PS4 Announcement Discussion

DuoDex

Squad's forums, Squad's rules.

Quoting this as it's true, and while criticism is allowed that criticism cannot be baseless.

Wild suppositions and claims with no founding do not help Squad, the players, or even their critics, they just create noise and confusion over the real issues.

Looks like we may be missing a couple of buttons. Without a doubt, action groups would be ruined.

I'd say the way to tackle Action Groups would be a dialogue wheel: Hold a button, the game pauses and a wheel is displayed, divided into segments for the various Action Groups, or other common commands that don't need to be used immediately. Staging wouldn't be there, for example, but Toggle Solar Panels could.

I would say this seems like a dumb idea.

Not because it wont be able to run mods or that it will sell bad.

Mainly because you WILL have to make it much simpler, mainly the rocket-building.

It will also (probably) be as previous people said, ''modless'', which removes a big part of the KSP community.

I do think that stock KSP is fun, but without mods it will become more linear the more you play.

Though it may be so that it has better performance, but glitches dont care for your hardware.

Either way, i hope for the best, maybe we will get something good out of this.

I'd say the way to tackle Action Groups would be a dialogue wheel: Hold a button, the game pauses and a wheel is displayed, divided into segments for the various Action Groups, or other common commands that don't need to be used immediately. Staging wouldn't be there, for example, but Toggle Solar Panels could.

I agree with this, just pause the game when a complicated button needs to be pressed.

Removed
I've had plenty of posts deleted and have even had my posts pre-moderated for a few months. My list of warnings is as long as any troll from /kspg/. At the end of the day, though, I know that these are Squad's forums that run under Squad's rules. If you have a problem with that, there's always /kspg/ for shiptoasting. Edited by sal_vager

I would say this seems like a dumb idea.

Not because it wont be able to run mods or that it will sell bad.

Mainly because you WILL have to make it much simpler, mainly the rocket-building.

It will also (probably) be as previous people said, ''modless'', which removes a big part of the KSP community.

I do think that stock KSP is fun, but without mods it will become more linear the more you play.

Though it may be so that it has better performance, but glitches dont care for your hardware.

Either way, i hope for the best, maybe we will get something good out of this.

Do we play the same game? The KSP I know is about stacking a bunch of parts onto a long tube, maybe radially adding some more tubes, and finally putting things on the tubes. Then I'll take the craft somewhere, something which works in fact better with my wired 360 Pad. Maximum control complexity arises when i right klick on some part to make it do stuff or activate an action group.

Come on, you need to have an utter lack of imagination/experience if you can't think about ways to realize that with a controller. Controls and Construction itself are very simple, KSP has a lot of depth, but it's not a complex game.

Edited by Temeter

Whenever I bother to get my 360 controller working I may try to use it as the mouse in KSP. It sounds kinda difficult to me though... Maybe console gamers have more fine control with those things?

Remember the DS4 has a touchpad and accelerometer :D

Sorry if it has already been discussed but, what about PS4 version Mods support ?

I heard about Microsoft allowing Fallout 4 PC mods to run on XBone version as well, so I am just wondering what is possible to do with these consoles regarding Mods.

Thanks.

Whenever I bother to get my 360 controller working I may try to use it as the mouse in KSP. It sounds kinda difficult to me though... Maybe console gamers have more fine control with those things?
Attempting to replicate a mouse pointer with a controller is the wrong approach IMHO. The PS4 control scheme should be designed for the controller for good results, and not end up being a kludge of the PC control scheme.

Sure, I'd love to give it a shot. :)

What do you do about clicking on parts in flight and such? Just use the mouse for this? It would still be nice if they made it so the UI would change dynamically depending on the last input device it received a signal from. One of my favorite things about modern PC gaming is how easy it is to go back and forth between both K&M and gampad. (For most big games)

Here is my settings file. You can a just them to your liking. I don't use the controller for building or clicking parts, i just switch to my mouse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lytapm7gfa94vck/settings.cfg?dl=0

Nah, the systems are usually purposebuilt for controller. Especially using a cursor isn't something fitting for controlers. In KSPs case, i'd imagine construction could be better done by directly moving a piece centered in the middle of the screen after selecting a part. Then left stick to move it in the X/Y Axis, L1/L2 moves up and down, right stick controls camera, R1/R2 are zoom.

Nah, the systems are usually purposebuilt for controller. Especially using a cursor isn't something fitting for controlers. In KSPs case, i'd imagine construction could be better done by directly moving a piece centered in the middle of the screen after selecting a part. Then left stick to move it in the X/Y Axis, L1/L2 moves up and down, right stick controls camera, R1/R2 are zoom.

Or just use the touchpad that is built into the controller. It works. It really does.

Maxmaps has just confirmed that KSP will be coming to the PS4.

How do you feel about this?

Not good. PC users have nothing to gain from this.

Good thing I like the game the way it is now. I don't see much more development going on with the PC version at this point. I can look back at the history of too many other game developers who have gone the same way to think otherwise.

This is monetarily good for Squad. It provides a substantial infusion of cash. What's next ... XBox?

Once they go down the console route, forever will it control their destiny.

Cross post but relevant.

Thing is, if Squad had been dissuaded from other formats back around .19 / .20, I'd not be playing KSP on Linux now, and many players wouldn't have an OSX version either, and neither of these versions has impacted the core development.

That's a lot of gamers that could have been alienated by a Windows PC only release, that's lots of members we'd never have met here, lots of modders who's works extend KSP that we enjoy using.

Actually if community backlash had caused Squad to cancel their plans for a Linux version and it stopped working in Wine, I'd not have remained interested in the game and would have moved on.

So I think that porting KSP to PS4 is a good thing in the long run, it'll bring new and excited players that'll keep the communities fresh, it'll encourage some to try modding on their PC, it'll show console owners that there is more variety than the shooters and casual games that dominate those platforms.

And why stop at the PS4? Xbone support, via the same or another 3rd party could spread KSP even further, KSP already works on SteamOS thanks to Squad exploring other formats, so we'll see Steambox owners enjoying firing Kerbals into space.

Unity5 also supports the WiiU, and don't forget the original design for KSP was a 2D side view game, it'd be nice to see that on phones one day.

So I think this is a good thing, but it'll take time to see how it pans out.

Some people say Squad should be doing things that modders haven't....a console port definitely fits that bill. :P

Haha so true :)

I'm actually looking forward to a new UI. Right clicking some things to bring up tiny buttons that rotate with your ship and left clicking others to bring up menus that look nothing like any other menus in the game are just 2 examples where - frankly - a UI designed to work with a controller would be welcome. At least by me.

I'm still sore about the devnote rugpull, though. Next time you will have no devnotes, just say that. Don't say they'll be awesome and then make an unrelated announcement.

I don't own a Playstation, so I need to find someone to drive the Playstation HypeTrain. You must prove to me that you have what it takes to be a good hypeTrain driver for such a console.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. I don't think KSP can work as a console game. The piloting would be fine but you'd need to drastically simplify the editors.

If you put an X-box, playstation, or nintendo in front of me I could not tell which was which. Never played any of them.

How can you design parts or make mods on a playstation? Does blender have a playstation version, ROFL. I like to see them edit their persistent file, or mod a cfg.

IMO its for entry level players only, it would be like a starter package.

5th go read Harv's Dev Blog for more about the developemnt

plus some of the major devs just got off a vacation, and two days of work (IIRC) would have resulted in a dev blog much like last weeks

I did (though it was after I posted this) and while the post makes me happy about the development cycle, it does not change what irked me. Nothing will, as it's a thing that happened in the past. I'll get over it, but I just won't trust them anymore about stuff like this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.