"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

Hope they didn't overshoot the LZ too much
I admit, they did just a bit--but I like where they ended up, it brings an interesting possibility for the next leg of the journey :)
Congratulations :) BadS = true :D
This one took two of 'em!
Why have I not found this earlier? :D
Glad you did, welcome! Edited by Kuzzter

Kuzzter, this thread is beyond awesome. I've tried to rep every single post but naturally it doesn't let me. I've loved not just the humor, layout, story, and sheer fun of the thread but also the aethetic look of the ships.

That's a VTOL system… :confused: As I was reading "VTOL system activate", I tought there would be an engine on the belly of the Hummlebee. Turns out, there are a crapload of RCS thrusters on the belly. Also, congrats for landing this beast!

Kuzzter, this thread is beyond awesome. I've tried to rep every single post but naturally it doesn't let me. I've loved not just the humor, layout, story, and sheer fun of the thread but also the aethetic look of the ships.

I really appreciate that, thanks! Hey, if you're that moved to give me another +rep but need to "spread it around" first, I recommend heading over to the 'Gameplay Questions' section. There are a lot of experienced players there patiently helping n00bs, and in my experience only about 2% of those n00bs will ever think to click a +1.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, if there's any chance we could participate in this . . . in terms of anything, really :D Story, crafts, ideas, I am just swirling over the amazingness of you :D
:D Love that you're getting so deep into this, thanks. I love it when the readers comment, speculate and I think I can even handle some "backseat driving"--the readers' involvement in the story really keeps me going.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work!

I was scared for a second with the bounce.

You surprised me too!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a VTOL system… :confused: As I was reading "VTOL system activate", I tought there would be an engine on the belly of the Hummlebee. Turns out, there are a crapload of RCS thrusters on the belly. Also, congrats for landing this beast!

Thanks guys--I do love the vernor engine! If it ever stops being massless I might be in trouble.

Will probably be a bit of a delay putting pictures together for the Surface Ops section as I have a lot going on IRL this weekend. Here's a glamour shot to tide you over:

lMKlpct.png

L-R: LT Bill Kerman, MAJ Jebediah Kerman, LCDR Valentina Kerman, ENZ Lisa Kerman

That's so cool! All of them look really happy. I'm also having a lot of stuff going on in my current career, am planning to send a space station into orbit tomorrow or so.

By the way, how loud was the YEEES!!! scream of the KSC guys?

That's so cool! All of them look really happy. I'm also having a lot of stuff going on in my current career, am planning to send a space station into orbit tomorrow or so.

By the way, how loud was the YEEES!!! scream of the KSC guys?

I picture their reactions being along these lines:

JPL-Celebration-at-Mars-Landing.gif

Heheh, Lisa's got the perfect expression for that caption ;) I look forward to seeing Humblebee flying around on Duna. It's actually fun to fly there now, instead of being just bloody hard work.
It's not bad at all! Looking forward to posting the next sections with some pics. But I just realized that even if you were still running the Flying Duna challenge, the Hummlebee would likely not qualify--I do need that VTOL system to land safely, and the challenge rules clearly state that the only source of lift must be aerodynamic. :(

It's not bad at all! Looking forward to posting the next sections with some pics. But I just realized that even if you were still running the Flying Duna challenge, the Hummlebee would likely not qualify--I do need that VTOL system to land safely, and the challenge rules clearly state that the only source of lift must be aerodynamic. :(
'

Oh no, the Humblebee would have qualified under the old challenge. There was no requirement to make a running landing: parachutes, VTOLs, helicopters, whatever, were all welcome, as long as they could maintain aerodynamic flight within the other parameters. None of the parameters were that hard individually; the trick was meeting all the parameters at once. But those were the bad old days, gone and best forgotten. I'm glad things have changed on Duna now because that really opens up gameplay, as you're demonstrating.

Let's see, did I spot a few Airplane references in there?

"Looks like I picked the wrong mission to stop drinking fuel"

- Bill Kerman

"Kobra? What's that?"

- Valentina Kerman

"It's a snake that lives in the jungle biomes of Kerbin, but that's not important right now."

- Lisa Kerman

I look forward to the continuing adventures of Bill, Jeb, Val, and Lisa. Keep up the good work!

dat expression do...
That last frame is exquisite. :)
Glad you all liked it! One of the best things about this game is the kerbals' in-game reactions. Sometimes they're so natural you'd swear the little guys are actually thinking, and it really does make the game more immersive and fun.

Here's a couple more pages--I'm sure you're as impatient as Jeb to see the Hummlebee fly again, it'll be soon I promise!

J6TSAVr.png

8AzHQj4.png

This is just plain awesome. I must say I enjoy this heavily. Any chance that you'll make a PDF out of it?

Thanks! Sure, I could make a pdf, I'll do that once I've had a chance to revise some sections to the 'definitive' edition. Might be a good way to package the complete book.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.