Which way do you do things?

Wabbit

C, A, and C

I build my ships in such a way that my pitchover is head down with S.

Kill horizontal and then worry about the vertical.

Edit: Actually, I could say I work both horizontal and vertical speed together. I just happen to kill horizontal velocity well before I need to worry about vertical velocity.

Remap the numberpad to translation and never touch docking mode.

A, sort of B, B.

For clarification:

1) I typically let my kOS script handle launches, and it actually rotates and then pitches, so that would actually be B, but I manually do A.

2) I get pretty low before landing, kill off horizontal, then the last <500 meters is entirely vertical

3) I have never once used docking mode, but I also don't typically dock medium or smaller ships using RCS at all.

C) I rotate the rocket in the VAB so I can pitch east. If launching inclined I rotate so I can pitch down.

C) I come in shallow and suicide burn. Or at least I try to. That's the most efficient way.

B)

A, A/B (I just make sas point to retrograde and fire), and A/B (I use both... but I do not use the ijkl stuff to dock [i can only dock as in landing close enough to a base that the magnetic forces kick in], just minmus exploration).

-A definitely, if I do roll over I usually spend time looking at the nav ball orienting myself with what key will move my rocket in what direction instead of watching the actually Launch.

-B in a A type of way: I'm usually flying across the surface when I go full burn to kill my horizontal while pitching up when it looks like my trajectory is going to turn my spaceship into a skipping stone. If there is Atmosphere I just use parachutes and deploy them when I get close to the ground :wink:

-And B of-course why would you use docking mode when you can orient and position your craft at the same time. IJKLHN is the same as docking mode just shifted over 6 keys (Seriously don't know why there even is a docking mode)

a). People who gravity turn with A/D

B). People who roll over and use W/S

a). People who kill horizontal speed, then vertical

B). People who come in steep and suicide burn

a). People who use docking mode

B). People who use I, J, K, L, H, N

A, B, B

On the second one though, I prefer to come in shallow and suicide burn instead of steep.

It all depends on the vehicle though, if it has low TWR suicide burns are riskier.

a). People who gravity turn with A/D

B). People who roll over and use W/S

I rotate my rocket in the VAB so that it sets up on the launch pad with the appropriate heading, then use the "W/S" keys to perform the pitch over maneuver.

I've never had a rocket that could execute a gravity turn. :)

a). People who kill horizontal speed, then vertical

B). People who come in steep and suicide burn

Neither. I approximate a gravity turn if I have a fairly large landing area to work with. If I'm trying to hit a specific point, I will "stand on the brakes" until I'm dropping more or less straight down on my target, and then feather the engine on the way down to keep the rate of descent manageable. I like to fly IVA, which means I can't see my altitude until I'm within 3,000 meters of the surface. No suicide burns here. :)

a). People who use docking mode

B). People who use I, J, K, L, H, N

"B". I have the RCS translate keys set to the numeric pad. . .WASD to keep the direction marker on the target, Numpad to keep the prograde marker on the target. I'm not actually sure what the docking mode thing does.

For me:

a) A/D

a and B) I usually make a suicide burn at 500-1500m over the surface and later kill the horizontal speed and later I manage the last time of descent.

B) Why change if you can have all the movements at the same time?

Game pad so don't fly with keyboard.

Whether I roll or turn right depends on the design of the rocket. I've found it is actually easier if you rotate the rocket in the VAB or right upon liftoff to have less inclination off of zero if you're pitching up-down like an aircraft rather than left-right.

I nearly always do a near suicide burn to land, and I come in really shallow, so my suicide burn is always a little off of full retrograde so I can land where I want.

No "mode" for controls. My docking controls are programmed into my gamepad (D-pad for up, down, left, right, stick click for forward and back).

For the first two, it is wholly dependent on the craft I am flying.

For some craft, it is easier to actually roll and gravity turn with W/S, like when I am ejecting spent boosters at the same time as I roll to throw them off, or to balance the craft after the ejection for aerodynamic stabilization. But for some other, A/D works fine.

As for landing, I usually use suicide burn for craft with very high TWR, while for crafts with less thrusts like ion probes, the standard safe landing procedures are best.

For the final one though, I prefer to use the docking mode to see the direction of my movement thanks to the docking UI. Also using two modes at the same time usually means I will mess something up big time.

A, A, B

I use chase cam when docking, then two-hand the rotation and translation controls. I place the camera precisely behind my craft so my translation keys map nicely and just line stuff up by eye. Even getting rotation correct is pretty easy, I just have to make sure the straight-line parts of my target don't have any jagged pixelly lines :P

A - Using A + D during launch, then roll later with Q + E when needed if in orbit already (I only use W + S in polar missions and docking).

A - Kill horizontal, then go vertical if altitude low enough (around 5km altitude on Mun for reference).

B - WASDQE + IJKLHN. Like what have been said before, why switch to dock mode, when you can actually do both? I reserve docking mode for rovers.

You forgot C: Let's MechJeb worry about it.

C: "What choices? I always let MJ handle 100% of the work while I watch here."

A, a, b.

I also generally use chase cam usually just to make sure that ijklhn and wasd actually make sense in terms of what I see, both for landing and docking. With launching, I just use the navball, and don't bother looking at rocket except for aesthetic satisfaction.

1:

A mix between a & b:

For light rockets, I just do it with A, D, but for heavier rockets with harder control and management while ascending, I make my rocket setup optimized to do the gravity turn with W, S... I setup my asparagus stage to keep the the last 2 tanks on the southern and northern sides of the rocket, so aerodynamics will help me do the gravity turn better.

2:

I love always to do it safe, so I tend to go with a a lot

3:

I never tried the docking mode, and I feel more comfortable with b.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.