[1.0.4] Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies

8bitsblu

... I just realized that I made it use the wrong resource. I'm editing the .cfg file while beating myself with a rock. G.O.H.N.A.D.S. now uses oxidizer.
Health reminder: beating yourself with a rock might result in skin rashes or loss of modding capacity.

Yes, you can reach solar (or kerbolar?) escape velocity. Not just talking about Kerbin here. I think that kicks in roughly around 6km/s. SSTO to Jool is definitely a possibility with the right launch profile. Eve isn't out of the question either. Duna atmosphere probably isn't going to cut it for an aerobraking maneuver...:)

Aside from 2 or 3 planes I've also tinkered with a small 2 stage design that just uses LFO to accelerate up to speed and then a Mk 1-2 Pod with a 2.5m (tweakscale) precooler and a ramjet. All inside of a fairing for my convenience of course.

I don't think the engines are 'overpowered' per say. I think it would be better to say that the heat models are to forgiving. You don't even need new cooling parts. Just use precoolers for your Liquid Fuel/Intake. Don't even use the normal 'nose-cone intakes'. If you must, use the new one. It has the highest heat tolerance.

If you are having problems with explosions, you're simply flying to low. You won't get engine cutoff from intake air until 40km+ **with the scramjet**. That might be a bit overpowered. I've been having a blast just going for speed records.. Anyone interested in a challenge? Fastest to KSC-2? I managed 12m20s including takeoff and landing on my first and only try. Its a lot of fun to play with. The scramjet(s) that is.

Yes, you can reach solar (or kerbolar?) escape velocity. Not just talking about Kerbin here. I think that kicks in roughly around 6km/s. SSTO to Jool is definitely a possibility with the right launch profile. Eve isn't out of the question either. Duna atmosphere probably isn't going to cut it for an aerobraking maneuver...:)

Aside from 2 or 3 planes I've also tinkered with a small 2 stage design that just uses LFO to accelerate up to speed and then a Mk 1-2 Pod with a 2.5m (tweakscale) precooler and a ramjet. All inside of a fairing for my convenience of course.

I don't think the engines are 'overpowered' per say. I think it would be better to say that the heat models are to forgiving. You don't even need new cooling parts. Just use precoolers for your Liquid Fuel/Intake. Don't even use the normal 'nose-cone intakes'. If you must, use the new one. It has the highest heat tolerance.

If you are having problems with explosions, you're simply flying to low. You won't get engine cutoff from intake air until 40km+ **with the scramjet**. That might be a bit overpowered. I've been having a blast just going for speed records.. Anyone interested in a challenge? Fastest to KSC-2? I managed 12m20s including takeoff and landing on my first and only try. Its a lot of fun to play with. The scramjet(s) that is.

SCRamjets play best when combined with Jets and NTRs so that the only fuel load is LF, and then only use them to to push your apoapsis to target, then coast and circularize.

You should need less than 100m/s dv if you do it right.

If you put too much power into your trajectory with your SCRamjet, your OMS won't be able to help you, and you'll have wasted about 1.5 Krakens worth of dv

SCRamjets play best when combined with Jets and NTRs so that the only fuel load is LF, and then only use them to to push your apoapsis to target, then coast and circularize.

You should need less than 100m/s dv if you do it right.

If you put too much power into your trajectory with your SCRamjet, your OMS won't be able to help you, and you'll have wasted about 1.5 Krakens worth of dv

We are talking about direct transfers to other stellar bodies right? Like Kerbin -> Jool without making orbit in Kerbin. I haven't actually done it in practice, I just know it would be relatively simple enough to do since you can kick a plane out of the Kerbol system with a single scramjet. So, are you saying that if you do the maneuver perfectly that you could enter say Duna with a low enough orbital velocity to circularize on say 500m/s? I do have a jet with 700m/s dV once all the liquid fuel for the jets are burned up. The main reason I haven't given it a shot was because I assumed orbital velocity would be to high to circularize without giving it a second thought.

We are talking about direct transfers to other stellar bodies right? Like Kerbin -> Jool without making orbit in Kerbin. I haven't actually done it in practice, I just know it would be relatively simple enough to do since you can kick a plane out of the Kerbol system with a single scramjet. So, are you saying that if you do the maneuver perfectly that you could enter say Duna with a low enough orbital velocity to circularize on say 500m/s? I do have a jet with 700m/s dV once all the liquid fuel for the jets are burned up. The main reason I haven't given it a shot was because I assumed orbital velocity would be to high to circularize without giving it a second thought.

Lulz, no, I wouldn't try that unless I had my atmospheric SCRAM burn timed with a transfer window, but it would be the ultimate Oberth machine.

Absent said transfer window, it is a waste of fuel to burn up past 2.5km/s with the SCRamjet, simply due to the amount of dv needed for orbital correction afterwards.

That being said, an atmospheric ejection into a transit trajectory is entirely feasible, I doubt Jeb would refuse to volunteer.

Edited by Nothalogh

Just a heads-up guys: the next update is gonna use the firespitter plugin. The new stock config format is nice but it isn't malleable enough for what I wanna do with it. Firespitter makes it 10,000 times easier.

Okay so I just added a new engine for you all to play with! It's sort of the polar opposite of the previous two engines. It's an electric turbofan engine. While you can't break the sound barrier with it, you won't need any fuel to power it. Try it out and tell me what you think :D

Lulz, no, I wouldn't try that unless I had my atmospheric SCRAM burn timed with a transfer window, but it would be the ultimate Oberth machine.

Absent said transfer window, it is a waste of fuel to burn up past 2.5km/s with the SCRamjet, simply due to the amount of dv needed for orbital correction afterwards.

That being said, an atmospheric ejection into a transit trajectory is entirely feasible, I doubt Jeb would refuse to volunteer.

I suppose it all depends what your aiming for. For LKO I agree too much on the scramsjets and your wasting orbital delta V.

Will have a go at getting an intercept with jool tonight, I'm sure I will find some volunteers...

Okay so I just added a new engine for you all to play with! It's sort of the polar opposite of the previous two engines. It's an electric turbofan engine. While you can't break the sound barrier with it, you won't need any fuel to power it. Try it out and tell me what you think :D

Can't wait to check this out! I'll report back later on tonight when I've had some time to play with it.

Oh well obviously I'm not using these planes for Kerbin Orbit :cool:. I have much more practical SSTO(s)/mini-lifters if I wanted to do a crew transfer or something.

When I was previously talking about speeds earlier, I'm just sharing my experience. Experience flying for the purpose of speed. Not to reach some arbitrary destination :sticktongue: I've got over 1300 hours in Kerbal. I can do orbits, I just don't have experience setting up planetary transfers while I'm still at 40km above Kerbin ha!

Speed running to KSC-2 and simply flying to set new speed records has been the most fun I've had in KSP for several updates. Most of my inspiration for applications of this engine come from this tube video that someone shared on these forums last year. I wish I could give credit but I just don't remember who shared it. It's in my tube favorites and I like to watch it from time to time when I feel like making something really fast :cool:

Try it out and tell me what you think :D
He asked for it your honor :huh:.

I have few issues with electric turbojet:

- its power/drain ratio is too low, i had ~7000 of electric charge in batteries and it barely lasted about 5 minutes.

- there is a bug with vehicle assembly, sometimes engines do not show on staging list and i am unable to assign em to action groups. (that one gets fixed by exiting/going back to hangar or launching/reverting).

- during assembly there is "RPM" slider that defaults to 150 and goes all the way to 1000, but with 1000 set engines only go to 150 during flight.

- i WAS going to complain about no battery part go go along with that engine but i see you have it planned :).

PS. Sorry bout my bad english, im working nights now and i'm in complete zombie mode :sealed:.

Edited by Goro san

He asked for it your honor :huh:.

I have few issues with electric turbojet:

- its power/drain ratio is too low, i had ~7000 of electric charge in batteries and it barely lasted about 5 minutes.

- there is a bug with vehicle assembly, sometimes engines do not show on staging list and i am unable to assign em to action groups. (that one gets fixed by exiting/going back to hangar or launching/reverting).

- during assembly there is "RPM" slider that defaults to 150 and goes all the way to 1000, but with 1000 set engines only go to 150 during flight.

- i WAS going to complain about no battery part go go along with that engine but i see you have it planned :).

PS. Sorry bout my bad english, im working nights now and i'm in complete zombie mode :sealed:.

-I'm working on the power/drain ratio right now. It'll be fixed in the next update.

-Unfortunately I think that might be a problem with Firespitter's plugin, which I can't really do much about. Sorry :(

-I can't remove the RPM slider, but it now really does go up to 1000. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

-Battery Part will have around 10,000 charge and will be around the same size as the standard jet fuselage. It'll probably be in the next update.

I originally planned on making the part this way, however due to how rusty I was with texturing I decided to simply work off of the test textures that I made. I might make stockalike textures when I'm feeling a bit more confident in my abilities. For now I'm going to try and develop my own aesthetic. I'm planning a third engine currently (not a scramjet) and I might do stockalike once I finish that one.

TurboRamjet Engines just like on the SR-71turboramjet.jpg

Switch from Turbjet Mode to Ramjet Mode just like the Rapier from Atmosphere to Rocket mode... sr71_11.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.