven't bough KSP through Steam, you should consider buying it again, just as a token of appreciation to the creators of KSP for all their hard work! It's time to give something back.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 3/2/2016 at 6:19 PM, Elthy said:

Damn, only over steam. I can see the news allready: Updates just over steam, future versions just over steam, mods only over steam...

If you cant treat everyone the same just dont do it at all, your biggest fans obviosly bought in your store...

Calm down, its just because steam is much more easy to update than having to tell each person who downloaded it from the store to update it individually each time a new patch comes out for the pre release. So calm down and put your pants back on, you need not worry.

2 hours ago, Elway358 said:

how poor of a company I feel squad is over this.

It's worth keeping things in perspective here. I severely disagree with this particular decision, and I think it is absolutely a breach of our trust as paying customers. On the other hand, it's just a single decision, made for openly-stated, technical reasons, not some nefarious scheme to make a fortune by ripping off customers. On the whole Squad has been extremely supportive of its community, much more so than any other developer I've ever dealt with, and I don't think it's quite fair to condemn them as a "poor company" or any such thing because of a single incident.

I don't get it, why people complaining? It is explained that Steam will be used as an only capable distribution system. If you don't have it, just wait for the release. All this is done to deliver the product in a state as good as possible.

I have Steam but I don't know if I'll participate because there's no good playing over and over a buggy pre-release, spoiling all the gameplay every time and not being able to play a normal, free of issues, game. May be I'll use it to rebuild my mods only. But if anyone just wants to play the new version as soon as possible, I strongly recommend to wait for the full release.

Edited by Ser

16 hours ago, CloudlessEchoes said:

Wait, so only people on Steam can want to report bugs? What kind of logic is that? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't do Steam because I'm not for the drm schemes and general bloatware/spamware approach they have. But I don't have any problem with people who like it.

I'll stand by my statement that a subversion server or similar would provide an easy way to get access to at least the kerbal site purchasers easily. With the added bonus that installing a svn client is so much easier and faster than working with Steam.

Clearly it's not logical.  It's also not what I said or even implied.  I recommend not putting words in other people's mouths as it simply derails the conversation.  In my previous response I sort of addressed your concern, read that.

The people who are lashing out about this decision need to take a step back and look at what they are actually achieving:  Delaying the release.  Increasing the potential bug count.  Stirring up acrimony in the community.  Creating a lose-lose situation for the developers.  Wasting the developers' time.

You seriously want them to waste a bunch of time implementing a subversion server, instead of working on KSP?  Come on now.

All this bickering, achieving nothing but negative things.  In the name of what?  Don't say something like "consumer protection".  You are not entitled to be part of Squad's opt-in bug test.  Nothing in your KSP purchase gave you that right, no matter how much you twist their words.

Providing the open beta to store users is like resurrecting the Apollo program.

1. It's damn near impossible

2. Lots of work for very little benifit

3. It would SoonTM be followed by a better, more solid mission/update

4. The biggest reason behind it is to silence a small minority

5. Everyone would like to see it done (especially me)

6. It would use up NASA/Squad's resources that could go to more important things

The list goes on.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

This is now closed for further comments