[1.12.x] DeepFreeze (v0.31.0) 12th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

18 minutes ago, ChickenBot448 said:

Hey JLPRepo, how do i open the doors for the CRR-0300? I've tried right clicking in every form but it doesn't work! Is there some way to get the doors open, or have i missed something completely.

You have to have JSI Advanced Transparent Pods installed. See link in my sig.
There's a slight anomoly with it at the moment.. in that when you open the doors the part appears empty until the doors are completely open.
I've already coded a fix, will be in the next version.

Edited by JPLRepo

I'm having a problem with a freezer here:

wj3cHJp.jpg

As you can see, I have a s..tton of electricity but the freezer shows "Freezer out of EC = True". If I attempt to freeze the Kerbals it says "systems critical...".

For some reason, it wouldn't see any electricity coming in... What may be causing that?

9 hours ago, cicatrix said:

I'm having a problem with a freezer here:

wj3cHJp.jpg

As you can see, I have a s..tton of electricity but the freezer shows "Freezer out of EC = True". If I attempt to freeze the Kerbals it says "systems critical...".

For some reason, it wouldn't see any electricity coming in... What may be causing that?

Just a thought but is there enabled crossfeed between where your batteries are and the freezer? Thats tripped me up in the past on stations

2 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

Just a thought but is there enabled crossfeed between where your batteries are and the freezer? Thats tripped me up in the past on stations

Actually i just saw you have kspi in stalled and the mj is at 3.6 wouldent that mean you have less than 1.8k of electricity avaliable (becuase the rest is converted) and you would need 3k to freeze one kerbal. 

This is based on my complete lack of understanding of how kspi makes megajoules :P

On 11/4/2016 at 6:57 AM, Space Kadet said:

Actually i just saw you have kspi in stalled and the mj is at 3.6 wouldent that mean you have less than 1.8k of electricity avaliable (becuase the rest is converted) and you would need 3k to freeze one kerbal. 

This is based on my complete lack of understanding of how kspi makes megajoules :P

I have 3 batteries just adjacent to the cryo pod. And I have 37K of EC (see the pic).

That megajoules come from nuclear engines (electricity comes from RTG).

This is not the standard behavior because if I freeze Kerbals and do not return to this vessel (keep it unloaded) until the time for them to wake up, no alerts pop up.

It happens when I switch to the craft from either KSC or from other craft. Despite having 37K of electricity and full batteries that happen to be just next to the cryo pod, it says that systems critical and the pod is out of EC. If I thaw the Kerbals and them freeze them again and then switch elsewhere, nothing happens until the vessel is loaded again. 

Actually, this happens to any ship I have currently.

Edited by cicatrix

1 hour ago, cicatrix said:

I have 3 batteries just adjacent to the cryo pod. And I have 37K of EC (see the pic).

That megajoules come from nuclear engines (electricity comes from RTG).

This is not the standard behavior because if I freeze Kerbals and do not return to this vessel (keep it unloaded) until the time for them to wake up, no alerts pop up.

It happens when I switch to the craft from either KSC or from other craft. Despite having 37K of electricity and full batteries that happen to be just next to the cryo pod, it says that systems critical and the pod is out of EC. If I thaw the Kerbals and them freeze them again and then switch elsewhere, nothing happens until the vessel is loaded again. 

Actually, this happens to any ship I have currently.

No log = I can't help you.
In this case as well it would be very beneficial if you can turn on the extra debug logging just before you try to switch to the vessel (can enable/disable the extra logging via the in-game Settings - Difficulty Settings menu).
See the OP for info on how to capture and supply your log.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 8:52 PM, JPLRepo said:

No log = I can't help you.
In this case as well it would be very beneficial if you can turn on the extra debug logging just before you try to switch to the vessel (can enable/disable the extra logging via the in-game Settings - Difficulty Settings menu).
See the OP for info on how to capture and supply your log.

Here's the log file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u3jixf6t5wi285/KSP.log?dl=0

What's wrong: when I leave the vessel alone (keep it unloaded) everything's fine (I mean the vessel with frozen Kerbals aboard). But when I switch to it, I have a message that freezer is out of EC and systems will be critical in N seconds. The counter starts counting down. This vessel can probably provide electricity for a small town (18K of EC constantly and it doesn't drop down). Every part receives the electricity but when I right click on freezer it says 'Freezer out of EC = True'.

Now, what I do - I thaw the Kerbals and freeze them again. Everything is fine, I can switch off and leave it for prolonged period unattended. When I switch to it back again, same thing happens - freezer out of EC and I have to thaw and re-freeze them again.

9 hours ago, cicatrix said:

Here's the log file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u3jixf6t5wi285/KSP.log?dl=0

What's wrong: when I leave the vessel alone (keep it unloaded) everything's fine (I mean the vessel with frozen Kerbals aboard). But when I switch to it, I have a message that freezer is out of EC and systems will be critical in N seconds. The counter starts counting down. This vessel can probably provide electricity for a small town (18K of EC constantly and it doesn't drop down). Every part receives the electricity but when I right click on freezer it says 'Freezer out of EC = True'.

Now, what I do - I thaw the Kerbals and freeze them again. Everything is fine, I can switch off and leave it for prolonged period unattended. When I switch to it back again, same thing happens - freezer out of EC and I have to thaw and re-freeze them again.

What I see you describing is exactly the expected behaviour from DeepFreeze if:

a) you have the Use EC option turned on in the settings.
b) you have frozen kerbals onboard a vessel for a long period of game time with the vessel unloaded.
c) when you switch back to the vessel it will try to take all the EC that was required to keep the kerbals alive whilst they were frozen and the vessel was unloaded.

You see stock KSP does not provide a way to consume EC or any resources from a vessel when it's unloaded. so DeepFreeze keeps a running total of the EC consumed whilst a vessel is unloaded and displays this in it's UI window. When you switch back to a previously unloaded vessel DeepFreeze WILL attempt to consume all of the EC that would have been used during the period of time it was unloaded. If it can't get that EC it will immediately consume 95% of the EC on-board and then start the warning countdown.

This is why:

1) There is a display in the DeepFreeze GUI that shows you this information for unloaded vessels with frozen kerbals on-board.
2) DeepFreeze should give you warning pop-up windows when calculated EC is low or critical to switch to the vessel.
3) This is why I integrated DeepFreeze with the BackgroundProcessing Mod so that it actually consumes EC when vessel are unloaded and you don't get the above behaviour. But at this time, the BackgroundProcessing Mod has not been updated for KSP 1.2+ so I cannot recommend you to use it.

Can you confirm that the above is in fact what happened in your game. (a,b,c above).

I've been thinking of implementing my own background EC consumption routine for both DeepFreeze and TAC LS mods unless BackgroundProcessing gets updated soon.

Edited by JPLRepo

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

What I see you describing is exactly the expected behaviour from DeepFreeze if:

a) you have the Use EC option turned on in the settings.
b) you have frozen kerbals onboard a vessel for a long period of game time with the vessel unloaded.
c) when you switch back to the vessel it will try to take all the EC that was required to keep the kerbals alive whilst they were frozen and the vessel was unloaded.

You see stock KSP does not provide a way to consume EC or any resources from a vessel when it's unloaded. so DeepFreeze keeps a running total of the EC consumed whilst a vessel is unloaded and displays this in it's UI window. When you switch back to a previously unloaded vessel DeepFreeze WILL attempt to consume all of the EC that would have been used during the period of time it was unloaded. If it can't get that EC it will immediately consume 95% of the EC on-board and then start the warning countdown.

This is why:

1) There is a display in the DeepFreeze GUI that shows you this information for unloaded vessels with frozen kerbals on-board.
2) DeepFreeze should give you warning pop-up windows when calculated EC is low or critical to switch to the vessel.
3) This is why I integrated DeepFreeze with the BackgroundProcessing Mod so that it actually consumes EC when vessel are unloaded and you don't get the above behaviour. But at this time, the BackgroundProcessing Mod has not been updated for KSP 1.2+ so I cannot recommend you to use it.

Can you confirm that the above is in fact what happened in your game. (a,b,c above).

I've been thinking of implementing my own background EC consumption routine for both DeepFreeze and TAC LS mods unless BackgroundProcessing gets updated soon.

So, it's not a bug, it's a feature then. :D

Yup, I can confirm it. This is what happens. Still, when you 'model' EC consumption this way, why you don't take into account EC production? 

And why the freezer stays 'Out of EC' even when I loaded the ship. Ok, it calculated that I might have had not enough EC at some point during flight, but why it doesn't re-check the present situation when the vessel is obviously ok?

On 11/13/2016 at 10:44 PM, cicatrix said:

So, it's not a bug, it's a feature then. :D

Yup, I can confirm it. This is what happens. Still, when you 'model' EC consumption this way, why you don't take into account EC production? 

And why the freezer stays 'Out of EC' even when I loaded the ship. Ok, it calculated that I might have had not enough EC at some point during flight, but why it doesn't re-check the present situation when the vessel is obviously ok?

Could be there is a bug when you switch to the vessel - if you raise it on Github I'd really appreciate it so I don't forget.

It does not account for EC production, because there are way too many factors involved there. The right answer is to have an unloaded vessel resource processing, such as Background Processing mod.
Which as I said, if it's not updated soon, I'll probably write my own.

• 2 weeks later...

@JPLRepo  Bless you for maintaining this mod!  

I'm a very roleplay sort of person when it comes to the game.  I don't like going to Duna unless I have 5 seats for every kerbal aboard the ship.  I imagine they'd go crazy if they were crammed into such tiny capsules for years on end.  This cryosleep gives a very good in-character way of sending people to far off planets in tiny capsules.  They'll be asleep!  They won't care.   I just need a big beefy space station waiting for them on the other end.  So yeah, thanks a lot.

Edited by PTNLemay

1 hour ago, PTNLemay said:

@JPLRepo  Bless you for maintaining this mod!  

I'm a very roleplay sort of person when it comes to the game.  I don't like going to Duna unless I have 5 seats for every kerbal aboard the ship.  I imagine they'd go crazy if they were crammed into such tiny capsules for years on end.  This cryosleep gives a very good in-character way of sending people to far off planets in tiny capsules.  They'll be asleep!  They won't care.   I just need a big beefy space station waiting for them on the other end.  So yeah, thanks a lot.

Glad you like It, posts like this are much appreciated. Just to clarify there is very little of the original mod code (in fact I don't think there is any, as I have rewritten and expanded this mod over the years) and one part model that I inherited from the original author. 

On 12/7/2016 at 11:27 PM, JPLRepo said:

V 0.23.2.0 released for KSP 1.2.2.
Changes the way it integrates with TAC LS. You must have TAC LS 0.12.7 if you also use that mod.
@cicatrix - should also fix your EC issue.
See Changelog for other changes.

Just to clarify this Repo, with TAC onboard, it somehow maintains the loaded type resources with the vehicle in an unloaded state.  That will allow EC to generate and this in turn keeps the freezers up and runnin? 

Thx again for this mod, with out it I cant RPG the idea of long duration deep space flights.

On 23.7.2016 at 11:17 AM, JPLRepo said:

It doesn't Freeze USI LS supplies or home/habitation. What DeepFreeze does is Freeze the Kerbals. This in turn means USI LS stops consuming supplies for them, and stops tracking their home/habitation values. when a Kerbal is Thawed in DeepFreeze USI LS will begin consuming supplies for them again and reset their home/habitation values to the current game time and these clocks will start ticking again in USI LS.

Mhm, I don't know if it just me, but it's currently not working for me as advertised - at least not in it's current version (23.2.0) with USI LS (0.5.14.0)

What I mean is: Let's say I put Jeb, Bill and Bob in a Freezer, freeze all three of them, send them on a journey for let's say 180 days (still frozen of course) and as soon as I wake up the first guy (doesn't matter who), the first guy consumes 180 days worth of supplies. This issue does not happen when I thaw the other two guys, just the first one gets very hungry! The issue does also not happen if I keep one guy unfrozen during the journey.

Is this issue happening only to me? (If so, you will probably need more information and logs, won't you?) Can anybody else confirm it?

Btw: If you want to reproduce the issue, you don't actually need to fly. You can just freeze the guys and leave them on the launch pad and fast forward 30-60 days.

10 hours ago, caipi said:

Mhm, I don't know if it just me, but it's currently not working for me as advertised - at least not in it's current version (23.2.0) with USI LS (0.5.14.0)

What I mean is: Let's say I put Jeb, Bill and Bob in a Freezer, freeze all three of them, send them on a journey for let's say 180 days (still frozen of course) and as soon as I wake up the first guy (doesn't matter who), the first guy consumes 180 days worth of supplies. This issue does not happen when I thaw the other two guys, just the first one gets very hungry! The issue does also not happen if I keep one guy unfrozen during the journey.

Is this issue happening only to me? (If so, you will probably need more information and logs, won't you?) Can anybody else confirm it?

Btw: If you want to reproduce the issue, you don't actually need to fly. You can just freeze the guys and leave them on the launch pad and fast forward 30-60 days.

Sounds like another USI incompatibility issue.. I have been getting a few of these lately with a few of my mods.
Seems USI has made changes to the way it works a lot lately, and it's getting a lot harder to keep up with all the changes in USI.

I am currently on holidays, So I can look at this in the new year when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question: I'm testing out the cryopods from the REKT mod, and I've noticed that in 1.1.3 I could start a freeze that would run me out of EC, and the freezer would continue to charge as it got more EC, until it finally had accumulated enough to do the freeze.  In 1.2.2 I can't seem to do that.  Has something changed?

13 hours ago, DStaal said:

Quick question: I'm testing out the cryopods from the REKT mod, and I've noticed that in 1.1.3 I could start a freeze that would run me out of EC, and the freezer would continue to charge as it got more EC, until it finally had accumulated enough to do the freeze.  In 1.2.2 I can't seem to do that.  Has something changed?

Quite possibly...

There were a lot of changes in KSP 1.2 and beyond.   So there are many behaviors that have "changed".  as a result there are many "unexpected" results from those changes.  Quite honestly, comparisons between KSP 1.1.3 and KSP 1.2.x are like apples and oranges in many respects...

2 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

There were a lot of changes in KSP 1.2 and beyond.   So there are many behaviors that have "changed".  as a result there are many "unexpected" results from those changes.  Quite honestly, comparisons between KSP 1.1.3 and KSP 1.2.x are like apples and oranges in many respects...

I figured it was something like that - but I wanted to bring it up, because it makes a big decision in ship design.  Under the old behavior, as long as you had generating capacity you didn't really need much in the way of EC storage capacity - it'd get gobbled up as it was generated.  Currently, generating capacity is mostly irrelevant - all you need is storage capacity.

I was bringing it up in the context of REKT, because they are still trying to tweak a cryofreeze escape pod, and the current design works under 1.1.3, but not under 1.2.x - and it would really unbalance the pod to include 2000+ EC: It's not supposed to be able to *unfreeze* a Kerbal on it's own, and the rest of the pods only have ~50 EC.  What was being looked at was some various one-time storage options or one-time generator options.  So if the old behavior could be restored, it can have the pattern of 'one-time high-flow generator, minimal storage and a trickle maintenance generator'.  So consider this a request for that.  (I can put the request someplace else if you'd like.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.