[1.0.x] Civilian Population 1.4

michaelhester07

Food/Oxygen/water has been added. The old Civilian resources are gone.

I've successfully "Regolithified" this mod. I'm no longer using my own code for resource management and the civilian population regulator is working wonderfully inheriting from the BaseConverter class in Regolith. I'm going to do some play testing before I drop the changes though. I don't suspect it will do anything to ships or bases where you've used my mod already.

I've also regolithified all the converters from the stanford torus mod and those will be included here, unlocked when you unlock the 60 kerbal apartment. These parts will accelerate your base building as by the time you unlock them your kerbals have advanced technology to build bases that way.

Before I release 1.1 Im going to add some things

- My generators from the stanford torus mod are coming over. These are the cnc mill, the smelter, and the karbonite smelter. They all get unlocked at the same time as the 60 person apartment building. The reason these come over is to allow the construction of a type 1 civilization's base or space station with technology they could reasonably possess (robotic manufacturing).

- Civilians will now generate "Rent" at a rate of 100 funds per civilian on a ship per kerbin day so long as their needs are met.

Plans for 1.2

- Future expansion to this mod will add "morale" and a government building, which turns the rent into adjustable taxes. You can increase the taxes on your base to pay higher at the expense of morale, or reduce taxes to get more morale.

- Morale will change the rate that resources are produced/consumed on your base as well as effecting how much money you actually get out of taxes. Details of this are still to be brainstormed.

1.1 released! check the front page for the update.

Edited by michaelhester07

Is it possible to return to the Small Apartment Module after exiting the hatch on EVA. I have tried everything including running Pegasus mobility enhancers aka ladder rungs to the hatch...around the hatch or even across the hatch but never get the option to Board

Most of the textures are final. I released it under Creative Commons so you can take the mod and re texture parts. I thought I had tested the ladder on the small module. Might be worth a look. Till I get to it go in through another module and crew-transfer down.

I like it and i love to incorporate it into setting up a permanent base/city on Minmus. I do have some questions about it though.

I'm assuming everything needs to be connected to each other in order to work (f.e. garden connected to appartments). Is that true or can the parts be spread out and is proximity enough to sustain the occupants?

If they do need to be connected can that be done with KAS?

Since i'm already using a boatload of other mods i'm rather hesitant with adding yet another mod.

I like it and i love to incorporate it into setting up a permanent base/city on Minmus. I do have some questions about it though.

I'm assuming everything needs to be connected to each other in order to work (f.e. garden connected to appartments). Is that true or can the parts be spread out and is proximity enough to sustain the occupants?

If they do need to be connected can that be done with KAS?

Since i'm already using a boatload of other mods i'm rather hesitant with adding yet another mod.

KAS is certainly an option for connecting everything. It's actually part of the reason for the huge landing gear, so that any shift in angle doesn't destroy your base. The cities shown in the screenshots at the bottom of the first post are connected with the KAS pipe from MKS.

I have an idea for this... might seem a little out there:

I noticed that these modules are HUGE. However they should be - it's a permanent base. So I thought how do we get all that on the surface of a moon/planet and connect it all up nicely, without having to strap rockets/wheels to it to get it into place? A permanent structure shouldn't move, buildings here aren't wheeled/skycraned onto their final site. You build it there.

Extraplanetary Launchpads has the ability to generate ships in-situ, on a launch pad, and I'm sure thats the best way of getting these massive structures at least most of the way to their destination, build it nearby. But you still need to wheel/fly it over, off the launchpad.

This is sort of EL's camp but it only applies to this mod (and MKS a bit but those modules are smaller) - what if EL could generate the ship in-situ, rather than needing you to wheel it into place? If you could pinpoint where you want the building to be generated, and then tell the construction dock to "build it over there", that would match up a little better with reality.

What we have right now is fine in KSP, even with FAR I can get ridiculously shaped rockets into orbit. I could if I tried get most of my designs into a proper shape with a fairing, using folding arms/panels etc, but with something like the biosphere I don't think a fairing will help! So, in-situ construction is my way forward, and I think that could benefit from the above or something similar.

What do you think?

Really? That's what it's for then, you pick a target with a stake and the pads can build whereever you placed the stake?

If so, that just gave me plenty of ideas... and render's my previous post completely moot!

That's what the stakes are for. You place the origin stake, the x+ and the z+ stakes and you can build a rover or base part right on the surface.

If you're building a ship from the spaceplane hangar then x+ is forward and z+ is to the right (as you built it in the SPH). You can still get ground clipping issues if the ground slope changes over the size of your build.

About the survey stakes...

I found that EPL seems to measure the distance to a stake based on the distance from the center of mass of a ship rather than the location of the survey pod (in MKS's case the command center). This prevented me from designing Ares City 1.0 in my career mode in that I couldn't build modules out even though I had a command center survey pod less than 10 meters from the stakes. The detection range is 20 meters from the looks of it. My biodomes have a 30 meter diameter so you'd have to pack the city close around a single biodome for EPL survey stakes to work.

I made the extraplanetary garage part in my stanford torus mod before I knew about survey stakes and it pretty much saved my base building. It's basically a launch pad that is specifically designed to show you which way is "up" when you build a ship from the Space Plane Hangar. Up on it is the post with the electrical hazard marker. I don't want to overlap parts from my mods any more than I did with the resource converters so i'm not bringing it over to Civilian Population.

I'll go make a request over at EPL to make survey stake detection distance based on the location of the part with the survey station on it as I'd rather prefer that method to building bases. It's cleaner and easier to use.

Very cool, though 20m seems a little limited in range (for these big bases), would be better if it were 20m from any existing part on that ship.. Is the range freely moddable or built in? Can't see an option in the part.cfg...

Edited by pasty2k2

The range is built in and as far as I can tell not configurable. I asked on the Extraplanetary Launchpad thread as it's not my mod if he could make the range be from any (the selected most likely) survey station.

As far as the textures: I'm practicing some new texturing techniques and learning how to make scifi like panel textures on my own. I'll re-texture the parts.

I used the gray/dark gray color scheme as it's fairly prevalent among the KSP stock parts and mostly any Human made spaceship i've seen.

Think about it... how much color there is in space ships.

If a part is a prototype there may be some more coloring on it, like the warning lines on the SAS module. The fuel tanks are fairly bland though. Look at the rocomax ones. Only the big one is colored. The Kerbodyne ones...

Flag,

Black/White outside

Orange for the tank center.

I'll see what textures I come up with but there aren't many colors in space that I see other than grey, dark grey, and exhaust flame.

What's the most colorful realistic space ship you've seen?

Well maybe this one is pretty colorful :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-0-90-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-1-0-2014-12-16

Real quick question, that pic showing all you need to survive include a mining laser for water. What if it's a orbital station will the water eventually run out or can you recycle all of it?

I plan to try out this mod I would like to try a really large space station, would you recommend 64bit ksp or can 32bit handle big stations/cities?

Lastly, say I want max population of 100 will remain at that if I don't give them room to expand?

Real quick question, that pic showing all you need to survive include a mining laser for water. What if it's a orbital station will the water eventually run out or can you recycle all of it?

I plan to try out this mod I would like to try a really large space station, would you recommend 64bit ksp or can 32bit handle big stations/cities?

Lastly, say I want max population of 100 will remain at that if I don't give them room to expand?

I don't think regolith supports 64 bit ksp.

So long as your recyclers can out pace the waste water production on your station you'll have everything you need. Recyclers are built into the farms and each farm size matches capacity to the similar civilian module size, with the large biosphere farm slightly less than the apartment. If you use the apartment then plan on a bit extra farming equipment to support the population.

Last part: you'll need enough farm equipment on the station to support the larger population size. If you want to support 100 civilians then you'll need at least 2 biosphere gardens. Add in an extra small garden for some overlap too if you have a civilian contractor port.