[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

9 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

I can help you out with that, but I'm gonna need a link to ... well, something. Like a link to those patches. Or pull requests. Or branch. Or repo. 

Ah, now I see. You mean this? https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureSpacecraft/commit/33f2f7b9ca101f5ef65e3bfd998130067f866f15

Just go to the current master branch, go into GameData/NearFutureSpacecraft/Patches/NFSpacecraftUSILifeSupport , then click on "raw". Now you can download the file. This is how I got the link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureSpacecraft/master/GameData/NearFutureSpacecraft/Patches/NFSpacecraftUSILifeSupport

I might be able to answer that as well, but what are "EPL parts hider"? I see that this has already been resolved.

Hey - thank you for finding the links without my help. I tried to quote the post with them in it but the quoting button screwed up in quite a spectacular way (I'm still getting used to the new forum) and it was midnight already so I couldn't face fixing it.

Your help is very much appreciated! Thanks to you I sorted it all out.

1 hour ago, Boots said:

Your help is very much appreciated! Thanks to you I sorted it all out.

You're welcome :)

Hi, so is the habitation multiplier mechanic supposed to work for disconnected bases? It seems not to be:

Is this by design? I would kind of expect, that if the 150m hab radius joins all habitation space to one, that the multipliers are also joined.

Not sure what is going on but it seems that all my command pods and stuff now have repair parts in them for some reason.  Also, there appears to be additional stats in the info window called habitation?  I only have the USI-LS installed and no other USI mods so I do not know what exactly is going on.

47 minutes ago, JamesL86 said:

Not sure what is going on but it seems that all my command pods and stuff now have repair parts in them for some reason.  Also, there appears to be additional stats in the info window called habitation?  I only have the USI-LS installed and no other USI mods so I do not know what exactly is going on.

Where have you been?  Release notes are your friend(all of them)

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Where have you been?  Release notes are your friend(all of them)

I am new to using things other than TAC-LS and I have not really played modded KSP that much in a while.  I read through the USI-LS OP on page 1 and I did not see anything about the above mentioned things.  I was directed to USI-LS by a friend of mine that said it was simpler to deal with than TAC-LS plus it had an integrated greenhouse part.  One less mod ya know?  So, what is this stuff anyway?  I hope it not some complicated stuff like MKS.  Hats off to Roverdude for the added complexity with MKS but I just wanted a LS mod, with a greenhouse part in it, that would give me a game mechanic reason to go visit outposts every so often.  USI-LS is, I think, the only LS mod that has the greenhouse bit and does not have a buttload of superfluous resources.  I could be wrong though.

It may not be that hard to believe considering my above response but, I am not tech savvy.  I also don't really follow the forums much at all and its only recently that I sort of made myself start interacting more.  Sorry if I step on any toes or break any unspoken rules of forum manners ahead of time.  I generally do not participate in internet social structure very much.

5 minutes ago, JamesL86 said:

I am new to using things other than TAC-LS and I have not really played modded KSP that much in a while.  I read through the USI-LS OP on page 1 and I did not see anything about the above mentioned things.  I was directed to USI-LS by a friend of mine that said it was simpler to deal with than TAC-LS plus it had an integrated greenhouse part.  One less mod ya know?  So, what is this stuff anyway?  I hope it not some complicated stuff like MKS.  Hats off to Roverdude for the added complexity with MKS but I just wanted a LS mod, with a greenhouse part in it, that would give me a game mechanic reason to go visit outposts every so often.  USI-LS is, I think, the only LS mod that has the greenhouse bit and does not have a buttload of superfluous resources.  I could be wrong though.

It may not be that hard to believe considering my above response but, I am not tech savvy.  I also don't really follow the forums much at all and its only recently that I sort of made myself start interacting more.  Sorry if I step on any toes or break any unspoken rules of forum manners ahead of time.  I generally do not participate in internet social structure very much.

Well don't take this the wrong way but the thing is you could read the release notes. Or just browse back a bit on posts and find all of your answers. Or you could just ask someone to retype all the answers again (see where I'm going with that?)

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/releases

33 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Well don't take this the wrong way but the thing is you could read the release notes. Or just browse back a bit on posts and find all of your answers. Or you could just ask someone to retype all the answers again (see where I'm going with that?)

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI-LS/releases

Well, I have had a look through the link you put in there.  I have also skimmed back through about half of the 60-odd pages of posts.  I really wish Roverdude would simply update the OP with all current relevant information for those that are trying to find it.  There is absolutely nothing in there pertaining to this "habitation" mechanic and nothing explaining things in the Github link that I can find.  Near as I have been able to tell skimming through the comments the habitation thingy is some sort of time limit for the mission based on space available.  I am not sure if it breaks parts but I saw a few bits about maintenance mentioned.  

Respectfully to Mr. Roverdude, this sounds like a lot more hassle than I really wanted out of a LS mod.  I really truly do find your work fascinating but it does not really match my playstyle, which is predominantly Sandbox or that mod I can't remember the name of that unlocks the tech tree in career but still leaves you dealing with contracts.

If you have any recommendations on other LS mods that might be floating around (I only know of TAC, USI and Snacks) then I am all ears.  I am mainly looking for what I guess you could consider the pre-habitation style USI-LS as described by the friend that led me here.  Mind you, I doubt he is aware of these updates since he has not played in many months.  I have tried out snacks in the past but it was sort of on the other end of the spectrum from USI.  Where I find USI-LS (and MKS etc) to be more complex than I want to get into, Snacks was a bit too simple.  TAC is what I have mostly always used but good greenhouses and other in-situ methods of supply for that mod are in my experience hard to come by.  I suppose I could try a LS-less play but then I feel like there is not a lot stopping me from just dumping kerbals all over the solar system and leaving it at that. 

At any rate, thanks for the info, goldenpsp.  I still have not found a complete explanation of this habitation thing but I'll continue looking.

Edited by JamesL86
Grammer

12 minutes ago, JamesL86 said:

Well, I have had a look through the link you put in there.  I have also skimmed back through about half of the 60-odd pages of posts.  I really wish Roverdude would simply update the OP with all current relevant information for those that are trying to find it.  There is absolutely nothing in there pertaining to this "habitation" mechanic and nothing explaining things in the Github link that I can find.  Near as I have been able to tell skimming through the comments the habitation thingy is some sort of time limit for the mission based on space available.  I am not sure if it breaks parts but I saw a few bits about maintenance mentioned.  

Respectfully to Mr. Roverdude, this sounds like a lot more hassle than I really wanted out of a LS mod.  I really truly do find your work fascinating but it does not really match my playstyle, which is predominantly Sandbox or that mod I can't remember the name of that unlocks the tech tree in career but still leaves you dealing with contracts.

If you have any recommendations on other LS mods that might be floating around (I only know of TAC, USI and Snacks) then I am all ears.  I am mainly looking for what I guess you could consider the pre-habitation style USI-LS as described by the friend that led me here.  Mind you, I doubt he is aware of these updates since he has not played in many months.  I have tried out snacks in the past but it was sort of on the other end of the spectrum from USI.  Where I find USI-LS (and MKS etc) to be more complex than I want to get into, Snacks was a bit too simple.  TAC is what I have mostly always used but good greenhouses and other in-situ methods of supply for that mod are in my experience hard to come by.  I suppose I could try a LS-less play but then I feel like there is not a lot stopping me from just dumping kerbals all over the solar system and leaving it at that. 

At any rate, thanks for the info, goldenpsp.  I still have not found a complete explanation of this habitation thing but I'll continue looking.

Yea updating the OP would be easiest, but Roverdude goes to fast to keep up on documentation...

You missed the explanation post  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/105202-105-usi-life-support-036-bug-fix-update/&do=findComment&comment=2360975

That being said it can all be turned off in the config so you can have pre-habitation settings, mostly.  Otherwise i would stick with TAC-LS

@JamesL86 - You can easily turn off the hab mechanic if you are so inclined (wear and tear is already off by default).  Sorry, been one of those things that we've been discussing over the past few months tho I totally see how it can be missed.

I expect several of the folks can show you how to turn it off :)

That being said - all it really adds (again, there is no wear by default) is a time limit you can stuff a Kerbal in a lander can for.  i.e. to get to eeloo you need to add hitchhikers, and maybe a cupola or two - so your interstellar ships kinda look... well... interstellar :)

It's a minor change but an interesting one,  and (by default) no extra resource chains, etc. so it may still be worth the look.

2 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Yes, 5 in the right part, none in the left part. Does it depend on the distribution?

Yep, you want a Kerbal in each base - otherwise the vessel gets culled from life support (it can't distinguish between a base you don't want tracked because there are no Kerbals in it, and one you want to use as an unoccupied disconnected hab)

Edited by RoverDude

52 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Yea updating the OP would be easiest, but Roverdude goes to fast to keep up on documentation...

You missed the explanation post  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/105202-105-usi-life-support-036-bug-fix-update/&do=findComment&comment=2360975

That being said it can all be turned off in the config so you can have pre-habitation settings, mostly.  Otherwise i would stick with TAC-LS

I kind of like the idea now that I have read the full description.  Thanks for that btw, goldenpsp.  The only part that would bug me would be the lifecycle of the equipment.  I am fully invested in the idea put forth by Squad's design decisions that kerbal equipment simply does not break down in the game.  Its the reason that I do not use any of the breakdown mods and that I agree with Squad's continued stance against any sort of mechanic to that end in the stock game. 

I may give it a toss in my current sandbox but I think you might be right.  TAC-LS is probably what I'll stick with.  Its been fairly reliable and I understand it well. 

Are there any other LS mods floating around out in the modder-sphere?  I seem to recall something like Iron Cross or ION Cross or something like that back in the day.  I can't seem to find a reference to it but then again this new forum is still confusing the ever-loving hydrazine outta me, lol.  Surely with the amount of time I've been away from the game there must be more than 2 LS mods out there, right?

A couple of things :)  There is no wear and tear by default (since you would have no way to fix it!).  The hab duration is more a case of 'stick Jeb in a can for twenty years he might go nuts'.

That being said, in the upcoming patch (as in... give me a few minutes) I did pull hab back to a default of 'off' just to avoid confusion.  Of course, recyclers are on since you need those :)  The MPL is the stock one and is pretty decent.  That should keep it simpler for folks new to the mod (and of course other mods like UKS can and do tweak these values).

0.3.7 - 2016.02.02
------------------
Fixed a gui glich showing an unused menu option
Added kerbal experience trait (P/E/S) to LS GUI
Removed habitation by default as it was causing some confusion.  Recyclers remain on by default.

34 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

A couple of things :)  There is no wear and tear by default (since you would have no way to fix it!).  The hab duration is more a case of 'stick Jeb in a can for twenty years he might go nuts'.

That being said, in the upcoming patch (as in... give me a few minutes) I did pull hab back to a default of 'off' just to avoid confusion.  Of course, recyclers are on since you need those :)  The MPL is the stock one and is pretty decent.  That should keep it simpler for folks new to the mod (and of course other mods like UKS can and do tweak these values).

Wow a response from the man himself!  Its a privilege sir! :D  I am sorry that I took so long in writing my response to goldenpsp that i missed your response that was made before it.  Having a bit of an OCD bent towards grammer but not being physically able to type well is, well, a slow process as you might imagine.  Your two replies do put give the topic a bit more clarity and I appreciate that immensely. 

Its funny that you mention the habitation requirements for kerbals.  Its a bit of a personal rule of mine to ensure that kerbals have sufficient space to occupy themselves within for long trips.  Generally speaking, I have a sleep can (Hitchiker) for every 2-4 kerbals depending on flight time and, unless needed, no kerbals in the actual operations sections of the ship/station (such as command pods and labs etc).  It just "feels" better that way.  So, i can say now that this would actually compliment my gameplay style now that I fully grasp what it is doing. 

You are right of course that it is a bit confusing at the moment but I imagine that you are splitting your time quite a bit between Squad and your own personal projects so, its justifiable.  I would imagine that with your library of mods that have grown quite substantially since I was last around the forums with any frequency, that deactivated features of say, USI-LS, are activated upon the installation of other relevant mods, correct?  As I have said previously, I really do enjoy your enthusiasm for expanding the game mechanics in KSP.  I especially enjoy the way you try to keep things mostly stock-a-like.  I use to play with lots and lots of mods back in the day but, it got to the point where I spent more time managing the mods than playing the game proper.  I never did get much into doing file tweaks and, being a steam user, I've never been one to keep older versions for mod compatibility.  Nowadays I tend to stick to "utility mods" as I call them.  Quality of life improvements like various autopilot programs and Kerbal Engineer etc etc. 

Anyway, I am sure I have droned on long enough.  Thanks again for the responses both of you (Roverdude and goldenpsp).  I'll definitely be giving it a bash now. 

Maybe... One day.... I'll work up the nerve to dive into the MKS/OKS stuff.  For now, its a bit of a challenge just trying to figure out this fancy ISRU thingy-ma-jiggy and its accompanying doo-hicky-whatsits.  :D

Hello

I just updated the mod. Now my Mun space station shows a hab time of ~ -250 days... I thought I should have a look at my kerbals - but as soon as I load the space station it disintegrates in a thousand parts :-( 

I kind of like this feature, but my savegame was a little too unprepared for this. Now I´d like to turn it off, get my Kerbals back to Kerbin, turn it on again and then send my Kerbals back where they belong. So, the question is: how do I turn the hab-feature off? 

Thanks for the help

Edited by matko1990

1 hour ago, matko1990 said:

Hello

I just updated the mod. Now my Mun space station shows a hab time of ~ -250 days... I thought I should have a look at my kerbals - but as soon as I load the space station it disintegrates in a thousand parts :-( 

I kind of like this feature, but my savegame was a little too unprepared for this. Now I´d like to turn it off, get my Kerbals back to Kerbin, turn it on again and then send my Kerbals back where they belong. So, the question is: how do I turn the hab-feature off? 

Thanks for the help

Copy-pasted from another thread:

happened to me too, and its called a mutiny. Solution is 

1. Disable any punishments on home sickness in LS and MKS configs

2. Select thevessel

3.Put your kerbals in a lander, undock it

4. Fly around the planet, for good luck

5. Dock again Kerbal should feel give now

6. Re-enable punishments in configs

You can disable the hab feature, by setting NoHomeEffect and NoHomeEffect vets to 0 in *both* 
GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/LifeSupport/Settings.cfg and
GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Kolonization/USI-LS.cfg

@matko1990 Open Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\LifeSupport\Settings.cfg on a notepad. Change the desired features to your taste.
Everything is explained in the notepad itself, including what each value means. It should be pretty self-explanatory. :) I hope that helps.

Just updated ksp to 1.0.5 (finally!!), also updated to the newest version of USI LS, but I noticed and it was confirmed by reading here, that the supplies consumption got changed.

To be honest I need some help figuring out how the new consumption is calculated. Old version was peanuts to determine: nr of supplies / 1.08 (6h/daily consumption) / nr crew = days worth of supplies. For example: a module had 75 supplies and 1 crew, by the old system that gave 69 days of supplies.

Can anybody explain how to manually calculate the current supply consumption, with x nr of supplies?

Edited by Gkirmathal

7 minutes ago, Gkirmathal said:

Just updated ksp to 1.0.5 (finally!!), also updated to the newest version of USI LS, but I noticed and it was confirmed by reading here, that the supplies consumption got changed.

To be honest I need some help figuring out how the new consumption is calculated. Old version was peanuts to determine: nr of supplies / 1.08 (6h/daily consumption) / nr crew = days worth of supplies. For example: a module had 75 supplies and 1 crew, by the old system that gave 69 days of supplies.

Can anybody explain how to manually calculate the current supply consumption, with x nr of supplies?

A kerbal now eats 16.5 supplies per day by default.

9 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

A kerbal now eats 16.5 supplies per day by default.

<snip> scratch that for a second....brainfart moment.

Figured it out...had been staring too long at it and couldn't see the obvious: division by 60 minutes xD

Edited by Gkirmathal

Found a potential bug with the new LS.  I am currently running 0.3.7 USI-LS and just accomplished my first contract rescue mission of a kerbal in orbit.  Unfortunately, the moment I was in range of my target, and the new Kerbal was loaded he was already a tourist and couldn't leave his broken craft to join my rescue vessel to finish the contract.   Under previous versions there was delay before new Kerbal's became Tourist...I think that may have been lost in the recent updates.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?...if so I will log a github issue for it.

6 minutes ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

Found a potential bug with the new LS.  I am currently running 0.3.7 USI-LS and just accomplished my first contract rescue mission of a kerbal in orbit.  Unfortunately, the moment I was in range of my target, and the new Kerbal was loaded he was already a tourist and couldn't leave his broken craft to join my rescue vessel to finish the contract.   Under previous versions there was delay before new Kerbal's became Tourist...I think that may have been lost in the recent updates.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?...if so I will log a github issue for it.

Likely not a bug but rather a "feature"  A kerbal will become a tourist by default once their EVA timer runs out, which is only 6 hours.  So you gotta be really quick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.