[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

You without DRE??? That's shocking!

Well, these were my early days of KSP. I didn't have many mods yet. I think I had MechJeb but I might not have.... I'd found ModularFuelTanks (Real Fuels was just a set of configs for it back then) and a bunch of parts packs like KWR and some Bobcat parts. Real Chute didn't even exist back then, which really caused me problems with my Laythe rescue ship because after having a Kerbal clamber around the outside of this really tall tail lander perched on a 5% slope repacking chutes, loading up the refugees and then lifting off.... I discovered a bug in the stock chutes where launching the ship caused all the repacked chutes to immediately deploy. Hilarity ensued. And of course I had SAVED the game so they were all now saved in a repacked state ready to go off the instant I launched. Only the action group mod saved me by assigning each chute a 'cut' group so I could immediately cut them all.

Yes, the funny old days of KSP, where realism (or something similar to) was an utopia... Sometimes I still laugh when I remember me launching three kerbals on a weird rocket trying to reach the altitude record, without other moons or planet.

Is that a MEtal Gear Solid reference I see?

Yup, it is.

Edited: So I just got rid of all the remaining OpenGL issues (wrong colors, artifacts, lines in the sky) but now some moire patterns started appearing over the ocean, just like in dx11 :(

Edited by blackrack

So I just fixed the main OpenGL problems (rainbow colors, lines in the sky, moire patterns (also appears to be fixed in dx11)), OpenGL now runs and looks beautiful (at least on my machine, hope it runs just as well on Mac and Linux).

Note this is just an OpenGL update, I won't be releasing multiplanets at this time as it's not ready yet.

I'll be uploading a new build to Kerbalstuff in a few minutes. Have fun.

Edited: There may be some new horizon artifacts around the ocean I will try to look into soon but they're nowhere near as bad as the old problems.

Edited by blackrack

For people who use OpenGL, does antialiasing just not work? Do I have to force it through the drivers?

Something like that...I'm hopping back into using it (and Scatterer!) again, and seem to get some FPS back by dialing AA down in the game settings, but not sure what the best practice would be to smooth the image out a bit.

I still need to remove a few part packs to get clouds back, but Scatterer alone just gives it so much depth. No lines at all in OpenGL. Thank you so very much!

Good news! I worked for me as well.

I attempted to use it with RSS, but with no luck. The Alt-F11 Gui shows no options or information, just pops up blank. I attempted to change the config.xml planet name to Earth with no luck, that actually causes a memory leak or something and IIRC the GUI still popped up blank (before the memory leak induced crash). I also tried copying the KerbinSettings.txt and renaming to EarthSettings.txt, no luck.

Is is theoretically possible to get this working with RSS? It would be pretty cool if we could. RSS is lacking shiny graphical mods since the 1.0+ bump.

Thanks for all the hard work blackrack!

I just came back from a camping trip and decided to record the sunset. This is what I'm imagining Scatterer will look like in the not-so-far-away future. :)

I also recorded the entire thing in 50 minutes of film which I'll compress down to 2.5-5 minutes hopefully by the end of the week. I gotta say that in going for beauty, your sunsets are spot on. :D

Good news! I worked for me as well.

I attempted to use it with RSS, but with no luck. The Alt-F11 Gui shows no options or information, just pops up blank. I attempted to change the config.xml planet name to Earth with no luck, that actually causes a memory leak or something and IIRC the GUI still popped up blank (before the memory leak induced crash). I also tried copying the KerbinSettings.txt and renaming to EarthSettings.txt, no luck.

Is is theoretically possible to get this working with RSS? It would be pretty cool if we could. RSS is lacking shiny graphical mods since the 1.0+ bump.

Thanks for all the hard work blackrack!

Yeah, I will get it working as soon as possible.

I just came back from a camping trip and decided to record the sunset. This is what I'm imagining Scatterer will look like in the not-so-far-away future. :)

I also recorded the entire thing in 50 minutes of film which I'll compress down to 2.5-5 minutes hopefully by the end of the week. I gotta say that in going for beauty, your sunsets are spot on. :D

Cool, reference material!

I didn't say anything about this bug being fixed (it's not OpenGL-specific), also, it's still in the "Known issues of newest version" section of the OP, please check before posting.

Oh, I see, sorry for bothering you

Are those surface textures added by Kopernicus as well? I want them on my stock Kerbin.

That is http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/232411-kerbin-planet-texture + my personal color tweaks.

The latest version is giving me the "Mun is too visible in daylight" thing with default configs (when combined with AVP, if that matters).

Do you mean it's drawing in front of the atmosphere or it's just too bright? What about without any other mods? Post screen if possible.

This is one of those mods that when you try them you and can never go back to vanilla. And not only it looks beautiful, but I don't feel any slowdown (and my PC is quite 'modest'...) Awesome job!!

Do you mean it's drawing in front of the atmosphere or it's just too bright? What about without any other mods? Post screen if possible.

It appears I was incorrect earlier, it is not being drawn over the atmosphere, but still appears really bright even when low on the horizon. The effect is visible both in an otherwise stock install and my moderately heavily modded install. All Scatterer settings at default.

Stock with Scatterer only:

screenshot105.png

From modded install (Win64, AVP with latest stable EVE, TR, PlanetShine etc):

screenshot73.png

It seems to me the dark side of the Mun shouldn't be visible in these conditions. I'm not sure if this is a bug, per se, or just a setting that can be adjusted. So far in all other ways the default settings seem very good (i.e. beautiful :)).

It appears I was incorrect earlier, it is not being drawn over the atmosphere, but still appears really bright even when low on the horizon. The effect is visible both in an otherwise stock install and my moderately heavily modded install. All Scatterer settings at default.

Stock with Scatterer only:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61004449/KSP/1.0.4/Scatterer/screenshot105.png

From modded install (Win64, AVP with latest stable EVE, TR, PlanetShine etc):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61004449/KSP/1.0.4/Scatterer/screenshot73.png

It seems to me the dark side of the Mun shouldn't be visible in these conditions. I'm not sure if this is a bug, per se, or just a setting that can be adjusted. So far in all other ways the default settings seem very good (i.e. beautiful :)).

Well, it seems brighter than on my stock install for some reason, also, first pic seems more or less alright while second pic it doesn't even look like there's any blue on it. Anyway, I already have a way of dimming the mun and other celestial objects that I haven't released yet (and they get progressively dimmer the more they approach the horizon, you can see it on the previous Laythe/Jool screens that I posted a few pages back) so that may very well fix this but I'm not sure if I can make the dark side completely invisible as I don't want to turn this into a post-processing effect for various reasons.

Edited by blackrack

soo lets put this up front freaking WOW.

currently using scatterer, wip EVE and planetshine, and strangely enough: all of it works, no strange big gamebreaking bugs! and best of all! no slowdowns! (it looks strangely HIGHER FPS even.. unsure how thats possible.)

only one strange thing. there is a huge red glow around the sun as see going up in the atmosphere..i searched the thread but nothing came up, anyone know why thats happening and what i can do?

EDIT: CANCEL MY WHINING!, its an WIP EVE problem, nothing to do with scatterer. soo DOUBLE the you are awsome rations for you! :D

Edited by Thahat