PSA - 1.01/1.02 Temperature Gauges/Overheating Display Causes Massive Memory Leak

Tarheel1999

I wish I'd seen this earlier.

Crashed during a 1:30 hour flight to the other side of Kerbin.

(Yes, I could have done a sub-orbital hop. No, I didn't. I gots planes, and I'm gonna use 'em! (Also, I suck at precision landings without a mod. Trajectories mod, please update?))

The peculiar thing is that so far I only seem to experience this on kerbin re-entry. I'm not experiencing it with the temperature bars turned on while flying a jet custom-designed to overheat, or a rocket designed to overheat, or dropping a plane through Eve's atmosphere (after hyperediting it into Eve orbit), or walking Kerbals around on Eve's surface with their temperature bars flashing, etc.

Obviously. None of this in dispute. I started this thread to bring this bug to the attention of both Squad and fellow players. But this bug does not "block an entire mode of gameplay." Rather it is a inconvenience and it prevents players from using a cool and helpful new feature (the gauges). The sky is not falling chicken little.
It's not an "inconvenience" if your game is crashing constantly and you have no idea why. I'd have rated this as more important to hotfix than the heatshield balancing. At least turn it off by default, even if they can't fix the memory leak without more work.

I have had 14 OOM crashes in two days. That's more then when I ran a heavy graphics modded install for most of the duration of 0.25.

My PC that is constantly OOM in Stock KSP 1.02.

I5 4690k 3.5ghz

R9 290 4GB

8GB 1600mhz DDR3

Win8.1x64

Edited by Fleb
Added specs for clarification.

I have been running KSP with the same potato since 2012 (i3-2330M 2.2GHz, Radeon HD 6470M 512MB, 6GB RAM) and outside the usual lags I get (since way before 1.0) I have not experienced a single crash since 1.0

I had some crashes and severe bugs in 0.90, but in 1.0 nothing.

Crashes ? Nope.

Lags ? Still can't handle more than 150 parts but nope.

Temp gauges memory leaks in 1.0.2 ? Nope.

Val glitching ? Nope.

Krakens of any kind ? Nope.

And this is with an almost vanilla install (only KER), so no patches outside official ones, and most graphics set to minimum.

So IMO Squad did their job: their game is running smoothly on a very basic config, at least for me.

And there's no need for everyone to just argue against each other: some people have bugs, some don't. Squad cannot be expected to make sure the game runs flawlessly on every single config possible, so just give them the time to fix things and everything will be fine.

Nobody does that. If you talk about the 'lol look how broken the game is (lulz hotdogz)', 'squad is ruining ksp' or 'hopefully far will redeem me from this bs' stuff, yeah, toxicity creates a counter reaction. I haven't seen a single reasonable bug report that got shot down.

So, if you claim tendency to do that, link some examples. Should be easy to find a common occurance on a public forum.

Yes its an bug, an bug on an hotfix, the bug will be fixed in 1.03, the gauges are very useful it also show stuff who would cause bug reports like how probe cores in the service bay tend to overheat.

No its not necessarily an bug just that the hex core is temperature sensitive. However having it blow up suddenly generates bug reports.

I like the temperature gauges being on by default, it's like having a warning light on the dashboard.

I haven't noticed any memory issues with them myself yet, but any potential issues should be investigated and fixed.

Some players have found a problem. It affects some more than others, and will be addressed, though not necessarily as soon as some would like. That's really all that needs to or can be said about this, so please, stop attacking and accusing each other over it.

Some players have found a problem. It affects some more than others, and will be addressed, though not necessarily as soon as some would like. That's really all that needs to or can be said about this, so please, stop attacking and accusing each other over it.

I think it scales with part numbers and if you use engines who overheat, had no problems until i started using large LV-N powered ships.

Found it essential to return to spaceport after using them, not starting to jump between bases and similar.

However the heat display is essential, else it would make no sense why my probe blew up

I like the temperature gauges being on by default, it's like having a warning light on the dashboard.

I would really like to to be a setting... or at least - remember what I set it on during the last flight.

I haven't noticed any memory issues with them myself yet, but any potential issues should be investigated and fixed.

Me either, but I didn't build anything with hundreds of parts after v.1.0... and I have a lot of memory, so even if there is a leak - it'd take a while to manifest for me.

Me either, but I didn't build anything with hundreds of parts after v.1.0... and I have a lot of memory, so even if there is a leak - it'd take a while to manifest for me.

I left KSP running over night, sitting in the VAB with a low part count ship up, and when I got up in the morning, there was a popup saying that I needed to close KSP because it was using too much memory. Not the normal CTD, but a hint that something was wrong none the less.

My game with mods need 2.x GB RAM in 0.9, but it's 3.4+GB now. So any reentry will crash my game, that's really frustrating since I don't want to remove any of my mods (they are mostly gameplay enhancer with very few texture loaded, except the clouds)

I left KSP running over night, sitting in the VAB with a low part count ship up, and when I got up in the morning, there was a popup saying that I needed to close KSP because it was using too much memory. Not the normal CTD, but a hint that something was wrong none the less.

Crap SQUAD fix you game for god sake!!! I remember there was one Squad cast were you said that you fixed a lot of bugs including this stupid memory leak.

So how it is possible that I am reading a lot of memory leak issues on the forum since 1.0 is out. Even this guys is giving you the proof that it is still not fixed.

Do something pls. If it is Unity issue than escalete the Unity devs. Just do something.

I think I am not the only one if I say that I am loosing my interest in this game bcs of this stupid memory leak...

Crap SQUAD fix you game for god sake!!! I remember there was one Squad cast were you said that you fixed a lot of bugs including this stupid memory leak.

Note that memory leaks aren't a single bug, but a CLASS of bugs. Every feature and system has the potential of leaking memory (assuming it allocates any to begin with of course). The temperature gauges are new, and thus unrelated to previous memory leak bugs, and thus Squad couldn't pre-fix them in 1.0.

That being said, I'd like to know how they end up with so many leaks to begin with. :/

While re-entering my Mun lander with several exposed parts (landing legs and lights) my memory spiked from 2.2Gb to 3.7Gb and then KSP crashed. This was with a stock install. I tested it several times and it crashed every time. When I jettisoned the lower part of the lander (with exposed parts) I only gained about 200Mb of memory during re-entry. The problem appears to occur when you have multiple parts overheating.

UPDATE - Using F10 to disable the temperature gauges minimizes/eliminates the memory leak.

Support thread post on same issue: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118658-New-Heat-System-causes-memory-leak

OMG Thanks, I was coming from far and made a very nice and slow aerobreak which kept me in the atmosphere slowing down for hours... except that the game kept crashing, and crashing and crashing. And then I noticed it was caused by memory.

And it's definitely a memory leak: it doesn't get deallocated until you close the game, I tried loading a Scenario, but I was still at 3.5 GB of RAM on KSP (which crashes around 3.8).

Now at least I know a workaround, but must definitely be fixed

P.S.

I actually solved my issue (before noticing this thread) by speeding up physics: the game was skipping physical step (1/4 of steps) so was allocating 1/4 of the stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Longer aerobreaks (when your ship is on fire) = more memoryleaks

Edited by Fire-Dragon-DoL

Note that memory leaks aren't a single bug, but a CLASS of bugs. Every feature and system has the potential of leaking memory (assuming it allocates any to begin with of course). The temperature gauges are new, and thus unrelated to previous memory leak bugs, and thus Squad couldn't pre-fix them in 1.0.

That being said, I'd like to know how they end up with so many leaks to begin with. :/

Well but what Eric S tried is the same I have / had in 0.90. So this memory leak in VAB doing nothing is the same. I had it too. Was just sitting with some low part ship and doing nothing. And memory was rising. This was in 0.90. And we can clearly see from Eric S post that it is still in 1.0.2 too :(

So sorry but it looks to me like they did not fix it after all. And now there is even more memory leak with those gauges.

FYI - Disabling edge highlighting (PPFX) in the main menu mostly eliminates this issue. Obviously you will lose some functionality (possibly some of the part highlighting in the editor).

Maybe that's why some people with low end PC's earlier in the thread were saying they haven't been affected, they already turned that off? I am gonna try this, thanks.

Edited by Fleb

Maybe that why some people with low end PC's earlier in the thread were saying they haven't been affected, they already turned that off? I am gonna try this thanks.

Could be. I run KSP on a 4 year old MacBook Pro and haven't noticed any memory leaks with the current version. I do have edge highlighting disabled (the default for this computer). Of course, I'm also not very far along in my Career save and don't have a lot of mods installed currently.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that when I had the heat data enabled in the context menu (via the F12 debug menu) that the game would crash when my SSTO would reenter (I was losing parts due to heat). When I did not enable the toolbar heat data I was able to make the entire trip successfully without crash (and after adding a couple of air brakes, without torching my engines and wings). :)

My game has crashed twice in a row once when I was in Duna orbit, no heat gauges or overheating whatsoever. It has crashed maybe one or two times EVER in the past (and I have a crappy laptop) and all of the suddenly it keeps crashing let and right. This is what happens when you give the release date a month in advance

hello

I installed the temperature gauge killer mod because of this thread.

Then I played for some days, looking at the RAM consumption with Graphic memory monitor.

Conclusion: honestly, I still have strong memory leakages, and still I am not able to play more than 6-7 launches before going to 3700MB RAM. From this I can say that the temperature gauges are not the main culprits for the memory leaks in the game. I didn't even noticed this gauge memory leakage before reading this thread.

but thank you for the info!

If the temperature gauge killer mod doesn't solve the problem well enough for you, turn off the "PPFX edge highlighting" option in your settings. Apparently that's where this specific memory leak comes from.

That being said, there's probably other memory leaks in KSP that are either known about or haven't even been found yet. Even then there's probably a few memory leaks in Unity or PhysX that can't even be solved by Squad.

I would bet that almost all complex programs have memory leaks, unless they were intentionally built to avoid them, and debugged to make sure. In other words, a complex program probably has a memory leak unless it's specifically avoided.

Edited by SciMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.