Steam is updating KSP- Bye bey 64Bit

EladDv

My guess is that they needed to remove the 64-bit stuff from Steam in order to push 1.0 through the experimentals channel without supplying a 64-bit version. I don't know if Steam will let you have an architecture available for only one channel.

My guess is that they needed to remove the 64-bit stuff from Steam in order to push 1.0 through the experimentals channel without supplying a 64-bit version. I don't know if Steam will let you have an architecture available for only one channel.

If I understand DevNotes correctly, there is a standalone server for experimentals.

And even if they use Steam for this, there is betas - which allow you to create a different patch lineup, without need to break the main game.

- - - Updated - - -

If you read Teds post you'll see he says nothing regarding removal of the file for 1.0, he says "That was due to changes we made for win64."

Yeah, I've read his post. And if by "changes" he meant "complete removal" - then please give me a link to his post where he announced these "changes".

Squad does not have to announce all changes, if files are going to be updated that's up to Squad, sorry bio but you know you're asking for something that doesn't exist, but maybe this and this cover it.

Fair enough, Squad is under no legal obligation to inform us of changes. That being said, its still pretty bad form to just remove it without any prior warning. It would have saved me a few minutes of headache trying to figure out why KSP wouldn't load if someone would have just said 'Oh heads up, we're removing 64 bit so update your Steam settings to accommodate. '

Ok, this still does not explain why only Steam users got the shaft ... People that bought the game in other parts still have the 64bit client AFAIK :P

Non-Steam users have to patch the game manually so i guess it's until 1.0 that you'll have your precious 64bit

Squad does not have to announce all changes, if files are going to be updated that's up to Squad, sorry bio but you know you're asking for something that doesn't exist, but maybe this and this cover it.

You're honestly quoting the tos and eula because Squad didn't tell people they were removing the x64 version of KSP for steam?

Seriously, that's sad.

Look, Steam, GOG, Uplay, Origin... the instant you give up the right to original unaltered media you give up your freedom to complain about it.

I remember there was a borderlands 1 update a few years ago; the update did one thing and announced it proudly: Give or take "In preparation for the release of Borderlands 2, we're releasing this update to collect data about our customer's computers."

Now, is the data likely to be innocuous? Sure. But the only way to back out of the update would be to install an older version of the software, but as Steam only provides what the developer has you've completely lost control over your software. In many cases, GOG's habit of applying "fan patches" can also break more than they fix; the problem is these patches normally modify or replace now removed files. Heck, we can even say that not every version of KSP has been a 100% improvement over the other.

What likely happened is SQUAD just removed the 64-bit version from the store. Steam did what it does best, started an auto-update because your files no longer match what its records say they should be. At no point did SQUAD say "find and delete all versions of x64 from people's computers," it is an autogenerated script that compares versions (or perhaps just what is in the folder.) between what is expected and executes.

When you give up your right over the control of software for "convenience" you cannot complain when it affects you negatively. The battle has been lost, the public has accepted the whole "always updated" lie as truth and finding independent updates has long past. If an update affects you negatively, just look around at all the updates that could be doing things you don't know.

See... YOU never read the patch notes; and there ARE updates that do things even like applying DRM to games. Not just the big companies either. There are "security updates" that are designed to break things like a rooted product; or even updates which silently turn an originally free product into a trial product.

Read The Patch Notes. RTPN, like RTFM but different.

Non-Steam users have to patch the game manually so i guess it's until 1.0 that you'll have your precious 64bit

You didn't understood me. if I go to buy the game today on KSP store or get it from other places, AFAIK the 0.90 version there still has the 64bit client ( atleast that was what was told in here yesterday ), while the Steam users do not. (P.S if I'm wrong about this correct me ). More, AFAIK there was no update for people that did not buy this on steam ( again feel free to correct me ), so if that is true your point is moot. And besides that, I still have my precious ( +1 snark point to you , fine gentleman ) 64bit client since I was already bitten once by Steam borking games via update and I keep a spare KSP install as backup ;)

Anyway, I still maintain this was a screwup by the part of someone in between SQUAD and Steam and that they are trying to limit damage, given that SQUAD tends to hint on changes well in advance. They even give advance warning about freeze dried KSP icecream, for heavens sake :D

I removed the x64 branch off Steam to avoid confusion. The win64 build was outdated and unstable, so we decided to take it down for the time being.

x64 is now on the backburner until a stable version comes along... That's not up to us though, so we can do nothing more than wait and see.

Cheers

Saw this on Orbiter Forum.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22998&page=103

Edited by Frybert
Added link.

The very nature of this pre-release thing means they do whatever they doing. They are still making the game so things will come (and occasionally go). To me this is a hint they arn't looking to sort the 64 bit thing out any time soon.

I did not use 64 bit anyway, it crashed alot. So nothing lost here.

Literally.

I configured steam client to not update games and it warns me now before downloading updates.

And Minecraft did the same thing, so for that and KSP I make a copy of every major version change, and the beauty of these games is you can run them from different directories, doesn't need to be through steam.

MC has a nice launcher now, you can choose the version you want to play with, I suppose by the time KSP gets to that kind of stage after 1.x they will probably end up with something similar.

When you buy these games before they're complete everything is subject to change, they say .... like you can contribute to the building of the game - i imagine via various means, these forums, this thread may get 64 bit back in the picture at some point. People making mods, they are contributing to the game. etc. Nver could you expect someone at squad there to be reading the forums all the time taking every note and suggestion to the board though.

If they turned around tomorrow and said "We're removing the mainsail" I would then be starting a similar thread to this.

To tell the truth, once it hits v1.0 every newer version should be comatible with the last, and things should only really be added or altered. I'm happy they removed it now, before finishing time.

I am right in thinking they will be releasing an update or after 1.0 versions?

Thnks

That doesn't change the fact that it was a pretty lame idea to give all your win 64 users the finger for no reason.

Just wanted to quote this for truth. Pulling x64 for existing versions seems a bit harsh and drastic. There were some out there who were running it with no problems. Has anything (other than a tweet from Ted) even been stated by SQUAD yet?

I saw this coming on release of 0.90 when Career was totally broken for anyone on x64 (KSC upgrade bug) and SQUAD's response was pretty much "Oh well...that's x64" instead of what should have been "we'll get that fixed up so career at least functions in 0.90"

Has there been any word by them here? I'm looking and I don't see any.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, you know, obviously not in this thread, but the previous post was 2 hours old and maybe something happened somewhere else?

I wonder how many people noticed their KSP installation didn't work, and rushed to the Orbiter forum to find out why.

Well seeing as how they actually got a response over there, one might be inclined to do so in the future.

Edited my previous post with a link. Its sad that they will make a response on a forum for a whole different program, but not on their own forums.

Indeed, and that isn't the first case of this happening either. And to boot Squad is a PR company first and foremost! I'm on ocean away from them, so wont count as a lost client, but I would never ever hire them to do my PR after this show.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.