Sopwith Pup. The Camel's Little Brother

After several redesigns, test flights (both failed and successful), and the repeated pressing of the F9 key, I finally have it! The Sopwith Pup has been deemed worthy of public consumption!

AYd5JSI.png

I don't expect some people to know about the Pup, so in short, it was the predecessor to the infamous Sopwith Camel, the most successful Allied fighter plane of World War I. The Pup and the camel were largely similar, except the Camel had two machine guns, while the Pup was armed with only one. The Camels's engine would range anywhere from 100HP to 150HP, depending on the type, while the Pup featured an 80HP Le Rhone engine. The Pup helped turn the tide of the air war in favor of the Allies, and gave British pilots a valuable edge over Germany's Albatross and Fokker Eindecker fighters.

MhiwMRx.png

My Pup is powered by two OMS engines at 86% maximum thrust, and seats a single Kerbal in its cockpit. It's airspeed is typically 20 to 30 meters per second.

kRU0Gqz.png

A closer view of the cockpit and engines. The fuel tank is below the pilot's seat.

cLy8VZw.png

The Vickers machine gun I am especially proud of. Although it does not actually fire, it's one of the best parts of the craft.

Here's the download link: http://kerbalx.com/crafts/2167

Some notes to remember:

This does not boast a tricycle undercarriage, so be careful on takeoff and landing. It will normally take off without any input from you.

It is still a little jittery, and is easy to stall when flying at such a low speed.

It's fuel supply will only last you two minutes, maximum. Lower the throttle when flying in the air, cut it for landing.

Thanks for viewing, leave rep and a comment if you enjoyed! I would love to improve this plane, so if you have an idea that would make it better, please tell me!

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Typo correction, fixed link

You are aware that the link leads to nothing that we can do, right? Remove the /edit.

Not quite sure what the problem was, but I removed the /edit in the link. Hopefully it will work this time.

I've started to work on the Pup MkII, which will have an LFO engine system instead of monopropellant. The only problem is that the fuel tanks are buried deep inside the craft, and it will be difficult to replace them. I may simply test the performance of my planned upgrades by building a new plane. Besides, The Pup needs a German plane for it to fly against...

Which would you guys rather have, a German plane (It will probably be a Fokker Eindecker), or an upgraded Pup?

Give us a link to the Camel! :D

Well, I haven't built a Camel yet, and I'm not sure if I will, as the Pup and Camel are very similar. I may build a few more aircraft to make a sort of WWI Planes pack if people want it. There are plenty of other aircraft that look and function differently enough from the Pup that I would be willing to build them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-tXbLrLiMFmkqOXIlCC1SZAu4xiCqEqGI_oqhuaReh3JBjnsQDQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNyuBiH2CqeZtgnTgv6YFhF0K0EIu_GiAt-5q5QNh7b9AQnPY7FQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGYPjhV152Q_Db2WbzTuOYGEd93NllzpGulX9ljqvf6_0ea5h-Bristol-Fighter.jpg

• 4 months later...

Wow, really cool replica! :D Have some rep!

Gotta say, amongst all the people saying the best bit is the Vicker's gun, my favourite part here is the radial engine. Using seismometers for cylinders inside an air intake and the tiny nose cone... Ye gads! It's pure perfection! :sticktongue:

Awesome stuff, I'd love to see more WWI planes in this style.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.