How do generally install/deinstall your mods?

CaptRobau

How do generally install/deinstall your mods?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. How do generally install/deinstall your mods?

• Manually add/remove from GameData
    • Same as above, but with multiple KSP installs (specify how many)
    • Generic mod managers, such as JSGME (please specify which)
    • KSP mod managers, such as CKAN (please specify which)
    • Other (please specify)

Manually add/remove from GameData. I've yet to come across a "manager" that doesn't find some way to screw everything up, whatever the platform involved (game mods, dev environments, operating systems, etc).

Manual. I know what I am doing and I sometimes do my own config for parts and MM. That said, I would love to see more modder using KSP-AVC so I don't have to do manual update too, that is a pain, and one thing that I would consider getting a mod manager for.

I used to do it all manually, but now that I'm using multiple installs of KSP I have found CKAN to be quite good at keeping track what is installed and isn't. A pet peeve of mine is mods that have GameData folders that don't actually have the name of the mod as the folder name. Makes it quite challenging when going through multiple installs and having to see what mods you do and do not have installed.

Generally by manually adding/removing folders from Gamedata. I currently have 3 installs:

1. Vanilla. For bug testing, this install sometimes has a single mod installed for testing.

2. Stock parts with info/vfx mods. This is my "main" install, where I do most of my playing.

3. RSS/RO. My "hard mode" game, has many physics, info and parts mods installed. This one is managed with CKAN.

I've tried CKAN on a few occasions, but typically install the manual way.

Currently messing around with an RSS linux install with far to many mods. Have a stock windows install I mess around with new mods in, though KER is always installed on that one. I have a semi-realism windows install I'm not playing to much these days. To be honest, I'm on a half-break right now, waiting to see how 1.0 turns out.

I manually manage the install/remove process from GameData, and I usually have two KSP installs going: one for nearly stock, one with a dozen or so mods. I've heard of CKAN before, never tried it, not sure I have the problem it is trying to solve (changing mods is pretty rare).

If it's on CKan I use that, if not (or for some reason it is incompatible, maybe due to license) I manually add and remove.

My preference is CKAN as it is easy to see which mods need updating before you load the game. Also you know you have the related mods.

Manually. I think at the moment I've just got a couple of 0.90 installs, a main one and a bone stock one.

I tried CKAN, it pulled in all of Firespitter when I wanted KAX so I promptly went back to manual. (I know, I know, CKAN can be configured not to do that, but the default did and that was enough to put me off further use.)

CKAN. There is no better way to do this.

I tried CKAN, it pulled in all of Firespitter when I wanted KAX so I promptly went back to manual. (I know, I know, CKAN can be configured not to do that, but the default did and that was enough to put me off further use.)

I fixed this recently. Also, you could use Part Manager Plugin to get rid of unwanted parts. Or fix metadata by yourself :P

Edited by TeddyDD

I use a mod manager (KSP Mod Admin) for my "main" game installs, and must say it works very well.

But, I also open a number of different installs for specific purposes (testing versions, or checking issues for support) and want to have absolute control over anything going in those. I manually copy/paste a lot to customize those installs as desired, no tool can provide the fine degree of control I need (sure not tools intended to automate installs and updates).

I voted "Other", as I use a combination of methods:

I usually run 3-5 separate installs for various reasons.

I usually install manually, but sometimes use KSP ModAdmin to manage mods...I mostly use it to streamline and strip out unneeded parts, so i can stuff MORE mods into the game... :) Its also good for figuring out craft files and missing mod parts...

I tried KSP-AVC for a little while, but it only worked for a miniscule amount of mods. I cant use CKAN, due to my router completely blocking the Github domain for some unknown reason...(Which means I skip most mods that are only available direct from Github links.. :( )

I just recently came across TinkerTime, and will probably give that a try soon.

Manually add/remove from GameData. I've yet to come across a "manager" that doesn't find some way to screw everything up, whatever the platform involved (game mods, dev environments, operating systems, etc).

Same here for the same reasons.

CKAN.

I typically install a set of mods for each playthrough, so if CKAN screws up I can just go back to a clean install and start again. Life's too short to chase dependencies by hand if you don't absolutely have to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.