Steam is updating KSP- Bye bey 64Bit

EladDv

you have to force it to do so while it drags it self screaming that it doesn't want to :P

This applies to a lot of things in Windows 8, I've found.:P

I think in that case, a VM would likely be best, as I lack the patience and composure necessary to navigate Windows 8's hissy fits. It already ate all my files once (Wifi went down during an update, and it tried to boot anyway. Now I don't even go get a snack during updates. I don't trust it:mad:)

Well, on having a dual boot between windows 8/8.1 and a linux client, remember that windows 8 doesn't like a single bit of being on dual boot and that you have to force it to do so while it drags it self screaming that it doesn't want to :P Google a bit before doing so, because there are issues to be solved if you go that way

Never had a problem with it. Dual booting requires proper preparation on any OS.

Never had a problem with it. Dual booting requires proper preparation on any OS.

I've had some computers that came with windows 8 from factory that didn't wanted to display the dual boot display at machine start until forced to ( the other OS install went smoothly )

I've had some computers that came with windows 8 from factory that didn't wanted to display the dual boot display at machine start until forced to ( the other OS install went smoothly )

That's an easy one to explain? The OEM doesn't want to have to deal with any problems with their hardware on anything other than Windows so make it so only people with half a brain can dual boot, and those people can probably deal with their own issues.

If you get a OEM copy/iso then it works fine.

I'm having 'FUN' with this, it is trying to run the update, but it does nothing, says depot config is wrong. I did play x64 for a shortwhile then went back to x32. Could this be confusing it?

Found this on the Steam forums (second time getting better info from a third party on this subject):

You need to remove the x64 depot since they dropped 64bit support for the upcoming 1.0 release.

Source: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/328-The-future-of-Windows-64-bit-builds-for-KSP

Here's the fix.

Shutdown Steam.

You need to modify appmanifest_220200.acf located in your steam library:

\Steam_Library\SteamApps\appmanifest_220200.acf

Open the file with notepad.

MountedDepots{} section should only contain the following line:

"220201" "1535792782041218707"

Image: http://i.imgur.com/4JfrvI9.png

If the MountedDepots{} section contains two lines, ex:

"220201" "1535792782041218707"

"220204" "4592345355617274346"

Image: http://i.imgur.com/yEgv55w.png

Remove the last line so that it looks like this in the picture below:

http://i.imgur.com/4JfrvI9.png

Save the modified file. Start Steam. Run KSP and it will successfully complete the update. Even though it reports it to be "0 bytes"

Image: http://i.imgur.com/ZtZPaHC.png

Edited by Frybert

I'm hereby casting my vote on the "let us keep 64 bit anyway" side. Many do exist who say it was a train wreck on its best days, but 1: I know from experience that at least one computer exists in the universe on which it runs fine (and there's probably more), and 2: if they ever plan to port KSP to Unity 5 (I know this won't be for 1.0, but still, eventually) then it'd be a waste not to capitalize on its improved 64 bit support.

I'm hereby casting my vote on the "let us keep 64 bit anyway" side. Many do exist who say it was a train wreck on its best days, but 1: I know from experience that at least one computer exists in the universe on which it runs fine (and there's probably more), and 2: if they ever plan to port KSP to Unity 5 (I know this won't be for 1.0, but still, eventually) then it'd be a waste not to capitalize on its improved 64 bit support.

The existence of a couple computers on which something runs fine doesn't mean you should release something that for *most* people is incredibly unstable as part of your RTM game. As for Unity 5, they can re-add it just as easily as they removed it. Removing a Win64 depot is not permanent.

The existence of a couple computers on which something runs fine doesn't mean you should release something that for *most* people is incredibly unstable as part of your RTM game. As for Unity 5, they can re-add it just as easily as they removed it. Removing a Win64 depot is not permanent.

Agreed totally.

Speaking of Unity 5, I'm a 7 Days to Die player, and they've actually transitioned to Unity 5. It wasn't without it's headaches, and the promised performance improvements weren't as big as they implied they would be, but it did work, and our framerate did improve (well, most of us anyhow. I think the integrated video guys are even worse off now), despite some fairly substantial render quality upgrades.

While the games are .. very different, at least we know for sure that you can ship a working(ish) product with Unity 5 :)

(it's generally 64-bit too, although it doesn't go past the critical memory level of 3.5G)

Unless i'm misinterpreting your Unit 5 comment, they most certainly cannot just flcik a button and use Unity 5. It would be the largest change to the game in terms of code since release.

Let me vote on the "let's not bring back the build that had player harassing modders for bugs unrelated to their mods".

Building a game in 64bit for Unity is a checkbox. They can bring it back easily once it is stable.

Let me vote on the "let's not bring back the build that had player harassing modders for bugs unrelated to their mods".

Building a game in 64bit for Unity is a checkbox. They can bring it back easily once it is stable.

No need to vote, the devs with a bee in the bonnet on this issue have long since implemented code that disabled their products from operating when the 64bit version was running.

However, in contrast, there are many members here who are quite capable of removing this constraint, linking the correct dlls, and creating a 64bit compliant version. As such, these people are very unlikely to harass the primary developers about 64bit related problems.... What has happened in effect is to take away the right of these members to make a choice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.