[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Hello, very cool mod I certainly appreciate the simplicity! I got a problem, my Krebal's do not get any negative effects and go in strike when they time out of snacks. I have a question, what are all the other mod requirements for this mod to work? Yesterday I was trying for a while to get it to work with no success at all, then I happened to read in this topic that someone else had issues and were told to install Module Manager. Well, having a simple few very non-intrusive mods I did not have that.. so yeah. I think this information of required Module Manager should be added to the first page to save some other people time..

Anyway, I got MM 2.6.3, now the Kerbals happily eat up supplies and the pop-up now shows the time of supplies in all my ships, etc. But I run out of snacks the timer stops at all zeros and stays yellow, only once did it go a more red color and count into the negative, but I could always command the ship and Kerbals with no issue.

Considerations I made:

- Last version and also new version of the mod (0.1.2), tried yesterday and today.

- Always a white suit Kerbal, of course. No oranges.

- Fresh game save in KSP 1.0.2.

- Tried in both Sandbox mode and Career, didn't know if it mattered.

- Tried in both the landing pad and in orbit, didn't know if it mattered.

- Tried with starting some snacks on board or none at all.

- Tried with big white pod and small grey pod (default 1 and 3 seat rocket capsules).

- Definitely passing 15 days past empty, I would time accelerate into 100 days mission.

- Tried passing the timer running out both with time accelerate on and off, didn't know if it would effect the script.

- Removed all my other mods, which is like 5 that I can't imagine modifying any part of this mod (They got nothing to do with modifying resources, Kerbals, stock parts, etc).

I did not try:

- Turning the "causes death" setting to true, it didn't seem like that would be the stasis effect from the name of it.

Any ideas what I've done wrong? Is this mod not standalone?

Anyway, I got MM 2.6.3, now the Kerbals happily eat up supplies and the pop-up now shows the time of supplies in all my ships, etc. But I run out of snacks the timer stops at all zeros and stays yellow, only once did it go a more red color and count into the negative, but I could always command the ship and Kerbals with no issue.

Its supposed to be able to go after supplies run out, they will only go into strike after 15 days without any supplies.

If the case is that you're going after 15 days without supplies and still able to control the ship than something can be wrong.

And no, I don't think there's any requirements to the mod, except MM.

Uh huh, as I wrote in the post above I always test white-suits and could time accelerate hundreds of days past the supplies running out with no effect.

Do you have a probe core onboard? (Does this even matter?)

I'll look into repro'ing this.

Alright thanks. I'm stumpped because of how many potential issue sources I removed without solving it.

Do you have a probe core onboard? (Does this even matter?)

I did not, only the simplest of rockets were used to test it that I made on the spot to test. Additionally I would test the Kerbal's responsiveness by making them EVA and get back in, as I figured they wouldn't get out once they were on strike.

Great mod Roverdude. Works well.

For anyone else wanting to know the ins and outs of using greenhouses from an engineering point of view. I have done some calculations that I thought I would share.

What does a greenhouse do?

It turns 50% of mulch back into supplies for a small EC cost.

This has the effect of doubling the time it takes for a Kerbal to get through his supplies.

How many greenhouses do I need to take?

Each greenhouse can process the Mulch from just over one Kerbal.

So the first rule of thumb is take a greenhouse for every Kerbal.

When is it more efficient to take greenhouses over just more supplies?

Short answer here is any trip that will last seven years or more.

Long answer is a greenhouse weighs 1.6t.

1.6t of supplies is 1600 supplies, which is enough for 3y208d.

So if you take an extra 1600 supplies you get 6y416d.

If you took a greenhouse instead of the extra supplies you also get 6y416d (about seven years).

So this is the break even point. Any trips longer than this will be more mass efficient using greenhouses. Any shorter trips will be more mass efficient just taking extra supplies.

The above calculation is for one Kerbal and one greenhouse. But because a Kerbal requires his own greenhouse, and his own supplies, the break even point is the same.

So break it down by planet to make it easier for me:

Short answer: Take greenhouses to Jool (and moons) and Eeloo.

All other closer planets are more mass efficient taking extra supplies.

Long answer:

Jool typically takes seven years in travel time alone, there and back. Add in extra time visiting moons and waiting maybe up to a year worse case for a good return angle and greenhouses definitely pay off.

This assumes standard Hohmann transfers.

Dres full return trip you are looking at 3 and a half to 4 years. Greenhouses don't pay off here.

If anyone spots an error please let me know.

Finally, this is a guide for the mass and efficiency conscious. Greenhouses look cool, so please take them anywhere you want if you feel like it :), at least your Kerbals wont get space scurvy.

Edited by Remi

Just coming back to KSP from a long time away. Been picking the mods I want and *wow* did this one stand out. I was intimidated in the past by more hardcore life support, but wanted *some* consequences to derping. I feel like this is a great mix between the two, you can totally lose control of your starved kerbals, but have the ability to rescue them.

Also doesn't hurt that it integrates so well with the full USI suite.

Not for this one.

Show me the lifesupport folder as well please. Also can you describe precisely what's happening in your own words?

True but he had MKS installed as well. Sorry just being thorough, trying to help.

Sorry i didnt see the cut off.

uMBzULb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not for this one.

Show me the lifesupport folder as well please. Also can you describe precisely what's happening in your own words?

Give me a few min and ill post a vidoe of whats happening.

What exactly are you guys finding doesn't work?

I have it working pretty well.

The only thing I have noticed that might be confusing is the life support status does not take into account a working greenhouse. So you have the same reported time of supplies with and without the greenhouses being switched on.

I have found that the greenhouses do work, and the supplies run out at half the speed. So you can just double the number of days reported when you have a full compliment of greenhouses.

My folder structure is slightly different than slick50. Instead of "Tanks" the folder is called "Parts, and I also have one "CTT.cfg" file and a text document ChangeLog.

Ways in which my experience was different than the video above when trying to replicate the exact same thing:

- I did not see a message that the Kerbal had died (maybe slick50 has CausesDeath = true?).

- When I EVA while looking at the mod window both timers start counting down (the pod and the Kerbal), not just the pod as shown in the video (Although the Kerbal data briefly flashes in his).

- My Kerbal didn't eat his greens and jump to the North pole.

Otherwise than that it was the exact same. I could EVA and control as much as I liked with starved Kerbal. I also changed the mission time to MET to see I was well past 15 days, and used the reaction wheels to see I had control of the ship.

Others notes:

I have MM version 2.6.3, he has 2.6.2.

The only mod I have in common with him (other than this) is Stage Recovery, I did try once without it and seen no fix.

Edited by Nicole

I noticed that there is a new version available on your drop box rover, but it doesn't have an updated changelog, and I can't find an updated on on the wiki either. Did I somehow miss it in this thread, I've been lost scrolling through so much of this forum the last few weeks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.