Sailin' against the Kraken

LockeCole

Hail, and well met, good sir.

It is quite the noble task to which you have endeavored. The tender mercies of space are like no other, yet the regions to which you have committed are stranger by far, and as yet, completely uncharted by man or kerbal. As it was written, 'ere be Kraken.'

You were wise to match your course to the mirror image of our fair island home. Since the diameters are essentially the same, you should return to your starting point in exactly one year, not coincidentally the same date which Kerbin should arrive there as well.

Should this journey prove to be successful, you and your crew will be heroes of note. Yet, always keep healthy fear of the beast known as Pride, which is more fearsome and real than any mythical creature, and has led many an adventurer to his doom. Having avoided the kraken is not the same as defeating it. Only the creators, Squad (what preserve us and provide us with booms) can accomplish such a feat as actually defeating the infamous kraken.

We will expectantly wait to see, in due time, with luck and the grace of Squad, your valiant crew streak through our skies to a glorious arrival of some condition.

Nice clean looking craft you\'ve got there!

I wound up achieving a low Kerbin orbit with that crazy launch vehicle and stabilized it above the atmosphere...

Sounds familiar...

I\'m currently in the design phase of a ship for kerbolar dives. I\'m fairly confident my current design can do it. The last one, with slightly less fuel, managed an apoapsis velocity of 1000m/s with a terrible ascent profile.

Building it, I started with the minimum ship that could make it to orbit (Pod, LFT-250 LFT-500 lander engine) and set out to build a stage around it that could launch it into orbit. Then, around that I put a further stage that could launch the entire inner two stages into orbit. This means that the entire thing should have a delta v of around 15-16km/s which should be enough for what I am trying to do.

I like your ship though, it seems much more streamlined then what I have :)

Screenshot follows of what my ship looks like in orbit before jetisoning any stages.

This ships a bastard to turn, but its suprisingly steady, and it is easily possible to maneurver without the ASAS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.