[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

After your recent update for Sonnah's atmosphere, a problem I stumbled upon while trying to send a probe to suicide into Serran for science, I went back to Serran and the atmosphere...I'm not sure what happened but it seems like theres no atmosphere but my ship still heated up and accelerated most of the way down. I'm sure you are still working on things but just thought I'd mention it

Not sure if this is your realm or Kopernicus', but I get very funny effects when flying near Sonnah... I can only zoom into my ship at 5x timewarp or higher - at 1x it sort of runs away from the camera along a diagonal path towards the top right of the screen :blush:

I still need to tweak the timewarp factors to the correct altitudes (at the moment they are on default for all bodies). Is the bug with the camera repeatable? what are the steps?

I'll do some testing, see if i can get it to happen.

After your recent update for Sonnah's atmosphere, a problem I stumbled upon while trying to send a probe to suicide into Serran for science, I went back to Serran and the atmosphere...I'm not sure what happened but it seems like theres no atmosphere but my ship still heated up and accelerated most of the way down. I'm sure you are still working on things but just thought I'd mention it

thanks for letting me know dude! yeah I'm still having some issues with Serran, it seems that there's a 'barrier' at around 15km when the atmosphere actually kicks in, before that it's like there's a sudo-atmosphere and it's kinda confusing. I'm still trying to figure it out but I'll get there eventually. :wink:

If you find anything else, please feel free to let me know so i can get it sorted!

I still need to tweak the timewarp factors to the correct altitudes (at the moment they are on default for all bodies). Is the bug with the camera repeatable? what are the steps?

I'll have another go tonight, but it wasn't anything fancy and I exited to KSC and back to vessel view with the problem still there. Generic probe heading in to skim the atmosphere, roughly in-plane with the planet's rings. Once it got within about that radius, the camera did funny things, first turning the vessel invisible, then sliding it away from me and only being zoomable when in timewarp. Not sure if it was proximity to the rings that triggered it.

Hits quite hard on the RAM, but it's not opengl. Plus I'm working on optimising NH, managed to knock off 200MB with .dds textures, but it still need more...

Impressive then. I'm firing up New Horizons and a few small mods (mostly things like KER, MJ, and Tweakscale) in OpenGL at about 2.2GB of memory at the menu, which is pretty impressive. This gives me good hope that a mix of planet packs might work - as long as I don't get too heavy on the parts mods.

The real question is whether there's room for Near Future, or Interstellar, as well, because those would really lend themselves to a game where there's more planets and much bigger distances between them (and more science points to farm)... something I shall have to try out later :)

Trust me Eddie, near future is on my must-have list, I can't play without it anymore! My main goal now that it's sort-of stable is compression, getting the mod down to minimal impact so it's not so restricting with the amount of mods you can use with it

Hey bud, just something I noticed. I've been playing around with this just about all day and it seems the planet Titanus is a little buggy.

When I approach, it's almost as if the atmosphere jumps in all of a sudden and the sudden dramatic increase in pressure tears my ship apart. (My poor Kerbals, well we just won't mention them to the others.) I get the sense it's suppose to have some extreme pressure I was looking foreword to the challenge.

I did manage to make it to the ground on 3 attempts in one piece and right around 8,000km above sea level I noticeably hit an "invisible wall" actually stopping my lateral movement altogether even though my NavBall showed I was still moving across the ground. Right after I made landfall I violently tipped over every time and exploded, the debris from the ship would go careening off into space at warp speeds.

This all only seems to be a problem on Titanus, the rest of the planets seem to other them minor glitches like terrain shifting be land-able at least. Hope this helps. I'm sure you don't have time to test everything, on every planet, every patch.

I'm running the game in 64-bit with about 5-6 rather large mods(MKS/OKS, Karbonite, KIS, etc.)The game uses quite a bit of memory around 6-7GB but I have not had any crashes all day. other then when I slam in to Astrid, damn thin atmosphere. I know you said your not testing x64 but thought I'd mention.

750+ parts 6 individual pieces, still getting a respectable 25 fps.

3505970A3BEA744EA9C7A623327D341B567E0B68

All in all the mod is pretty awesome, best I've come across for adding planets. I've put (not proud) 1,700+ hours into KSP and this is exactly what the game needed for more of a challenge,

Now I have to go figure out how I am gunna get Jeb home from all the way over their where you moved minmus. Awesome! Hats off

Edited by Leatherman
Picture

thanks for dropping by leatherman! love that this works great in x64! i know i don't really support it properly, but it's still good to know it works! wish i got that framerate with 32bit :D

Yeah I was in the same position as you, spent so many hours in the game that eventually i got into a set routine and it annoyed me, thats why i tried to change things. I needed that new challenge, especially for remotetech satellites (i look forward to a proper playthrough now it's updated). There's still a lot of features I'm still toying with before i bring it in though...

I'll have another peek at atmospheres, the 'invisible wall' you mentioned was the reason for the 1.4.1 update which i hoped fixed it, seems i might still need tweaking. Atmospheres have a lot of new settings since 1.0 so we are all still trying to find the right way to configure them properly. We'll get it perfected eventually though!

No problem, hope it helps speed things up.

I have an idea in my noodle, not sure if it would be possible but since you seem to have one of the most well rounded planet mods I'll throw it your way.

Would it be possible to add comets, asteroids, etc. That are only visible and therefor land-able during certain phases of the star system, i.e years like how halley's comet only comes by once every 75 years. I think it would add a great challenge to the game figuring out when to launch to rendezvous.

Not totally sure how you'd handle landed craft on them while they were elsewhere in the galaxy, maybe just remove the ships from Tracking station till the time is right? Probably not though.

I'll be hitting the stars again a bit today, so if I find anything else I'll let you know.

I've fixed the atmospheres now, they are calibrated PROPERLY this time, I've gone and tested and triplec checked everything and they work perfectly now. I can actually aerobrake correctly on high pressure planets! So the new update will have all of that completed! Plus I've been working on heavy compression, making huge RAM cuts...so far I've knocked off about 200mb of memory!

@leatherman

I dont think the asteroid idea is feasible at the moment, I't would be something I'd be very interested in though. I just don't know of any way to actually hide bodies until certain years, AFAIK all bodies show up no matter what....I'll start asking around and see if theres a way. I have had an idea of a minor bodies sub mod for NH, creating mapped custom asteroids and such around the system to add variety and extreme challenges...but until I'm happy with the state of NH I'm only really thinking about it.

the only mod so far that is able to modify planetary orbits ingame is hyper edit.

one way would be: look into hyperedit and how they alter planetary orbits (maybe it's stored inside the persistent.cfg?). and then "store" those objects inside the sun (apoapsis and periapsis below sun-surface) until you need them. let it make one transit, and then store it back inside the sun. nice side-effect: stock heat will destroy everything the player brought to this object.

another way I could think of: if it is possible to alter the color of the orbit. solid black for undetected objects, and colors for detected objects. and let them have a really large apoapsis.

hyperedit stores altered orbits and such in mod directory in the plugindata folder, along with other settings it saves. Probably not very practical to use that as the editor though...I'd have to look futher into it when i get around to developing the idea properly

That camera problem I reported yesterday? Might be the M700 scanner... nearly every ship I make with one goes mad. If it glitches during ascent, the spaceplane carrying it goes into a spiral :( Suggest scrubbing that one from the bug report list!

First of all, magnificent mod, I'm really enjoying it :D

I have a bug related somehow to this mod, (it disappears when I delete the mod and reapers after put it back).

I'm using opengl if that matters, 32 bits install, the bug appears with new horizons as only mod.

When I reach high speed with a survey scanner it dissapears and the rocket starts to shake.

It seems to be related to aerodynamics but it also happens with the survey scanner inside cargo bay or fairings.

Example pic of test rocket:

http://i.imgur.com/6Fjz4xk.jpg

Does this happen to somebody else?

when does it happen, in atmosphere? and at which planet? kerbin? I'll have a test when i have time, I'm wrapping up what im hoping will be my last update to stabilize things so I'll have a look when i have time.

Arround 600 m/s in kerbin atmosphere.

If somebody is able to put a survey scanner in orbit with this mod then the bug only happens to me, maybe some config or corrupted file on my ksp install.

I tested the save game itself on another ksp install, (without new horizons), and it works.

Edited by Urgante

I just launched 3 survey probes in orbit around Kerbin with no problems.

Could it be your scanner is over heating you said it only happens at high speed, and it doesn't seem like the stock fairings are perfectly air/heat tight? I know I've had stuff over heat inside one before, just a thought.

The problem is one of the files inside "ResourceFiles" folder, if I remove that folder there is no problem.

Heating may be the problem yes but there is no bar showing the heat on that piece neither it explodes like any other overheating part, it just dissapears and then the rocket becomes very hard/impossible to control. Also the camera moves just at that moment.

In any case if you can put surveys probes in orbit without problem then it must be something in my install or my specific ksp config.

Arround 600 m/s in kerbin atmosphere.

If somebody is able to put a survey scanner in orbit with this mod then the bug only happens to me, maybe some config or corrupted file on my ksp install.

I tested the save game itself on another ksp install, (without new horizons), and it works.

...is that by any chance the M700? I can't launch that either, I kind of assumed it was stock issue - but the satellite I had that went nuts also had one on it...