[1.2.1] TRP-Hire (formerly KSI Hiring)

TheReadPanda

So ran into my first really 'big bug' today. Val died on impact due to too few chutes and too little thrust in the waters of Kerbin. Now she should have shown up as MIA but not only did she not show up as MIA but... suddenly the tool bar was showing up in the astronaut complex, and I was getting out of range errors. Now I did death tests with non-big four kerbals in my testing phase without issue. So now I have to isolate this problem. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone using this mod that there may be an issue here that could break your save. I was able to 'undo' the damage by modifying the persistent save file and changing her status from 'dead' to Available for now, but will try to isolate the problem and fix it in a hopefully soon to come update.

After poking this with a sharp stick repeatedly, the issue was NOT that Val had died. The issue revolved around a 'cloned' kerbal on my minmus base that was causing an exception error when it tried to complete the 'roster' section of the astronaut complex.

This clone issue /appears/ to be related to either KIS or some other mod I have in that when a kerbal tries to re-enter a pod it has them reenter but leaves a copy outside. This copy can cause huge errors in the system. That is what just happened. Typically I do not seem to have it happen unless the kerbal was part of a KIS/KAS function. I will be checking to see how that relates but with the 'cloned' kerbal removed everything else returned to normal pretty much instantly in my game, and I was unable to replicate the problem any other way. So for now I am attributing it to that, which while it does effect my mod seems like it would effect anyone's saved game if they had a cloned kerbal in this particular situation.

Edit:

Since KIS/KAS are not part of the AVC I was unaware there was an update on May 31st. It appears this update /should/ take care of this issue, at least that is what the support thread here indicates:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124315-Kerbals-cloning-themselves-when-entering-capsule

In any case I have updated both KAS and KIS and will see if this resolves the issue going forward. Just wanted to update folks on the situation.

Edited by OakTree42
Adding info about duplicates

• 3 weeks later...

While this mod works with 1.0.4 (been tested by several people using several configurations) I do have an update in the works. One of the things it should do is allow you to click on a 'random' option for each sub-field and for career or the things like fearless/courage/stupidity alter the costs or rather give a discount for letting it be random.

This is in progress and as I am streaming quite a bit on twitch I'm scrambling to find the time. But I /am/ working on it. :D So you nailed something I am already working on. But still! Very good idea! :D

While this mod works with 1.0.4 (been tested by several people using several configurations) I do have an update in the works. One of the things it should do is allow you to click on a 'random' option for each sub-field and for career or the things like fearless/courage/stupidity alter the costs or rather give a discount for letting it be random.

This is in progress and as I am streaming quite a bit on twitch I'm scrambling to find the time. But I /am/ working on it. :D So you nailed something I am already working on. But still! Very good idea! :D

joshwoo69 also approves this mod for 1.0.4 ;)

(get cracking on the feature requests on github! :P )

EDIT : remove female and male selection. make them alternating instead like men then hire female (i have too many male kerbals!! :sticktongue:)

Edited by Joshwoo69

While you're working on that, can you check out my pull request? It fixes a compatibility issue with my mod. In the stock AC, the OnKerbalHire event is fired when you hire a kerbal. My pull request adds some lines that fire that event when you're done creating a new kerbal for hire.

• 4 weeks later...

I have updated the mod! Changed the front page! Also special thanks to Jon Dahm for helping clean up my rather messy code in a couple of places. Thanks Jon! Still working on the male/female thing and a few other bits. Sorry, been busy with real life + streaming!!! Hard to be a full time twitch streamer, deal with real life, and code all at the same time I found out! But I will try do do better!

One thing is needed is to allow added kerbals saved from orbit to the roster, they do not show up anymore.

Edit: Also when a new game is created Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val are gone.

Edited by Eskandare

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to see the core vanish... can you replicate this? Is it possible there is something about a mod? Also I have rescued kerbals and had them show up, once I got them back to the KSC, so again, can you confirm this? I'm trying to track any of this down and have yet to be able to replicate any of it.... so some kind of alt-F2 message or something that might help me replicated it would be greatly appreciated! :D And thanks for reporting!

OakTree, Thanks for your work on this mod. I really like being able to control the stats of my potential applicants. I'm having an issue with version 0.1.6.0 of the mod where the cost shown in the Astronaut Complex is wrong when compared to the actual cost charged for the purchase of a Kerbal. I'm using KSP 1.0.4 64-Bit on Linux. I am seeing this issue on an isolated installation of the vanilla game with KSI being the only mod installed.

I tested this with a fully upgraded astronaut complex and 1M funds.

Purchase 1 - L2 Male Scientist with 50 courage and 0 stupidity. Cost listed in placement services window was 97,500. Actual cost was 177,000.

Purchase 2 - L2 Female Scientist with 50 courage and 0 stupidity. Cost listed in placement services window was 97,500. Actual cost was 191,300.

Purchase 3 - L2 Male Engineer with 50 courage and 0 stupidity. Cost listed in placement services window was 97,500. Actual cost was 205,900.

I'm not sure which number is supposed to be correct, but there's a mismatch somewhere. Imagine my surprise when I went from 300k in funds to 35k, heh.

The proper amount should not go up, so I will look at this ASAP. In fact right now. I'll try to see if I can A: Replicated this and B: Figure out what is causing it (even if I can't personally replicated it!)

Thanks for the heads up here. I am still trying to replicate the core 3/4 vanishing in a new game.

Edit: Was DEFINITELY able to replicate this bug. I am trouble shooting now.

OakTree, Thanks for your work on this mod. I really like being able to control the stats of my potential applicants. I'm having an issue with version 0.1.6.0 of the mod where the cost shown in the Astronaut Complex is wrong when compared to the actual cost charged for the purchase of a Kerbal. I'm using KSP 1.0.4 64-Bit on Linux. I am seeing this issue on an isolated installation of the vanilla game with KSI being the only mod installed.

I tested this with a fully upgraded astronaut complex and 1M funds.

Purchase 1 - L2 Male Scientist with 50 courage and 0 stupidity. Cost listed in placement services window was 97,500. Actual cost was 177,000.

Purchase 2 - L2 Female Scientist with 50 courage and 0 stupidity. Cost listed in placement services window was 97,500. Actual cost was 191,300.

Purchase 3 - L2 Male Engineer with 50 courage and 0 stupidity. Cost listed in placement services window was 97,500. Actual cost was 205,900.

I'm not sure which number is supposed to be correct, but there's a mismatch somewhere. Imagine my surprise when I went from 300k in funds to 35k, heh.

Final Update tonight:

Okay, not entirely sure of the cause of this bug as the deduct funds command is using the exact same call for the funds as the display funds cost command, but I have a hunch that there is another thing going on here in the fire for the method for the adding of a new kerbal, either that or my math to take into account the total number of MIA/KIA kerbals is to blame. Either way I will dig into this fully tomorrow and with luck have a patched version up tomorrow night. Thank you for posting this bug.

I still can not replicate the vanishing starter 4 bug, nor the 'they don't show up after rescue' bug. Has anyone else had these?

Edit: Mod updated to version 0.1.7 - Bug in cost in career mode has been fixed, tested and confirmed fixed.

Found the cause, was a call to the onHire game event, which was charging my cost + the normal cost in a stock game. Had to comment that out.

Note: This may hurt some compatibility with the roster sorter mod. I will try to sort that out later but wanted to fix the costs ASAP as that was about 90% of the purpose of this mod.

Edited by OakTree42

The proper amount should not go up, so I will look at this ASAP. In fact right now. I'll try to see if I can A: Replicated this and B: Figure out what is causing it (even if I can't personally replicated it!)

Thanks for the heads up here. I am still trying to replicate the core 3/4 vanishing in a new game.

Edit: Was DEFINITELY able to replicate this bug. I am trouble shooting now.

Final Update tonight:

Okay, not entirely sure of the cause of this bug as the deduct funds command is using the exact same call for the funds as the display funds cost command, but I have a hunch that there is another thing going on here in the fire for the method for the adding of a new kerbal, either that or my math to take into account the total number of MIA/KIA kerbals is to blame. Either way I will dig into this fully tomorrow and with luck have a patched version up tomorrow night. Thank you for posting this bug.

I still can not replicate the vanishing starter 4 bug, nor the 'they don't show up after rescue' bug. Has anyone else had these?

Edit: Mod updated to version 0.1.7 - Bug in cost in career mode has been fixed, tested and confirmed fixed.

Found the cause, was a call to the onHire game event, which was charging my cost + the normal cost in a stock game. Had to comment that out.

Note: This may hurt some compatibility with the roster sorter mod. I will try to sort that out later but wanted to fix the costs ASAP as that was about 90% of the purpose of this mod.

Confirmed as fixed. Thanks for the quick turn around!

• 1 month later...

I just tried to use this, and though it is there when I go into the astronaught complex, when I leave it, the window on the left stays on screen, and I can't do anything but try to hire more, and when I do it forces me back into the complex, and, well, it basically makes me unable to do anything but hire kerbals no matter what until I force close the game.

I just tried to use this, and though it is there when I go into the astronaught complex, when I leave it, the window on the left stays on screen, and I can't do anything but try to hire more, and when I do it forces me back into the complex, and, well, it basically makes me unable to do anything but hire kerbals no matter what until I force close the game.

Same problem here.

I am however, playing with a wall of mods the size of a filing cabinet. In particular a few mods that might need looking into since they interact with Kerbonauts in some way.

- Kerbal Konstruction Time (Has ship fill and auto hire options in its alternate control boxes.)

- Extraplanetary Launchpads (It makes ships. Ships need crew, so even though I haven't used this, I'll mention it's plugged in.)

- Kerbal Konstructs (Puts ships in new places if desired, may interact with something.)

The nature of this bug is that when you go into the astronaut complex, modify and hire a kerbal, and then leave, the selection/hiring part of the screen stays put and menu/button options for the space center break. The changes made, in this case, hiring the kerbal do not stick (thankfully) and the only way to break out of this event is to force-kill the program.

Same problem here.

I am however, playing with a wall of mods the size of a filing cabinet. In particular a few mods that might need looking into since they interact with Kerbonauts in some way.

- Kerbal Konstruction Time (Has ship fill and auto hire options in its alternate control boxes.)

- Extraplanetary Launchpads (It makes ships. Ships need crew, so even though I haven't used this, I'll mention it's plugged in.)

- Kerbal Konstructs (Puts ships in new places if desired, may interact with something.)

The nature of this bug is that when you go into the astronaut complex, modify and hire a kerbal, and then leave, the selection/hiring part of the screen stays put and menu/button options for the space center break. The changes made, in this case, hiring the kerbal do not stick (thankfully) and the only way to break out of this event is to force-kill the program.

I'm unable to replicate this on my stock or modded install. Any chance one of you guy can provide a screenshot? Also a full modlist , and if possible a copy of your output_log or ksp.log when this issue pops up. Hopefully will be to track down the issue for you guys :)

I'm unable to replicate this on my stock or modded install. Any chance one of you guy can provide a screenshot? Also a full modlist , and if possible a copy of your output_log or ksp.log when this issue pops up. Hopefully will be to track down the issue for you guys :)

I just pulled another mod that was causing memory leak problems, and the marked problem vanished.

Try plugging in the beta version of soundtrack editor and see what happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a note, changed to 'TheReadPanda' so mod will be continued to be updated but now by me, who is also the old OakTree42, but now as TheReadPanda - Rebranding! 

Please follow my new twitch/twitter/youtube :) If you want that is! Just letting folks know this mod will be ongoing and I'm still here! Just a new name!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought of a feature that I would love to see: the ability to bulk hire kerbals at a cheaper cost,the only downside would be that the traits would be random. So when filling up on kerbals for a large mission you don't have to click a thousand times you can just say: hire 20 kerbals and you instantly get 20 fresh new random kerbals!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2015 at 2:52 AM, Caithloki said:

Okay I like this mod a lot but I am very confused, with stupidity it lowers the cost but isn't the higher that stat better for mods like Rover dudes? I took two kerbals one with a very low stat (the higher cost low stupid amount) and a high stat (lower cost high stupid) and the productivity was better with higher stupidity. Can someone help clear this up, I don't want to spend a ton of funds on the incorrect option and have low productivity.

Which mod is that? I know Extraplanetary Launchpads prefers intelligent kerbals. Not sure which mod favors stupid ones (other than Snacks where they'll eat less)

1 hour ago, im_sparticus said:

With KerbalStuff gone (I loved that site and what it offered as a curse free repository of mods), is there a release of this available?  GitHub doesn't have a release that I can see.

i guess you can download it from https://github.com/OakTree42/KSI-Hiring ("Download ZIP" button ) while TheReadPanda reuploads to spacedock.info

Edited by frango9000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So we are on spacedock.info now but... 1.1 update is going to be rough as it appears that this mod does things that, well, to be honest no other mod does.

That is to say it over-rides various parts of a core UI in a building scene and the hooks I used to do this in earlier versions do not appear to exist in the 1.1 dll extensions. Which is not to say they are gone completely but maybe I just haven't found them yet. 

But since no other mod that I know of does what I do with the UI in this situation, I have no other mod to use as a reference point and there is pretty much only documentation created by other modders for this kind of thing and since no other modder that I know has a mod that does this... you get the idea.

So trial and error, searching and trying to piece this together are all I can do, and that will take time. I got the button working no problem (the little acorn guy) but that's on the KSC screen.

And before you ask, no the changes to the building in R&D is just changing a cfg file from what I can tell, not actually over-riding the actual display. So it is /possible/ that this is NOT possible anymore. But until I get this worked out the version for 1.0.5 is on spacedock.info here: http://spacedock.info/mod/431/Kerbal%20Science%20Institute%20Hiring

But that is only for 1.0.5 So... I have no timeline for when this will work, I've spent about 6 hours on it so far and will try to do what I can going forward but as I said, the part that is broken is tricky.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.