[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

It was looking a little lonely after i took away all it's planets

haha but seriously apart from fixing the lighting its almost complete....but it does add a load more sciencedefs to write, GAH!

oh and those cliffs....20km high...just sayin! Have you ever successfully entered an atmosphere at 3-4000m/s and landed without the need of a parachute or engines? now you'll experience that joy!

Incredible, can't wait!!

Got home a little while ago and installed the 1.35 version. Thankfully it opened no problem. The rover on Arin seemed a little screwed up so I put down a lander from the mother ship orbiting Arin. I landed in a dark area but still way better then the last version. Nicely done! Tomorrow I will try a different planet.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/Arin%201.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/Arin%202.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/Arin%203.png

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/Arin%204.png

Edited by Larrt_M

Nice work man, looks great! So glad i finished all the surface materials finally, Arin looks great even in the dark areas, like an actual desert planet! keep me posted.

Oh, and I'll keep putting up little sneak peeks of the work i do as i go too :D!

hello

a little suggestion regarding gas giants.

how about reducing their surface radius by let's say 50-100km, same gravity, just let the atmosphere extend further down.

as an extra: at jupiter and saturn, there is a region in the atmosphere where the gas switches over to a liquid state (critical point in thermodynamic). since kerbal space can't model that, how about just giving them an ocean at surface height. this way, we could make gas planet surface stations. and launching back to space could be very... interesting.

hello

a little suggestion regarding gas giants.

how about reducing their surface radius by let's say 50-100km, same gravity, just let the atmosphere extend further down.

as an extra: at jupiter and saturn, there is a region in the atmosphere where the gas switches over to a liquid state (critical point in thermodynamic). since kerbal space can't model that, how about just giving them an ocean at surface height. this way, we could make gas planet surface stations. and launching back to space could be very... interesting.

Could be feasable once kopernicus implements oceans properly, but sadly at the moment a liquid core in gas giants isn't that possible. They are working on the ocean pqs mods though, so hopefully it wont be too long before i can experiment with the idea.

Gas giants are coded in a specific way as the texture of the planet is representitive of the gaseous layers, rather than a 'surface', so i would probably have to change the body from a gas giant to a planet config and tweak it to display the gas giant overlay....I think it could be done , just would take some work. I'll experiment with you idea when Kopernicus brings in it's ocean codes properly.

My rocket landed on Aptur where randomly teleported to kerbin(kerbin underground) when i was looking on map with kerbin, Aptur and rocket in 1 line. Just after i disabled time warp :/

Rocket lost only 1 landing strut+engine so not bad deal but still :E. And some of my rockets on kerbin orbit where teleportet inside Aptur when i loaded 1st time after updating mod :P

Hey, what does the ATM fix do? I don't use that mod and I haven't gotten any complaints about ATM for my mod but that could be coincidence. Is it necessary for ATM to function or is just to finetune the interaction with NH to get better looking results?

My rocket landed on Aptur where randomly teleported to kerbin(kerbin underground) when i was looking on map with kerbin, Aptur and rocket in 1 line. Just after i disabled time warp :/

Rocket lost only 1 landing strut+engine so not bad deal but still :E. And some of my rockets on kerbin orbit where teleportet inside Aptur when i loaded 1st time after updating mod :P

yeah updating can be a bit sketchy as it does alot of strange things. Thats why backing up saves is always recommended for every mod :wink:

as for the warping back to kerbin thing, it's weird. I haven't seen that in all my testing, If it happens again, please let me know...my test world has about 20 ships landed (crash landings are still landings!) on Aptur and I've never noticed anything strange happen...I'll have to put this on my 'keep an eye on' list

Hey, what does the ATM fix do? I don't use that mod and I haven't gotten any complaints about ATM for my mod but that could be coincidence. Is it necessary for ATM to function or is just to finetune the interaction with NH to get better looking results?

It might be something to do with the way kopernicus utilises rings, but they appear really distorted with ATM, unlike how KopernicusTech has no issues. Took me a while to figure out what was happening before i added the fix. It's not the ideal solution, but optimisation is top of my to-do list for next update (I was more focused on getting planets terrain fixed and making it stable). At the moment with the fix ATM shouldn't be compressing any textures for my mod, which is not the most ideal situation as my mod is very hungry for RAM, in the next update, I'm hoping to rearrange things to negate this and allow ATM to compress the texture maps too.

example of ring distortion

I'm sorry, this is a noob question, but how does one get to aptur? Mechjebs's transfer calculater does not work with it, and i cannot do a normal transfer because of its inclination and proximity to kerbin.

it's not too hard, i usually get the transfer for about 750 delta-v from a 100km kerbin orbit...easiest way to do it is wait till both kerbin and aptur are are their ap/peri then burn respectively to shift yourself into a encounter. At it's ap/peri, Aptur is at the same level as kerbin so if you time your maneuver correctly you don't even need an inclination change, as with most planets you just need that patience looking for the right window to burn...keep trying bro, you'll get it!

Edited by KillAshley

Titanus, what a big beautiful planet! I screwed up this landing wasting too much fuel. I think this lander could do a round trip if done correctly, but I may be wrong on that...

*snip*

almost missed this post! Yeah Titanus is probably my favorite planet i made, I just wish that Kopernicus was at the point where i could remove the Kittopia dependency and I could configure it properly! There is a lot of work to be done on it in the future, but as it stands the high gravity and 9 atmo of pressure make landings very interesting! :D

yeah updating can be a bit sketchy as it does alot of strange things. Thats why backing up saves is always recommended for every mod :wink:

as for the warping back to kerbin thing, it's weird. I haven't seen that in all my testing, If it happens again, please let me know...my test world has about 20 ships landed (crash landings are still landings!) on Aptur and I've never noticed anything strange happen...I'll have to put this on my 'keep an eye on' list

ill try to record that bug

Could be feasable once kopernicus implements oceans properly, but sadly at the moment a liquid core in gas giants isn't that possible. They are working on the ocean pqs mods though, so hopefully it wont be too long before i can experiment with the idea.

Gas giants are coded in a specific way as the texture of the planet is representitive of the gaseous layers, rather than a 'surface', so i would probably have to change the body from a gas giant to a planet config and tweak it to display the gas giant overlay....I think it could be done , just would take some work. I'll experiment with you idea when Kopernicus brings in it's ocean codes properly.

I see.

maybe take a look at uranus and neptune. they have virtually no cloud-features (neptune has a few small ones), but uranus is basically just a featureless pale blue ball (as if some creator ran out of ideas).

and since we have the environmental visual enhancement mod which adds a cloud-layer to planets, how about just using that in conjunction with the ocean-color? light-blue clouds with dark blue ocean, and the cloud-bands rotate over the surface.

is there a limit for the depth of planetary oceans? maybe the vessels just get crushed if they try to dive to deep.

yeah they looked great man, how did you find Tidus? i tried to make it so it was a little challenging, but not too bad. The iced areas are around 3 atmo pressure, but the water is at about 7! makes things very interesting i reckon haha!

fun fact: originally when i made tidus it was an oceanic planet with no land at all, but i wasn't happy as being so far from the sun the water shouldn't have been liquid.

Kerbin still needs it's muns....

Mun is still there, it just takes about 150 delta-v extra to get to!

I totally agree with the way the Sorran system is right now (except for the temperature of the main body, which I know will be fixed once Kopernicus fixes its problems :))

What bugs me though is the fact that I get missions for Minmus quite early (around the same time as Serran/Sonnah/Mun missions) and those missions have a ridiculously low time window for completion. I mean.....I am getting 9 years to put something into Kerbin orbit, but only 3 years to go to Minmus, collect science and come back to Kerbin... (Transfer Window Planner laughed at me because of that mission)

Is this some idiocy from Orbital Sciences (because only the missions from that pack were for Minmus) or is there another reason?