Career?

Andrewx21

But still no alternate fund source... :( That is literally the most important thing for me as I find contracts incredibly grindy and pointless. Oh well.

Patents Licensing gives a sizable amount of funds for science now. Combine this with a decent rover or VTOL, and the biomes added in 0.90, and you have an alternate revenue stream. :)

Patents Licensing gives a sizable amount of funds for science now. Combine this with a decent rover or VTOL, and the biomes added in 0.90, and you have an alternate revenue stream. :)
Still can't see myself enduring the early grind to get there, plus the fact that science is not unlimited. It's alright, I don't blame you, Arsonide, I blame an utterly boring and uninteresting base system. Good thing we still have sandbox mode.

Still can't see myself enduring the early grind to get there, plus the fact that science is not unlimited. It's alright, I don't blame you, Arsonide, I blame an utterly boring and uninteresting base system. Good thing we still have sandbox mode.

Use the debug menu to cheat funds for yourself

Another unnoted change to career was the mobile lab function, perpetual science generation

guess what gets spammed in a 75km equatorial orbit next update......

I assume the mobile lab does the same in a Science game as a Career game?

For the full 1.0 release -> has to be a new career. Vanilla too, just to get the feel. But I guess it will be a completion race, how fast can I unlock everything. Then start over with the updated mods. On an extra note I'm really looking forward to the performance improvements.

I'm excited to start a new career mode because my 0.90 career save was me learning KSP, so it's an absolute mess with wreckages all over the solar system... Now what I'd like to do with 1.00 is to aim for full reusability in my designs, design a family of rockets and planes to do the job rather than everything from scratch, and then try and see if there is anyway to make money from asteroid harvesting...

Can you make more money from de-orbiting the roid and driving a tanker there to mine it... Or do I send up economical SSTOs to bring the stuff back. No longer does take-off capability matter... This might have the makings for a good challenge?

I will certainly try it. But I will (probably) first try out a few things in sandbox. I am curious to know if I can still make my ring stations, getting the ring segments up through the new atmosphere. It shouldn't be a problem, but looking forwards to trying!

http://jscript.ca/ksp-images/beta/BigRing/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-22%20at%202.10.28%20PM.png

What should I say? I really want to make ring stations. Big ones. But with the new aero/heat model? I don't know...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll be doing sandbox for an hour to check out the new parts, then starting a new career. I'll be cheating through the first time to check out the contracts, as I need to know what they've added so i can update my contract mod appropriately.

It'll depend on how the tech tree and contracts are arranged, but the general direction for Kerbfleet V1.0 Career is as follows:

Phase 1. Basic suborbital missions to unlock aircraft parts

Phase 2. Kerbin surveys in aircraft for moar science/funds

Phase 3. Kerbin orbital program to Mun/Minmus crewed landings.

Phase 4: Establish refueling base on Minmus surface

STRATEGY: Divert FUNDS-->SCIENCE

Phase 5: Using new refinery, farm Minmus survey contracts to amass huge funds/science

Phase 6: Finish tech tree and begin launching capital ships for interplanetary exploration.

STRATEGY: ALL TO FUNDS

Phase 7: Capture a Class E asteroid and convert to kerbosynchronous orbit refueling base

Phase 8: Establish infrastructure (survey probes, mining/refueling bases, space stations)

...8a: Duna/Ike

...8b: Eve

...8c: Dres and asteroid belt

...8d: Jool

...8e: Eeloo and Moho

Phase 9: Jool-5 challenge

Phase 10: Eve Rocks challenge

...not that I've thought too much about it :)

Howdi,

I am hoping Tech Tree Manager will work - I think mine in v90 broke.

I revamp the Tech Tree to make it more challenging...so I have to look at parts and sort out my MODS which are mostly already placed in the stock tree...kudos to me !

So yeah but I may have to cheat once to max out the Science building upgrade specs so I can replan out my Squad parts in the Tech Tree, again as well as the other MODS...it will be modded right out of the box asap - I really dont expect any problems; the game/SIM (!) will be just that much more difficult to 'fly' tis all...

Career Mode All The Way !

Cmdr Zeta

Still looks like a terribly grindy mess of unrelated game concepts. Maybe if we had an income stream outside of contracts I'd consider it again, but I'll be playing either Science or Sandbox.

Totally agree.. I've played some of the new career mode now but it still feels pretty much the same. No depth, lots of grind. To me it's just rather pointless and the contracts don't add much to the game as they are all pretty much the same. But luckily the game is great in many other ways :) And I'm aware of the new science system, but it's really not enough to make the career mode into something enjoyable according to myself.

I like career. Sandbox is fun but not having any limits on what I can spend or being limited by tech make it less of a challenge for me. I suppose I could challenge myself and not use parts past a certain point in the tech tree or amount I can spend of vehicles. I played science mode a lot also but being able to build without worrying about failed missions or vehicle cost also limits the challenge.

As for the contracts I take te ones that make sense to me and somewhat realistic. The others I just decline unless I had a hard run then I start paying more attention to what the rewards are compared to the cost and accept contracts based off that.

I played a several hours of vanilla 1.0 today and now going to start looking for what mods have been updated.

Edit: Forgot to add I generally give myself an extra 20 science when starting a new career. Just do not feel like spending too much time with suborbital flights in the beginning unless I am testing vehicle design.

Edited by WOODY01

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.