[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

USI Sounding Rocket parts need costs assigned to them. Currently they are all 0 (since USI by default makes them all available in the stock default node 0). I recommend a universal baseline of 1000 funds per part for now.

Also I think we need a 1.875m group of parts. They are common now and I think it would help spread out the parts, since 1.875m is so different than 2.5 or 1.25m, and also since almost all of the 1.875m BDB parts are grouped into 1 node. Also, the LY-10 landing gear is in the 'No node assigned' tech, when it should be in the first node of Landing Gear, where there is nothing and the larger gear is in the second and third node.

23 hours ago, NavyFish said:

Is mystery goo intentionally in Atomic Power? 

You betcha.  It glows and wiggles. :) 

11 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I've been sticking them all in the science branch... I'm def waiting for Probus to finish up his guidelines doc before doing any more work to ensure I'm putting things in spots not just reasonable for the parts but for the idea behind the node itself

For the most part, they go in the science branch, unless they have some function relating to another branch such as thermometers in Thermodynamics.

8 hours ago, inigma said:

USI Sounding Rocket parts need costs assigned to them. Currently they are all 0 (since USI by default makes them all available in the stock default node 0). I recommend a universal baseline of 1000 funds per part for now.

@inigma, would you like to whip up a MM patch for Sounding Rockets and I will include it in my patch files.

6 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Also I think we need a 1.875m group of parts. They are common now and I think it would help spread out the parts, since 1.875m is so different than 2.5 or 1.25m, and also since almost all of the 1.875m BDB parts are grouped into 1 node. Also, the LY-10 landing gear is in the 'No node assigned' tech, when it should be in the first node of Landing Gear, where there is nothing and the larger gear is in the second and third node.

I am considering this.  What part packs use 1.875?  I wonder if it should be better to be a 1.875 to 2.0 branch. 

Also, the LY-10 landing gear is in the 'No node assigned' tech, when it should be in the first node of Landing Gear, where there is nothing and the larger gear is in the second and third node.

Several parts just refuse to move to the node that we assign them to.  That is one of them.  Also the 2x3 solar panel won't behave either.

@Grunf911 The front page shows which mods have been added to ETT, of which the 'Tested'list have been checked and processed for the newest version of the mod and KSP.

I'm currently organizing the MKIV system for implementation although I'd rather wait for Nertea to update it before I implement the parts.
I had totally forgotten about the Chop Shop and its awesome parts, I'll get to adding those soon!:)

@Gaiiden you added BDB compatibility? I don't envy that task.

The thing of note for BDB's 1.875m rockets is that they can kind of be divided into 2-3 tiers. Atlas and Titan 1, Titan 2/3 with some of the shorter SRMs, and then Titan 4 with the longer SRMs. They're made to have a progression through them. Having them all in 1 node would be fairly confusing.

Somewhat on that note - where were the 1.5m parts placed? Especially because there's sort of two tiers for those - the Juno/Chryslus and Thor/Fenris for the early 1.5m parts, and then the Delta 2/Daleth parts for advanced 1.5m.

1 hour ago, Artfact said:

@Grunf911 The front page shows which mods have been added to ETT, of which the 'Tested'list have been checked and processed for the newest version of the mod and KSP.

I'm currently organizing the MKIV system for implementation although I'd rather wait for Nertea to update it before I implement the parts.
I had totally forgotten about the Chop Shop and its awesome parts, I'll get to adding those soon!:)

Hi @Artfact, I checked the front page, and for the mods I listed i did not see any info, so I was hoping some1 in the thread played with them and had any comment if it was working or not :-)

20 minutes ago, Grunf911 said:

Hi @Artfact, I checked the front page, and for the mods I listed i did not see any info, so I was hoping some1 in the thread played with them and had any comment if it was working or not :-)

Well, from the top of my head I can say that:

Procedural Dynamic wings, has been added to the latest dev version so will be here soon.
The original B9 Procedural parts is included; I honestly didn't know of this modified version as the old one works fine for me. As long as the parts haven't been renamed or new ones were added it should be fine.
Surface Experiments pack has been added.
Adjustable landing gear has not been added and probably won't be until it gets updated, I presume.
KOs has been added.
Inline Ballutes has been added but might need some work.

Edited by Artfact

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

The thing of note for BDB's 1.875m rockets is that they can kind of be divided into 2-3 tiers. Atlas and Titan 1, Titan 2/3 with some of the shorter SRMs, and then Titan 4 with the longer SRMs. They're made to have a progression through them. Having them all in 1 node would be fairly confusing.

Somewhat on that note - where were the 1.5m parts placed? Especially because there's sort of two tiers for those - the Juno/Chryslus and Thor/Fenris for the early 1.5m parts, and then the Delta 2/Daleth parts for advanced 1.5m.

I forget exactly what I did with them but I used their assigned tech nodes for reference - so if a part had a more advanced tech node I placed it in a higher node on ETT as well. So there shouldn't be parts clustered together that share diff tech nodes assigned by you. But I'm pretty sure I completely screwed up the ability to assemble a specific type of launcher (like as designated in the cool manual) without part hunting through a bunch of nodes to unlock everything...

BTW I should mention that I'm currently having second thoughts about wanting to use a tech tree at all. So further contributions may not be forthcoming

26 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

I forget exactly what I did with them but I used their assigned tech nodes for reference - so if a part had a more advanced tech node I placed it in a higher node on ETT as well. So there shouldn't be parts clustered together that share diff tech nodes assigned by you. But I'm pretty sure I completely screwed up the ability to assemble a specific type of launcher (like as designated in the cool manual) without part hunting through a bunch of nodes to unlock everything...

BTW I should mention that I'm currently having second thoughts about wanting to use a tech tree at all. So further contributions may not be forthcoming

Honestly I don't think they all unlock together in the stock tech tree as well. At least, not quite perfectly.

25 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

Going for Sandbox?

3 hours ago, Probus said:

Going for Sandbox?

No, just a full tree unlock and paying for parts, but deciding myself when I should be using certain parts as my program develops. I'm roleplaying, so it gets a bit complicated and I'm starting to realize how the tree will just make it more so. Science will be diverted to various other stuff with mods that give you alternate uses for it. Still considering but strongly leaning this way

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

Also there are quite a few parts missing in the tree from BDB, Cargo Agena/Transtage/Gemini and MOL.

Well those parts aren't done. They were accidentally included in the last release while I was away.

Hi @Artfact,

Is there a way how i could contribute in terms of getting the rest of the mods from my list proper assignments. I could download ETT, and then provide configs to place the mod packs according to my judgement and then send you the updates to integrate with the rest

Would that work ?

1 hour ago, Grunf911 said:

Hi @Artfact,

Is there a way how i could contribute in terms of getting the rest of the mods from my list proper assignments. I could download ETT, and then provide configs to place the mod packs according to my judgement and then send you the updates to integrate with the rest

Would that work ?

Hey there.:) That would certainly work.
But you might as well do it yourself, the Tech Tree Editor is extremely easy to use.
You can then post it on the Github as a branch to the master or, if that doesn't work out for you, send Probus the Edited config file and it should be fine!
Instructions are here.

If you've got questions or run into problems with part placement or Github you can find us on the #EET EsperNet IRC.:)

46 minutes ago, Artfact said:

Hey there.:) That would certainly work.
But you might as well do it yourself, the Tech Tree Editor is extremely easy to use.
You can then post it on the Github as a branch to the master or, if that doesn't work out for you, send Probus the Edited config file and it should be fine!
Instructions are here.

If you've got questions or run into problems with part placement or Github you can find us on the #EET EsperNet IRC.:)

Hi @Artfact

Sorry for a stupid question but how do i get the editor, there is no download link and i am not github kind a guy>

EDIT / nevermind got it :)

UPDATE: Tried to load EngTechTree with Tech Tree editor that i downloaded with your master, and when i try to load the EngTechTree.cfg (using Load Yonge Tech Tree LSP 1.04) i get: Input string was not in the correct format.

Ok let me go through what i did:

1. Went to this page: https://github.com/ProbusThrax/ETT
  2. Went Clone or download -> ZIP
  3. Extracted the zip in my KSP HOME, so the GameData/ETT/EngTechTree.cfg was taken from the master
  4. Went to KSP_HOME/KSPTechTreeEditor/ and ran KSP Tech Tree Editor v0.3.exe
  5. I could only select KSP1.04 Load STOCK not Yonge, and selected GameData/ETT/EngTechTree.cfg

Then i got this, and As far as i understand i should see some tech nodes but i do not see them, see image

nDrjPGr.png

What am i doing wrong

Edited by Grunf911

55 minutes ago, Grunf911 said:

Hi @Artfact

Sorry for a stupid question but how do i get the editor, there is no download link and i am not github kind a guy>

EDIT / nevermind got it :)

UPDATE: Tried to load EngTechTree with Tech Tree editor that i downloaded with your master, and when i try to load the EngTechTree.cfg (using Load Yonge Tech Tree LSP 1.04) i get: Input string was not in the correct format.

Ok let me go through what i did:

1. Went to this page: https://github.com/ProbusThrax/ETT
  2. Went Clone or download -> ZIP
  3. Extracted the zip in my KSP HOME, so the GameData/ETT/EngTechTree.cfg was taken from the master
  4. Went to KSP_HOME/KSPTechTreeEditor/ and ran KSP Tech Tree Editor v0.3.exe
  5. I could only select KSP1.04 Load STOCK not Yonge, and selected GameData/ETT/EngTechTree.cfg

Then i got this, and As far as i understand i should see some tech nodes but i do not see them, see image

What am i doing wrong

You are missing a step between 4 and 5.  You first need to tell the tech tree editor the path to your KSP install.  Then you will have the option to load a yonge tech tree.

See if that helps.

1 minute ago, Probus said:

You are missing a step between 4 and 5.  You first need to tell the tech tree editor the path to your KSP install.  Then you will have the option to load a yonge tech tree.

See if that helps.

I am sorry i forgot to write it, but i did tell tech tree editor of my KSP_Home,

COS8kh0.png

...and when i press Load Stock Tech tree and select EngTechTree.cfg from ETT folder i get the picture above from previos post, but if i try to load Yonge:

aMtuP8y.png

Now i can conclude if you look at the picture from my previous post that my mods loaded correctly when selecting Load StockTechtree, as you will notice Cormorant Aeronology in the mod list. My question is why can i not see tech tree. Here is what my folders look like:

mp7RCy1.png

My question is what was 

Let me try to reproduce the error @Grunf911

EDIT: I'm sorry, but I can't reproduce the error.  I even inserted errors in the cfg file and couldn't get your error.  Try going to the dev version and cutting and pasting the entire tree over the cfg version you have in your ETT directory.

https://github.com/ProbusThrax/ETT/tree/master/GameData/ETT 

I am also on #ETT IRC if you want to chat.

Edited by Probus

1 hour ago, Probus said:

EDIT: I'm sorry, but I can't reproduce the error.  I even inserted errors in the cfg file and couldn't get your error.  Try going to the dev version and cutting and pasting the entire tree over the cfg version you have in your ETT directory.

That is exactly what i did, now, can you look at my folders in post above and confirm 2 things:

1. We are using same folder structure
  2. We are using same file dates.
  3. My guess is i messed up either when: Zipping the master in step 1
  4. Installing it in KSP Home

I am on irc now #ETT

Does KSP need to be running when you start tree editor or ?

Edited by Grunf911

1 hour ago, Probus said:

Found the bug

The problem in scale parameter: the one in the master uses

scale = 0.6

....while to load in Yonge format, it should be:

scale = 0,6

The error is in dot versus comma. Figured it out by saving random yonge and comparing it to ett.

Anyway it works now, thx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.