DevNotes: "something rather brilliant from RoverDude"

AbacusWizard

Putting The Claw on anything is like placing the vessel on a sacrifice altar for the Kraken.

Seeing as how the launch pad and air-strip are the Kraken's primary and secondary sacrificial altars, anything with or without a Klaw has already been on at least one Kraken altar.

Truthfully, I have had more problems with cargo bays than Klaws in 1.0.2.

(possibly because I like to put radial mounted chutes in them, and that seems to often turn my rockets into vibrators, fortunately I can turn off the vibration by just opening and closing the cargo bay(usually))

Putting The Claw on anything is like placing the vessel on a sacrifice altar for the Kraken.

Am I the only one who routinely uses the Claw to carry ships across interplanetary distances, in time warp, saved and exited the game and come back in, and never, EVER had a problem with them?

The ONLY time I've ever had a Claw-related problem was when I tried (and failed) to make a crane out of 5 of them. Not only did the crane not work well, but the Kraken ate it.

I've been using medium docking ports to connect my surface-to-orbit tanker to my Minmus mine/refinery combine without any problems. Both the tanker and the combine are on wheels, so it's relatively straightforward to maneuver them into a connection; the difficult part was designing them so that the docking ports would be at the same height in the first place. (Testing them out at the Space Center before launching for reals is a very good idea, by the way.)

Am I the only one who routinely uses the Claw to carry ships across interplanetary distances, in time warp, saved and exited the game and come back in, and never, EVER had a problem with them?

The ONLY time I've ever had a Claw-related problem was when I tried (and failed) to make a crane out of 5 of them. Not only did the crane not work well, but the Kraken ate it.

I will keep avoiding them for other things than asteroids anyway. Because they spawn satans. And don't look as elegant as pipes would. And are clawy and scary.

I've been using medium docking ports to connect my surface-to-orbit tanker to my Minmus mine/refinery combine without any problems. Both the tanker and the combine are on wheels, so it's relatively straightforward to maneuver them into a connection; the difficult part was designing them so that the docking ports would be at the same height in the first place. (Testing them out at the Space Center before launching for reals is a very good idea, by the way.)

The only problem with testing those heights out at the KSC, is if you go to a lower/higher gravity body, it can end up being off.

My Minmus modules wouldn't all attach on Kerbin, but all worked fine on Minmus.

- - - Updated - - -

My second asteroid-grabber glitched out and I had to just terminate it. Anytime I loaded it, it would just start accelerating out of control, threatening to break the ship apart. If I detached the ship from the asteroid, just the ship would fly out of Kerbin's SoI(and very quickly).

Clawphobia is a bit overhyped. I've had one single issue caused by driving a rover into a clawed rover by mistake. A mistake i made sure not to repeat. So far i've used them on recovery landers to return junk to Kerbin, recovery orbiters/airless landers, as a backup docking port in case surface docking fails, as a straigh replacement for docks on surface fuel tankers, etc. They're fine for many uses and i've had clawed vehicled dock with complicated stations without issue.

There is a limit to claws, and they're definitely buggy but not to such an extent that their use should be completely avoided or relegated to asteroid capture. SAS going berserk is a much bigger and almost constant problem for me.

The only problem with testing those heights out at the KSC, is if you go to a lower/higher gravity body, it can end up being off.

Could compensate for that by attaching just enough extra thrust during testing to simulate the different gravity. :P

My second asteroid-grabber glitched out and I had to just terminate it. Anytime I loaded it, it would just start accelerating out of control, threatening to break the ship apart. If I detached the ship from the asteroid, just the ship would fly out of Kerbin's SoI(and very quickly).

I've had that happen several times over the years.

...but never with a ship with the Claw on it.

Lucky you. Maybe you aren't the only one, maybe there are more like you, but I'm not one of them.;.;

ok this weeks devnote killed my hype (tends to happen when what is hyped has nothing to do with you) can we stop being teased and just know what roverdude did already? If it's gonna be another disappointment I'd rather get it over with now :/

If I had my way we shouldn't even know what the thing is until we open up 1.0.3 for the first time and play around for a bit.

If I had my way we shouldn't even know what the thing is until we open up 1.0.3 for the first time and play around for a bit.

Well it seems you're going to get your wish, if the Devnotes keep going in the direction they're going now.

I fully expect next week's devnotes to have a cat video or something in them. And nothing else.

So. I will say this.

The correct answer is in this thread.

Also to repeat from the other thread - set expectations appropriately. This is a featurette, not anything overly massive. A very cool one, and one I think people will like (and I expect modders to extend - I made sure there were appropriate hooks, and the coding bits were done with modding in mind).

It's more than just a single part (like the Flea or the Xenon Tank), but not as large of a thing as, say, asteroid mining. Size wise (to get a feel for what to expect) I'd put it at roughly the same magnitude as the heat shields, maybe a bit bigger in scope, but not much.

Let the speculation intensify.

Roverdude! RoverDude! RoverDude!

It is probably a part right?

It's a small thing - but super cool, and thrilled we were able to get it green lighted for 1.0.3 - it's something I had been tinkering with in anticipation of a future release, but I'm pretty pleased with where it landed, and have been doing a ton of personal playtesting in my own save for the past month or so. I think folks will be pleased.

Oh... and there was a hint in that previous statement. Let the speculation begin.

Im convinced it's radiators or some other kind of active heat management. Roverdude used multiple temperature related references in his reply on the matter and its something much needed with the introduction of the new heat system in 1.0.x.

Checking back for first guess on radiators - Yakuzi in Post #8. Congrats!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.