FreeThinker

[1.7.2/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] Interstellar Fuel Switch (IFS) 3.8.5

Recommended Posts

First, thanks for a great mod, I realize only now how dependant I am on it. 

Secondly, my apologies in advance, I also realize I probably am making some noobish mistake since the mod seems to be working for everyone else. However, I still can't get any functionality at all. I reinstalled KSP (1.1 1203 prerelease now). Then I only install IFS and CRP into the fresh install, tried both 32 and 64-bit KSP. When I right-click tanks I only get the basic sliders for liquidfuel and oxidizer, nothing else. Anyone has any ideas what I'm doing wrong? 

Kind regards

ChGdGBT.png

Edited by DrGonzo94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2016 at 9:42 PM, Torih said:

Hi, I'm having an issue with 1.1 whenever I use any part which uses Interstellar fuel switch.

In the VAB the dv and mass values keep changing every second or two, also the COM sometimes moves around also, this was happening with a few different mods (mk 2 expansion, fuel tanks+ and Modular Rocket Systems). I've removed all mods apart from Interstellar Fuel Switch, module manager, kerb engineer and stock fuel switch and its still occurring.

This was with the latest 1.19 and CRP .49 (also tried the newer .50)

I'm having this issue as well. It only seems to crop up when I load my rocket with tanks that have the option to switch fuels (i.e. it doesn't happen with the orange toroidal tanks or the big Mk3 tanks), which makes me think that it's IFS. I only have the core installed, but the issue persists. 

Any ideas what to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2016 at 3:44 PM, DrGonzo94 said:

First, thanks for a great mod, I realize only now how dependant I am on it. 

Secondly, my apologies in advance, I also realize I probably am making some noobish mistake since the mod seems to be working for everyone else. However, I still can't get any functionality at all. I reinstalled KSP (1.1 1203 prerelease now). Then I only install IFS and CRP into the fresh install, tried both 32 and 64-bit KSP. When I right-click tanks I only get the basic sliders for liquidfuel and oxidizer, nothing else. Anyone has any ideas what I'm doing wrong? 

Kind regards

ChGdGBT.png

I also have this.

IFS + IFS Core, installed via CKAN.

64-bit pre-release of 1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With release 1209 something has changed that seemingly has broken anything using IFS as a base. Fuel Tanks Plus does not work and it gives me the same bugs as when I tried running it without IFS installed.

 

A lot of Z-fighting and no fuel in the tanks. No fuel can even be selected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Noticed KSP 1.1 has updated again, and it has probably broken IFS, I will upload an update as soon as possible

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1.20 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1

Released on 2016-04-16

  • Update to KSP 1.1.0.1209
  • Updated CRP to 0.5
Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.20 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1

Released on 2016-04-16

  • Update to KSP 1.1.0.1209
  • Updated CRP to 0.5

Thanks for the update, got the tweakables back now :)

However the issue with dv and mass that people have mentioned recently is still present, have you managed to take a look at that?

Just noticed something odd with it aswell, If I start a new sandbox game it doesn't happen, however starting a new career save (or an existing career save from 1203) it still occurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Torih said:

Thanks for the update, got the tweakables back now :)

However the issue with dv and mass that people have mentioned recently is still present, have you managed to take a look at that?

Just noticed something odd with it aswell, If I start a new sandbox game it doesn't happen, however starting a new career save (or an existing career save from 1203) it still occurs.

The last update is actually the fix for this problem, however, the solution has to be provided by both the information supplier (like IFS) and consumer tool, any Engineering tool that calculates the effective Delta V (like KER or MechJeb)

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

The last update is actually the fix for this problem, however, the solution has to be provided by both the information supplier (like IFS) and consumer, any Engineering mod that calculates the Delta V

Ah i see thanks for claifiying, assumed you'd not seen the posts tbh :P

Grabbed the dev build of mechjeb and its all fine, thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The last update is actually the fix for this problem, however, the solution has to be provided by both the information supplier (like IFS) and consumer tool, any Engineering tool that calculates the effective Delta V (like KER or MechJeb)

That is awesome! Thanks for the quick fix!

Sadly my game PC gave up the ghost today, so I can't confirm :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.20 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1

Released on 2016-04-16

  • Update to KSP 1.1.0.1209
  • Updated CRP to 0.5

I have these versions installed via CKAN, yet I somehow do not have the IFS functionality back. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed via CKAN

KSP 1.1.0.1215

CRP 0.5

IFS and IFS core 1.20

Modular Rocket Systems 1.12.5

And Non-CKAN Module Manager 2.6.21

Deleted the module cache before testing.

------

KSP's engineer report still shows a different mass between two 64s and a MRS-128, and the MRS 128 definitely still acts heavier based on a very scientific test of strapping on a big motor to see how high it goes. Kerbal Engineer Redux jumps between the high and low values.

Also - no fuel selector on stock Rockomax 64

Edited by PyroSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm noticing a weird interaction with IFS (using Fuel Tanks Plus) and Kerbal Engineer and I'm not certain which is causing the problem: The mass of the ship as calculated by KE is flickering as it is displayed.  The difference between the two values is exactly the empty mass of the IFS tank.  I'll also report this to the Kerbal Engineer devs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is most likely caused by the mass adjustment this mod does being implemented incorrectly.  I would check this but I can't seem to find the source linked anywhere obvious, the link in the OP goes to a repo that only has version 1.18.

The code in that version is definitely implementing IPartMassModifier incorrectly.  It is supposed to return the difference between the mass parameter passed in and what your module would like the mass to be.  This code is simply returning the new dry mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Padishar said:

This is most likely caused by the mass adjustment this mod does being implemented incorrectly.  I would check this but I can't seem to find the source linked anywhere obvious, the link in the OP goes to a repo that only has version 1.18.

The code in that version is definitely implementing IPartMassModifier incorrectly.  It is supposed to return the difference between the mass parameter passed in and what your module would like the mass to be.  This code is simply returning the new dry mass.

Alright, let's fix it. I updated the link to the source files so you can verify yourself. So if my calculated Dry Mass is 1 ton and I recieve 0.3t, I should return 0.7 or -0.7 ?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, let's fix it. I updated the link to the source files so you can verify yourself. So if my calculated Dry Mass is 1 ton and I recieve 0.3t, I should return 0.7t?

Basically, yes.  It represents the mass of just this PartModule.  Also, if you will never be changing the mass of the module during flight then you should return FIXED from the new ChangeWhen function.  If the mass only changes when the part is staged then you return STAGED.  If the mass changes in any other way during flight (dry mass, not by resources being consumed) then you return CONSTANTLY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Basically, yes.  It represents the mass of just this PartModule.  Also, if you will never be changing the mass of the module during flight then you should return FIXED from the new ChangeWhen function.  If the mass only changes when the part is staged then you return STAGED.  If the mass changes in any other way during flight (dry mass, not by resources being consumed) then you return CONSTANTLY.

Well for IFS, although the mass can only change while in the VAB, I returned CONSTANTLY , which I guess when implemented wrong will cause KER to act all weird. I will update a fixed version as soon as possible

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FreeThinker, thanks for updating so fast after the ksp update on steam. your an awesome guy thanks for the mod and your time !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Well for IFS, although the mass can only change while in the VAB, I returned CONSTANTLY , which I guess when implemented wrong will cause KER to act all weird. I will update a fixed version as soon as possible

KER (and other deltaV calculators) should only take notice of the STAGED value.  The FIXED and CONSTANTLY values are to enable some optimisations to be made in the stock code in the future.

Also, you should make sure that your code is not directly modifying the mass of the part (part.mass).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Also, you should make sure that your code is not directly modifying the mass of the part (part.mass).

Oh, why not?

13 minutes ago, Padishar said:

KER (and other deltaV calculators) should only take notice of the STAGED value.  The FIXED and CONSTANTLY values are to enable some optimisations to be made in the stock code in the future.

But I want KER to respond when I switch tank content, not only after vessel activates a stage.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Oh, why not?

Because the core game code constantly updates it to be the base mass plus all the adjustments for the partmodules.

33 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

But I want KER to respond when I switch tank content, not only after vessel activates a stage.

It will.  KER uses part.mass which (as mentioned above) is constantly updated to include the GetModuleMass changes.  In the STAGED case KER needs to be able to predict what GetModuleMass will be after the part is staged.  For FIXED it will never change so KER will just use the initial part.mass.  For CONSTANTLY, there is no way for KER to know how the mass should change during the simulation so, again, it will just use the initial part.mass.

Edited by Padishar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Because the core game code updates constantly updates it to be the base mass plus all the adjustments for the partmodules.

So KSP overrides any changes to part mass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

So KSP overrides any changes to part mass?

Yes, Part.FixedUpdate resets part.mass to the prefab mass plus all the modules' GetModuleMass values...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure off-hand when it was added, I think it was probably in 1.1 but it may have been in 1.0.5.  Originally, directly changing the part mass was the only way for a mod to do it.  Once IPartMassModifier was added it became a bit dodgy for mods to do this but they could still get away with it most of the time.  Now, in 1.1, you can't get away with it at all, various things will definitely go wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.