[1.2.1] TRP-Hire (formerly KSI Hiring)

TheReadPanda

What a mod! Dude, you rock! Love the current and the planned features. Yeah, there should be experienced kerbals with stars on Kerbin, who will act as teachers to teach newbies before you can give them their own stars.

Okay I like this mod a lot but I am very confused, with stupidity it lowers the cost but isn't the higher that stat better for mods like Rover dudes? I took two kerbals one with a very low stat (the higher cost low stupid amount) and a high stat (lower cost high stupid) and the productivity was better with higher stupidity. Can someone help clear this up, I don't want to spend a ton of funds on the incorrect option and have low productivity.

In theory and in practice from what I can tell, stupidity is 'bad', so the higher it is the less efficient your kerbals should be. Be sure that you aren't comparing pilots and engineers at the same time. I know MKS/OKS gives a massive multiplier boost to Engineers over Pilots for example, a big enough boost that it would overcome any difference in stupidity I believe.

I shall double check the source code on MKS/OKS and EPL tonight to make sure I have this right. If not I shall correct the mod ASAP.

Also hope to make a few other changes in the next day or two as streaming time allows. In particular I want to fix the VAB/SPH access bug (right now it goes to the old complex if you enter from there).

I also really really want to get it so that the star rating of the available kerbals of that career type cap the level for that career (at -1) so that having a level 2 pilot would cap your new pilots to level 1 while the pilot trainer was there for them.

Other things that have been mentioned is the ability to sort the active roster. I'm looking into that but as I mentioned before that would require changing another core part of the complex. I may do it yet but it is lower priority.

Please note that as for names I have carefully set it so that if you remove my mod your kerbal careers will not change. The names match the career types, which is how KSP tests for some kerbal's career.

-OakTree42

http://www.twitch.tv/oaktree42/

Right now the kerbal name is tied to the career so there is no way to let the player 'choose' the name. I'll see if I can think of something here though. What about a system where you hit a button and it pulls up three kerbals with stats /near/ what you requested? So you can pick from say three (each name shown along with stats). So you don't get the exact stats you want but you get a range of things near your desired stats?

I can also see the fearless trait being random again, not just a yes/no but I do think that you should be able to see it if it will effect some mods... as it does in some efficiency math.

Sounds perfectly fine to me. I knew the name was tied to the career, so some preview of the name would be more than sufficient. 3 to pick from would be awesome.

That system sounds great with the near but not exact stats . Fearless being seen is fine too, just seems weird being able to set it (yeah I can edit it in the save but...).

I am uploading a fix to the SPH/VAB access now. It will be on Kerbal Stuff and GitHub in the hour, and will be listed as version 0.1.2.

I have been told I am being silly about appearances as they all actually look the same other than the big four.... is this something anyone can verify? If true I can stop trying to figure out what the ToD and UTaR relation to the kerbals is.

Also if anyone knows what that field is storing? I'd love to know...

Next upgrade I'm looking at to this is the cost increase based on MIA/KIA kerbals of each career type. I have the core code in place already.

After that it is the level limitation tied to kerbal at the complex on planet combined with the level of the complex itself...

So have more to do but wanted to release this fix to the Space Plane hanger and VAB access to the facility as soon as I could.

-OakTree42

Note to self: Don't try to update version files with very little sleep. Should be okay now but I had to set the version to 0.1.3 to make Kerbal Stuff happy I guess. Should be good now I hope.

Edited by OakTree42

In theory and in practice from what I can tell, stupidity is 'bad', so the higher it is the less efficient your kerbals should be. Be sure that you aren't comparing pilots and engineers at the same time. I know MKS/OKS gives a massive multiplier boost to Engineers over Pilots for example, a big enough boost that it would overcome any difference in stupidity I believe.

-OakTree42

Some quotes from the github tutorial:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Efficiency-and-Load

Each kerbal has an experience level from 0 to 5 (number of stars next to them) and a profession which carries a multiplier of 1.5 for engineers, 1.0 for scientists, 0.5 for pilots. Tourists provide no value. Career factor is ½ their level times the value of their profession, with a minimum value of 0.05 given to level 0 pilots.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Tutorial_04

Finally, include two Kerbals with very low stupidity values (this affects efficiency), and get all of this stuff to your colony site. You will very likely need multiple launches, as these can be bulky components.

This means that the profession of the Kerbals has an impact ratio on the module efficiency of 3:2:1 as for engineers:scientists:pilots. On the other hand there seems to be an impact of the Kerbals intelligence on the efficiency but the amount isn´t clear. If someone could find a statement about how much the Kerbal´s intelligence might affect module efficiency it would be very much appreciated.

Howerver there is also an impact of the intelligence on EL productivity:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/FAQ

MKS/OKS currently does not utilize the Courage or Stupidity ratings, however EL does factor Stupidity and Skill in the Productivity and Vessel Productivity calculations. Hire any Scientists and Engineers with Stupidity < .25 you see in the Astronaut Complex. For best Productivity, place the Engineers and Scientists in Mk3 Modules.

Note that some of the information might be outdated/deprecate as the tutorials and the mod itself are still WIP ;)

Some quotes from the github tutorial:

This means that the profession of the Kerbals has an impact ratio on the module efficiency of 3:2:1 as for engineers:scientists:pilots. On the other hand there seems to be an impact of the Kerbals intelligence on the efficiency but the amount isn´t clear. If someone could find a statement about how much the Kerbal´s intelligence might affect module efficiency it would be very much appreciated.

Howerver there is also an impact of the intelligence on EL productivity:

Note that some of the information might be outdated/deprecate as the tutorials and the mod itself are still WIP ;)

So for MKS/OKS the current math from the source file seems to be as follows:

Kerbalfactor = kerbal experience level / 2

If this is less than 0.1 then make it 0.1 (Zero level kerbals are worth 0.1, not 0)

Robo, or no kerbals, are worth 0, no using MKS/OKS without kerbals.

If it is an engineer then take that value and x 1.5

If it is a scientist then take that value and x 1.0

And if it is a pilot then take that value and x 0.5.

This results in:

Level 0 pilot = 0.05

Level 0 scientist = .1

Level 0 engineer = .15

Up to:

Level 5 Pilot = 1.25

Level 5 Scientist = 2.5

Level 5 Engineer = 3.25

Now there is also a happiness value and a workspace value.

As RoverDude's well commented file indicates this is a function of:

- Workspaces

- 25% of crew cap (People are happy with more space?)

- ACtive MKS Module count

- Crew in actual module

- All kerbals in crew total

- Efficiency parts

Note that as far as I can tell there is NO call to stupidity/Courage or BadS traits in MKS/OKS at this time. I was mistaken on that. Only EPL seems to call those at the moment.

Apparently I did not include the CKan Ref file some how... my bad. I will add it in the next update, which hopefully will be in the next day or two.

I /did/ fix an AVC issue and I have also fixed the VAB/SPH issue.

Additionally now if you have MIA or KIA kerbals it raises the cost but only of kerbals in that career. After all why should you pay more for a scientist just cause all of your pilots seem to some how go missing??

The default math is:

Each MIA raises cost of that career by 5%.

Each KIA raises cost of that career by 10%.

Additionally I have been told that there really is no way to modify appearances? Not without adding another mod to the mix. So... I guess we're done on that trail for the moment.

I hope to look into adding a 'creative' mode that allows 0 to 5 and free cost at an option for even career mode.

I also am looking into adding a 'cattle call' kind of mode where you set some basic parameters, pay a fee and a list of applicants that sort of match your request show up and you can either pay a new fee to make new kerbals show up or you can hire any of the kerbals that do show.

That second bit will take some doing. So don't look for that right away.

Apparently I did not include the CKan Ref file some how... my bad. I will add it in the next update, which hopefully will be in the next day or two.

I /did/ fix an AVC issue and I have also fixed the VAB/SPH issue.

Additionally now if you have MIA or KIA kerbals it raises the cost but only of kerbals in that career. After all why should you pay more for a scientist just cause all of your pilots seem to some how go missing??

The default math is:

Each MIA raises cost of that career by 5%.

Each KIA raises cost of that career by 10%.

Additionally I have been told that there really is no way to modify appearances? Not without adding another mod to the mix. So... I guess we're done on that trail for the moment.

I hope to look into adding a 'creative' mode that allows 0 to 5 and free cost at an option for even career mode.

I also am looking into adding a 'cattle call' kind of mode where you set some basic parameters, pay a fee and a list of applicants that sort of match your request show up and you can either pay a new fee to make new kerbals show up or you can hire any of the kerbals that do show.

That second bit will take some doing. So don't look for that right away.

The cattle call will be a nice feature, I'm very picky about the Kerbal names. I even dotn't accept rescue contracts if that Kerbal's name doesn't sound good enough.

@OakTree42: Texture Replacer is the best way to alter kerbal appearances and many of us use it already. TR can handle the appearances of kerbals for you just like it does for stock, no need to duplicate shaw's efforts. Shaw even has a menu so you can go in and change the texture of heads and suits in-game if you want.

@OakTree42: Texture Replacer is the best way to alter kerbal appearances and many of us use it already. TR can handle the appearances of kerbals for you just like it does for stock, no need to duplicate shaw's efforts. Shaw even has a menu so you can go in and change the texture of heads and suits in-game if you want.

Yes, it seems default doesn't have/need me to do anything. So if folks want to include this, they should feel free. But I am not embedding any hooks to it in my core code at the moment.

This is a cool mod! Great work, Oak. I also cannot thank you enough for open-sourcing this. Your mod helped me get started on my own and showed me the necessary techniques -- without it, I don't think I could have made it nearly as far as I have now. Like, seriously, I'm also working on revamping the Astronaut Complex (working on a different area than you, don't worry), and I'm forever grateful for the foundation you've laid. Thank you. :)

This is a cool mod! Great work, Oak. I also cannot thank you enough for open-sourcing this. Your mod helped me get started on my own and showed me the necessary techniques -- without it, I don't think I could have made it nearly as far as I have now. Like, seriously, I'm also working on revamping the Astronaut Complex (working on a different area than you, don't worry), and I'm forever grateful for the foundation you've laid. Thank you. :)

I got some great help from other modders and while I did not use their code I also found great insight into how the code worked by looking at many other coder's work. However a LOT of what I found out was by much trial and error as I could not find much documentation about some areas of this kind of mod. Simply put this is an area that has been under-utilized when it comes to modding.

So I am REALLY happy to hear that my code has helped in any way and I am absolutely of a mind that anything you see in my code, if it helps? Go for it! Now if you copy/paste large sections of my code as my license says, please credit me, but other than that? Go for it! Please let me know what kind of mod you are making and when it comes out. I have had requests to improve the 'sorting' ability of the actually hired kerbals. And I know several mod makers have talked about making other types of kerbals or changing the kerbal skills system around....

So what kind of mod are /you/ making?? :D

Inquiring minds want to know! Also for anyone else out there? You might find insight into how to change other areas of the various complex scenes in my code or insight in how kerbals are created if you need that as well. :D

I'm actually working on sorting! I've got a proof-of-concept now that will sort the list of available kerbals by name first, then profession. Buttons will be next, but I've got the framework now. I'll be uploading my work to GitHub here pretty soon and starting a WIP thread on the Add-On Development subforum. As soon as I can figure out how the hell to get my work up on GitHub I'll update this post with a link!

I've made a proof of concept! You can find my thread here.

Edited by JonDahm

"Fearless," aka the "Badass" trait, is merely cosmetic in stock, and is not shown to players. Notice how Jeb is never scared? That's because he has the Badass trait.

The official trait in the code is BadS I believe but yes, 'badass' however as I try to keep everything I do 'family friendly' I used 'fearless'. I would rather use 'brains' than stupidity but I stuck with stock on that.

Basically in the hidden trait it means they seem to get more excited when things are shake-y or scary or high 'risk' as the computer determines it. And yes, both Val and Jeb have this trait by default. It is roughly 10% likely to have it on new kerbals in stock.

So ran into my first really 'big bug' today. Val died on impact due to too few chutes and too little thrust in the waters of Kerbin. Now she should have shown up as MIA but not only did she not show up as MIA but... suddenly the tool bar was showing up in the astronaut complex, and I was getting out of range errors. Now I did death tests with non-big four kerbals in my testing phase without issue. So now I have to isolate this problem. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone using this mod that there may be an issue here that could break your save. I was able to 'undo' the damage by modifying the persistant save file and changing her status from 'dead' to Available for now, but will try to isolate the problem and fix it in a hopefully soon to come update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.