Steam is updating KSP- Bye bey 64Bit

EladDv

Not really. It's only about a week or two out, so some minor under-the-hood work now wouldn't be too unexpected.

Where do you get a week or two from? They JUST went into experimentals (which usually takes 2 weeks at least), and we've been told this round would be significantly longer than the previous ones.

I only started using it about 2 days ago, so I'm not really worried about losing 64 bit...I am a little unnerved they did it without any prior warning however.

Squad doesn't do that normally so I am going to guess that it was probably an accident. Still strange though.

Where do you get a week or two from? They JUST went into experimentals (which usually takes 2 weeks at least), and we've been told this round would be significantly longer than the previous ones.

Pretty sure it went in a week ago or something like that? Either way, pretty sure we're looking at a month at a stretch, assuming all goes well. Even if it goes way longer, the fact that they've entered experminentals at all means that prep work now is not at all unreasonable.

As for the removal of the 64-bit launcher, no idea why they'd do that. Not that it'll be missed.

Pretty sure it went in a week ago or something like that? Either way, pretty sure we're looking at a month at a stretch, assuming all goes well. Even if it goes way longer, the fact that they've entered experminentals at all means that prep work now is not at all unreasonable.

As for the removal of the 64-bit launcher, no idea why they'd do that. Not that it'll be missed.

They just started experimentals this morning from the look of things.

To all 64 bit users, a patch is currently active via the usual Steam interface which deletes (at least) KSP_x64.exe and the KSP_x64_data directory.

If you are running your x64 version from the default Steam location and you have 'auto update' configured then you may have already lost your ability to continue your current game.

I am uncertain at this point if this is an official patch as I have seen no discussions regarding its imminent release.

You are therefore advised to make what necessary backups you need (should you not already have them) before allowing this update to proceed.

Better still, it may be wiser to prevent this update from progressing at all until some clarity is received from Squad.

EDIT:... Hmmm... it seems that autodupate cannot be disabled entirely....

Edited by BruceKnowles

Codswallop... its no more buggy than the 32bit on average.. I have 182 mods running under 64bit and I can live with it.... don't let the communal propaganda get to you.

I admit it is not perfect or necessarily stable, but neither is the 32 bit.

Source: Unless if someone went in and deleted KSP 64 bit from the steam servers, the KSP team must ie done it. Therefore - official

That was not what happened. Someone delivered a steam update that cuts the 64 bit client off of the steam installs of people ( or you really think that people play KSP on steam via remote acess to a server with the clients there ? ). And let's be honest, it is not the first time that Steam borks games due to updates without knowledge of the devs of that game ( example: Medieval Total war II ).

Anyway, the OP is right. SQUAD did not say anything on this ( remember not having a 1.0 64bit version is not the same as erasing the 0.90 64bit client ). My personal bet is, barring that SQUAD actually did wanted to do this ( can be ), that someone in the experimentals inadvertently leaked the code that was to delete the 0.90 64bit client when 1.0 is to be installed to the Steam updates ...

That was not what happened. Someone delivered a steam update that cuts the 64 bit client off of the steam installs of people ( or you really think that people play KSP on steam via remote acess to a server with the clients there ? ). And let's be honest, it is not the first time that Steam borks games due to updates without knowledge of the devs of that game ( example: Medieval Total war II ).

Anyway, the OP is right. SQUAD did not say anything on this ( remember not having a 1.0 64bit version is not the same as erasing the 0.90 64bit client ). My personal bet is, barring that SQUAD actually did wanted to do this ( can be ), that someone in the experimentals inadvertently leaked the code that was to delete the 0.90 64bit client when 1.0 is to be installed to the Steam updates ...

Not to mention this only applies to steam users. We haven't heard anything from people who bought it through Squad.

I have run a couple of tests:

1. Selecting Previous Stable Release in the Beta tab does not restore the missing x64 related files.

2. Running 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." with the above setting still set does not restore the missing files.

3. Resetting the game back to use the current version not surprisingly does not bring back the x64 Client.

4. Neither did another "Verify..."

I think I have now checked all of the basic paths... The 64 bit client is definitely MIA.

I don't know for sure (haven't done multiples in many years), but I think it's a space between each command.

eg -popupwindow -popupwindow

That's correct. It's basically command line arguments. People still learn that, right?

You think they've made THE worst system possible but they still come up with another reason to hate it.

No, they haven't. They could never touch Origin or U-play for sheer hatefulness and fail. Steam is the classical "lesser of two[three] evils".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.