[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Ok so looking at KIS code, I see that it will automatically add the inventory part module at runtime, but only if crew capacity > 0. That means I have to write some code for Pathfinder that will add the ModuleKISInventory even when the part is deflated. No more clown cars that way..

public class USIAnimation : PartModule, IPartCostModifier
    {
        [KSPField] 
        public int CrewCapacity = 0;

//....///

private bool CheckDeployConditions()
        {
            if(inflatable)
            { 
                if (inflatedMultiplier > 0)
                    ExpandResourceCapacity();
                if (CrewCapacity > 0)
                    part.CrewCapacity = CrewCapacity;
                foreach (var m in part.FindModulesImplementing<ModuleResourceConverter>())
                {
                    m.EnableModule();
                }
                MonoUtilities.RefreshContextWindows(part);
            }
            return true;
        }

//...//

I am in no way a decent modder but can't you do something like the above module of usi and have a hidden crewcapicty in your partmodule.
And every time it inflates or deflates update the crew capacity.
And i believe but arent sure but doesn't ModuleKISInventory  get added by a modulemanger patch.
So by that logic if on being loaded into the VAB it gets locked to to the DEFLATE state its crew capacity should revert to 0.

p.s I only glanced at your githhub files (and bobpalmers) so I have no idea how your inflating your parts. and I am just guessing a solution without full knowledge 

p.p.s I am embarrassed to not be able to find the WBIMultiConverter  referred to in  public class WBIMultipurposeHab : WBIMultiConverter

Edited by mellester

22 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok so looking at KIS code, I see that it will automatically add the inventory part module at runtime, but only if crew capacity > 0. That means I have to write some code for Pathfinder that will add the ModuleKISInventory even when the part is deflated. No more clown cars that way..

I thought runtime ment a module mager patch. But found the KISAddonConfig.cs you where referring to I understand the problem now a bit better. 
My knowledge of the partloader class and its prefab methods is absent so take my following words with a grain of salt . 
by adding your own  [KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.SpaceCentre, true)]   public void Awake() that does the same as KISAddonConfig.cs but referring to your own hidden crewcapitcy like this.KISaddonConfig lines I am referring to

foreach (AvailablePart avPart in PartLoader.LoadedPartsList)
	//..//
	if (avPart.partPrefab.WBIMultipurposeHab.inflatedCrewCapacity < 1) continue;
    //..//
                for (int i = 0; i < avPart.WBIMultipurposeHab.inflatedCrewCapacity; i++)
                {
				//..//
				}

Edited by mellester

Thanks. :) That's actually pretty close. Realistically, there would be no inventory until the module is inflated, but I might make an exception for the sake of ensuring that KIS works properly. Maybe when the part is inflated, the max inventory size increases to the default size set for individual kerbals. I do something similar for the KIS storage template.

Isn't it possible to Enable a module with 

module.EnableModule();

So when you inflate the module enable the kis inventory. And with deflate disable.
not sure if this method exist or what happens if there is inventory.

p.s Like I said before I am not able to find the lines of code you're using to start inflating and deflating stuff because well inexperience.
Where do you define  WBIModuleSwitcher

Edited by mellester

3 hours ago, mellester said:

Isn't it possible to Enable a module with 

module.EnableModule();

So when you inflate the module enable the kis inventory. And with deflate disable.
not sure if this method exist or what happens if there is inventory.

p.s Like I said before I am not able to find the lines of code you're using to start inflating and deflating stuff because well inexperience.
Where do you define  WBIModuleSwitcher

Not sure, it depends upon how KIS works. I can give that a try, but it'll take some research to do. I'm not likely to get that done within the next update, so it'll likely be 1.1 when I can address it. Thanks for the research though. :)

hey would it be possible for this mod to have support for UKS modules and etc? although this mod is great, it doesent have the complexity and such that UKS has, like the modules required for life support and etc. do you think it would be easy to figure out some way to have support between the 2 mods, im not sure how, maybe it can just be having versions of the UKS parts like the aeroponics and etc. that use the hacienda or science lab or whichever model of pathfinder inflatable module, but with the part modules and resource converters of UKS. your thoughts?

8 hours ago, 123nick said:

hey would it be possible for this mod to have support for UKS modules and etc? although this mod is great, it doesent have the complexity and such that UKS has, like the modules required for life support and etc. do you think it would be easy to figure out some way to have support between the 2 mods, im not sure how, maybe it can just be having versions of the UKS parts like the aeroponics and etc. that use the hacienda or science lab or whichever model of pathfinder inflatable module, but with the part modules and resource converters of UKS. your thoughts?

I have no plans to support UKS. There are incompatibilities between the two mods; for instance, the efficiency parts don't really fit on Pathfinder's modules. But in Pathfinder, research done in the Geology Lab leads to efficiency improvements. Another example is deployment. Pathfinder is centered around "space camping" where modules are flat-packed for easy transport, but you need to haul a bunch of RocketParts to outfit them (which may change to Machinery in 1.1 since that is now available in CRP). The in-game lore is that you assemble the tents, put all the stuff inside through big seams (handled off-camera), then seal the seams up and pressurize the module. By contrast, part of UKS' challenge is landing large and bulky modules. A third difference is in the hydroponics. UKS produces Supplies over time, while in Pathfinder, it takes time to grow crops, and they can fail. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one mod is better than the other. I'm just pointing out that there are key design differences that don't lend well to integrating the two.

So my thought is that if you want to use UKS functionality and complexity, you should be using UKS. You could certainly create your own templates for UKS modules- that's what Pathfinder's predecessor, Multipurpose Colony Modules, originally did to save catalog space- but I'm not interested in supporting or maintaining UKS templates at this time.

Pathfinder does support USI-LS, and there is some overlap in terms of life support (I will have a life support update this weekend with support for the latest USI-LS). For example, here are the release notes for the updated support for USI-LS that is coming in next release:

USI-LS
- Overhauled the converters and support for USI-LS to reflect the latest version. See MM_USI-LS.cfg for details. Thanks for the tips on how to configure things, RoverDude! :)
- Modules now have a lifespan and will wear out over time if USI-LS is installed.
- The Pigpen converters now benefit from Scientists, not Engineers.
- The Pigpen Composter now creates Fertilizer (you need ElectricCharge and Mulch).
- The Pigpen can create Dirt (you need ElectricCharge, Organics, Minerals, and Fertilizer).
- The Prairie greenhouse now uses ElectricCharge, Water and Fertilizer, and requires Dirt.
- The Ponderosa habitat template has a life support recycler that supports up to 6 kerbals.
- The Watney lab can produce Organics (you need Ore, Water, Minerals, and ElectricCharge). Go organic chemistry! :)

Just set up a base on Minmus, and I was starting to recycle some of the parts from the cargo lander that brought the base parts to the surface... However, the recycler menu is very difficult to use, as all the icons are stacked atop each other.

Also, Bob Kerman refuses to board the base. He stays on the ladder, but a phantom Kerbal takes his place. :confused:

On 1/30/2016 at 1:45 PM, Angel-125 said:

I have no plans to support UKS. There are incompatibilities between the two mods; for instance, the efficiency parts don't really fit on Pathfinder's modules. But in Pathfinder, research done in the Geology Lab leads to efficiency improvements. Another example is deployment. Pathfinder is centered around "space camping" where modules are flat-packed for easy transport, but you need to haul a bunch of RocketParts to outfit them (which may change to Machinery in 1.1 since that is now available in CRP). The in-game lore is that you assemble the tents, put all the stuff inside through big seams (handled off-camera), then seal the seams up and pressurize the module. By contrast, part of UKS' challenge is landing large and bulky modules. A third difference is in the hydroponics. UKS produces Supplies over time, while in Pathfinder, it takes time to grow crops, and they can fail. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one mod is better than the other. I'm just pointing out that there are key design differences that don't lend well to integrating the two.

So my thought is that if you want to use UKS functionality and complexity, you should be using UKS. You could certainly create your own templates for UKS modules- that's what Pathfinder's predecessor, Multipurpose Colony Modules, originally did to save catalog space- but I'm not interested in supporting or maintaining UKS templates at this time.

Pathfinder does support USI-LS, and there is some overlap in terms of life support (I will have a life support update this weekend with support for the latest USI-LS). For example, here are the release notes for the updated support for USI-LS that is coming in next release:

USI-LS
- Overhauled the converters and support for USI-LS to reflect the latest version. See MM_USI-LS.cfg for details. Thanks for the tips on how to configure things, RoverDude! :)
- Modules now have a lifespan and will wear out over time if USI-LS is installed.
- The Pigpen Composter now creates Fertilizer (you need ElectricCharge and Mulch).
- The Pigpen can create Dirt (you need ElectricCharge, Organics, Minerals, and Fertilizer).
- The Prairie greenhouse now uses ElectricCharge, Water and Fertilizer, and requires Dirt.
- The Ponderosa habitat template has a life support recycler that supports up to 6 kerbals.
- The Watney lab can produce Organics (you need Ore, Water, Minerals, and ElectricCharge). Go organic chemistry! :)

oh, well ok, its just that MKS has a complex production chain, and this mod afaik doesent have the complex production chain, so you might be able to bypass parts of the production chain, in a cheaty- sort of way. also, shouldnt the prairie greenhouse also need mulch, too?

2 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Just set up a base on Minmus, and I was starting to recycle some of the parts from the cargo lander that brought the base parts to the surface... However, the recycler menu is very difficult to use, as all the icons are stacked atop each other.

Also, Bob Kerman refuses to board the base. He stays on the ladder, but a phantom Kerbal takes his place. :confused:

That sounds like an issue with OSE Workshop, please be sure to install the latest version.

1 hour ago, 123nick said:

oh, well ok, its just that MKS has a complex production chain, and this mod afaik doesent have the complex production chain, so you might be able to bypass parts of the production chain, in a cheaty- sort of way. also, shouldnt the prairie greenhouse also need mulch, too?

The way I set things up, you should have multiple avenues to provide the resources you need. When it comes to Extraplanetary Launchpads, I use the production chain it's designed for, which is currently MetalOre->Metal->RocketParts. That's what EL's players are already familiar with. Similarly, I use the existing production chain for OSE Workshop, which is Ore->MaterialKits and Dirt->ExoticMinerals/RareMetals. As for the greenhouse, you don't use mulch directly. Instead you use fertilizer (which is created via mulch) and of course nutrient-rich dirt. That's similar to real-world gardening. :)

Just now, Angel-125 said:

That sounds like an issue with OSE Workshop, please be sure to install the latest version.

The way I set things up, you should have multiple avenues to provide the resources you need. When it comes to Extraplanetary Launchpads, I use the production chain it's designed for, which is currently MetalOre->Metal->RocketParts. That's what EL's players are already familiar with. Similarly, I use the existing production chain for OSE Workshop, which is Ore->MaterialKits and Dirt->ExoticMinerals/RareMetals. As for the greenhouse, you don't use mulch directly. Instead you use fertilizer (which is created via mulch) and of course nutrient-rich dirt. That's similar to real-world gardening. :)

fertilizer created via mulch? but in the most recent USI greenhouse you have mulch+fertilizer=supplies, which then turn into mulch. , so you get fertilizer from mulch, wouldnt one be able too have infinite, or atleast alot, of supplies?

8 minutes ago, 123nick said:

fertilizer created via mulch? but in the most recent USI greenhouse you have mulch+fertilizer=supplies, which then turn into mulch. , so you get fertilizer from mulch, wouldnt one be able too have infinite, or atleast alot, of supplies?

Recycling Human Waste

The mulch resource is a polite euphemism for what is really going on.

Just now, Nightside said:

Recycling Human Waste

The mulch resource is a polite euphemism for what is really going on.

ok, so i.......guess it works then? i mean, aslong as you dont have infinite supplies, then im ok with it.

0.9.8 Life, don't talk to me about life.

Get the latest here.

This update overhauls the various module manager patches for Snacks, TAC-LS, and USI-LS. This overhaul takes advantage of new resources available in the Community Resource Pack, and as a result, the converter inputs and outputs for the Prairie and Pigpen make more sense now.

Snacks
- The Pigpen composter now benefits from Scientists, not Engineers.
- The Pigpen Composter now creates Fertilizer (you need ElectricCharge, Organics, Minerals, and Dirt).
- The Pigpen can create Dirt (you need ElectricCharge, Ore, Minerals, and Fertilizer).
- The Prairie greenhouse now consumes ElectricCharge, Water and Fertilizer, and requires Dirt.
- The Watney lab can produce Organics (you need Ore, Water, and ElectricCharge). Go organic chemistry! :)
- Removed the Watney's Snack Grinder.

TAC-LS
- The Pigpen Composter now creates Fertilizer (you need ElectricCharge, Water, Waste, and Minerals).
- The Pigpen can create Dirt (you need ElectricCharge, Ore, Minerals, and Fertilizer).
- The Prairie greenhouse now consumes ElectricCharge, Water and Fertilizer, and requires Dirt.

USI-LS

Templates
- Added Dirt template.
- Added Fertilizer template.

Sunburn Lab
- Added the ability to make Glykerol (you need ElectricCharge, ExoticMinerals, RareMetals, and Coolant) if Deep Freeze is installed.

Old Faithful
- The Old Faithful now has the ability to toggle open cycle cooling. With open cycle cooling, it can shed even more heat at the cost of expending water.

Other
- Moved Module Manager patches to the Pathfinder/ModuleManagerPatches folder. There's a lot of them now...
- Added support for Connected Living Spaces to the Buffalo. Thanks for the assist, Technologicat! :)

Bug Fixes
- The Watney Rainmaker converters will now dump excess ElectricCharge instead of getting stuck.
- Fixed Remote Tech issues with the TERRAIN. Thanks for the investigation and fix, Vaga! :)

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Aaand now the base vanished. Crap.

I need logs to help. :)

So I was hoping to use the stockyard to recycle my existing research ship and rebuild it with fewer, bigger pieces. But I can't figure out how to actually recycle things. I turned the recycler on, flew a test probe into it, and nothing happened. I bumped into the very back, at the mount point, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

Does the recycle feature have conflicts with UKS/OKS?

In regards to the Remote Tech and TERRAIN issue, I am still having the same problem with it. I can "perform orbital survey" but it immediately sends data then the option goes away until I switch to something else and back, and all I have left is a "Review Data" option. I'm not sure what logs specifically would be needed or other info, admittedly I do run quite a few mods so maybe it is something else causing the problem, but it does seem to be the same one described as being caused by RT.

Edited by saidin

On 2/6/2016 at 0:09 PM, CajunInABox said:

Yeah, I have 5.2.94 installed (latest version according to ckan)

I don't run with UKS/MKS. Try installing just Pathfinder and EPL, and see if you still have issues.

13 hours ago, saidin said:

In regards to the Remote Tech and TERRAIN issue, I am still having the same problem with it. I can "perform orbital survey" but it immediately sends data then the option goes away until I switch to something else and back, and all I have left is a "Review Data" option. I'm not sure what logs specifically would be needed or other info, admittedly I do run quite a few mods so maybe it is something else causing the problem, but it does seem to be the same one described as being caused by RT.

It might be that RT is incompatible with the TERRAIN. I don't use RT, and am waiting for KSP 1.1 to make sure that the TERRAIN works with the stock antenna system.

I noticed in the last update you said it fixed a issue with RT and the TERRAIN, was that a different issue? I couldn't find anything recently regarding a fix in the topic, assuming it was the same issue. so I was wondering what vaga's fix was that you mentioned?

10 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

The drill modifications screen can't be closed. It also looks likes it corrupts the UI on Camcom. As always this may be a local error or a real bug. Can anybody confirm that it works or is broken please? 

same, there is no close button for the modify drill screen, I have to change scene to get rid of it.

52 minutes ago, saidin said:

same, there is no close button for the modify drill screen, I have to change scene to get rid of it.

Thanks for checking. I always assume errors are just on my install but anyone else is seeing this it must be a bug. It seems that going into that option on the drill breaks the UI. 

However even now I am still not sure as MKS in the install and that is not compatible. So I don't know if that is causing the issue. @saidin do you have MKS in play ?

Edited by nobodyhasthis2