When should I buy KSP?

VPS2A1

Hi guys!

I'm new to KSP and I love the demo (and I think the full version is even better) so I ask: When should I buy KSP?

I mean, when KSP will be out of beta, it's price will probably raise. But can I expect it to be on sale soon?

It should be a 1.0 release Soonâ„¢. I would buy it the next time its on sale through steam.

If I remember correctly the last sale was supposed to be the last one before release. So, I'd say maybe wait for the spring steam sale if there is one or go buy it now of of there website and not steam(less DRM).

I'm of the opinion (unsupported by data) that the price is going to go up when 1.0 officially releases, so I wouldn't wait too long to buy it, even if it's not on sale. No, I have no idea how far it might go up, and I don't think it will go up so far that a sale won't bring it down to the current price.

To be honest, I think the game is worth the $30 it's selling for on Steam right now. I think I have over 800 hours played on KSP. There are plenty of games I've bought for more than that and ended up disappointed. Lookin' at you, Rome II Total War.

But I remember what it was like when I was younger and had to be a little more discerning about waiting for discounts. If you must wait for a discount, there's likely to be one in a Steam Summer Sale which last year started on June 19th. Video games also have a general trend of going on sale a few months after release, after the early adopters have paid full price and the developer is trying to entice more buyers to keep their market momentum up.

EDIT: Conclusion - buy it now if you can. Even in beta with all its bugs, this game is addictive and fun.

Better buy it now. I'm sure the price will go up when 1.0 is released, and that's only a few weeks away at most!

Maybe it'll go on sale before then, but I wouldn't could on it.

Really, it's a toss up no matter what you decide. You might buy it now, find out the price went up after 1.0 and realize that you made out well... or, you could buy it now and see it go on sale for 25% off not long after. If price is your major concern, the only way you'll make out solid for sure is to wait until a good sale comes along. If play is your major concern, I'd recommend waiting for 1.0... a lot will be changing, and it will take those of us who've played a while already some time to adjust to the new mechanics... if you wait until 1.0 is released, you won't have to unlearn any habits from previous versions (and you have the advantage that there won't be many sweeping changes afterward... you're basically getting a polished product). Of course, if you just can't wait then buy now, nothing wrong with that (you're gonna do it sooner or later right? might as well be this weekend).

if you wait until 1.0 is released, you won't have to unlearn any habits from previous versions

They've already played the demo so they'll have possibly picked up some bad habits already. So they may as well get started playing now. And not all habits learned will be bad habits (i.e. the various different control schemes (staging vs docking vs EVA), which admittedly still throw my out but I've not heard that they're due to change)

Buy it when you have the funds.... Sell blood if poor. :sealed:
As soon as you can. Sell a kidney or two(doesn't have to be your own) if you need funds

This is the finest example of the KSP community explaining how you will buy KSP.

What the hell, guys?

I saw your post before. Now that I've thought about it, without reading anything else in this thread.

You should start your KSP adventures as soon as possible.

Even for the smartest folks, there is a lot to learn. Not just mechanics of game and rocketry, but little tiny things. The more KSP you play, the more KSP building blocks in your brain, the more you can do AND enjoy it.

I Started playing July 2013, still learn something new every week playing KSP, even stock.

G2A has it for around £13 (+ whatever VAT your country has). Very very reputable site.

Just had comment on this. G2A is an unlicensed reseller site. A lot of the keys up there were purchased at places with lower regional pricing and resold to other places and that's the most legitimate of their dealings. Reports of stolen and illegitimately acquired keys are not uncommon. The Far Cry 4 debacle where Devolver had to deactivate the keys because they were not legitimate is the most recent big one but not the only one. Products bought through them are questionable at best.

Buy now if you're concerned about possible price hikes but just beware that 1.0 may mean relearning some things with the new aerodynamics model and reentry heating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.