"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

y5deG65.png

qFqkapX.png

QLpT1Af.png

ETA: I didn't notice until doing this comic that each crew member's "webcam" view includes any other crew visible behind them! You can see Bill and Lisa in the background of Val's and Jeb's shots. This is a really cool detail... and a continuity headache for me, for example if I want to use a shot where Jeb has the perfect reaction face, but we can see Lisa behind him and she's not in the cockpit for that scene.

And yes, of course I pasted in the fourth portrait for this image. If I knew of a mod that let me display all the occupants of a Mk3 cockpit at once, believe me I'd use it :)

Edited by Kuzzter

I must say, so far, this is AweSome!:cool: Btw, good luck with the continuation!

Thanks! Here's a couple more:

wVZCXlD.png

USqcnOl.png

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see, did I spot a few Airplane references in there?

"Looks like I picked the wrong mission to stop drinking fuel"

- Bill Kerman

"Kobra? What's that?"

- Valentina Kerman

"It's a snake that lives in the jungle biomes of Kerbin, but that's not important right now."

- Lisa Kerman

I look forward to the continuing adventures of Bill, Jeb, Val, and Lisa. Keep up the good work!

Didn't see this comment before, sorry--but there is one more in there you missed! (it's a Leslie Nielsen line)

At some point Shirley Kerman will have to make a cameo appearance :)

Edited by Kuzzter

It takes quite a bit of creativity to make an old cynic actually laugh out loud. I laughed and laughed.

That was magnificent!

As inspirational as a white star, as cute as a beagle...

At some point Shirley Kerman will have to make a cameo appearance :)

Shirley, you jest! :D

Happy landings!

As inspirational as a white star, as cute as a beagle...

Glad you liked, thanks! I had indeed considered Beagle but didn't think I could work it in-universe (not even via my sometimes-avatar Bill)

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently your crew left imagination on Kerbin :D

That's not a stock part :)

And methinks you're on a roll about British aircraft carriers.

And I can't find the last reference! ARGGGH!

Will Jeb have a flashback? We're counting on him to fly this plane. It's a totally different type of flying.

Is Lisa going to start puking eggs?

Anyways, it's a good thing Gene doesn't know how much Jeb hates his guts.

well, that narrows it down a bit.

Only three/ four to choose from!

- - - Updated - - -

I found it!

Is it "Good luck Jeb. We're all counting on you."??

Similar to "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."

Yeah.

I didn't know what I should make of it.

So I made a hat, a pterodactyl, and some fuel. :P

Leon's getting LARRRRGER!

- - - Updated - - -

You should put more references in this comic. I like them!

You should put more references in this comic. I like them!

Oh, guaranteed! I have to keep it interesting; there's three more biomes to visit, and I'm not going to get any +rep for 11 consecutive pages of ore mining/STOL shots. :)

I'll get back to you on the Rep thing.

You guys are the best, thanks :) Two more pages!

wzhMHIZ.png

AjWATcP.png

So yeah, the drill reduced load overnight but never completely shut down. Panels were sometimes blocked by parts of the ship, and yes even once by Ike which is tidally locked to a different part of Duna. So I think that maybe Duna's solar "collision mesh" does not go below a certain altitude--the panels were definitely offline overnight in the Highlands.

Edited by Kuzzter

I had to look that last reference up. Still got a good chuckle out of it.

See, we're not just funny--we're educational! Hey, if you haven't found tvtropes.org yet it's an excellent time-waster. Here's their article on that subject.

And while you're waiting for my next update you can find lots of articles about the Hummlebee's crew! Here's one for Bill, and one for Lisa ... I suppose Jeb's is obvious; Val is on that page also, and has this one all to herself.

Edited by Kuzzter

Also, if you want to break the fourth wall, read Pearls Before Swine.

You mean I should have Bill jump out of the frame and beat my S with a broken strut? No, thanks!

ETA: Which would be categorically impossible, even for Bill, given my thoughts on Kerbals and violence.

- - - Updated - - -

The zzz part. :D

I didn't want Bill ruining the moment for Jeb. If only that worked IRL!

Edited by Kuzzter

rMPj82Q.png

YivmaeG.png

Things will be busy for me IRL over the next couple of days but stay tuned, we should have all the biomes covered and be heading off Duna sometime this weekend. I'm realizing just now, as I watch the fuel deplete on these little suborbital hops, that I have never actually confirmed the Hummlebee can SSTO from Duna, much less make it home from LDO! According to the delta-v maps we should have enough left for a transfer, or a stop on Ike to refuel, but it's never actually been tested. I guess we'll all find out together!

ETA: The thread has passed 10,000 views! Whoo! That puts us in elite company with the likes of Geschosskopf and Lajoswinkler! Could we dream of someday having "Long-Term Laythe" levels of fame?

Edited by Kuzzter

"ETA: The thread has passed 10,000 views! Whoo! That puts us in elite company with the likes of Geschosskopf and Lajoswinkler! Could we dream of someday having "Long-Term Laythe" levels of fame?"

Depends :) Are you planning to take this story further from Kerbin? :D

Depends :) Are you planning to take this story further from Kerbin? :D

Certainly, though that will be a new "book". I am next planning to go closer to Kerbin, with a story featuring much or all of this crew plus a certain other famous kerbonaut. I've already laid out the setup and built some ships, you can expect a teaser before this story finishes. Following that... well, who knows?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.