[1.05] Extensive Engineer Report (v0.5) Available on CKAN

jkortech

Extensive Engineer Report

Extensive Engineer Report is a Kerbal Space Program mod that extends the Engineer's Report in the Vehicle Assembly Building and the Spaceplane Hanger with additional checks to ensure that your vessel has everything you need. This mod is available on CKAN or on the releases page on Github (https://github.com/jkoritzinsky/Extensive-Engineer-Report/releases/latest).

IMPORTANT (NEW v0.5 INFO)
File names have changed.  Please delete your previous install before installing v0.5 or any newer version! (Would also suggest this for CKAN users).

This mod now has hard dependencies!  Without them, the mod will either not load or will function oddly. Make sure you install them!

Dependencies (automatically installed w/ CKAN)

ShipSections v1.1 or newer

ModuleManager (any recent version)

Special Features (v0.5)

Launch Button Color

If any checked tests (applicable and severity enabled) fail, the launch button will turn red.  It will still work, but it should catch your eye and get you to check your tests.

Applicable Tests

Tests only show up if they are considered applicable (required mods installed, has first part type of a combo)

Screenshots!

Current tests

General Tests

• Unmanned With Science And No Transmitters
  • High Heat Gen; No Radiators
  • Landing Legs but no Lights
  • Has Control Surfaces
  • Suggest fixed power generation if only deployable
  • Has SAS
  • Labs Have Scientists Aboard
  • Non resettable experiments have scientists or lab
  • Probe core has backup battery
  • Radial stages strutted
  • Struts don't go to lower stages (only w/o FAR installed)
  • TWR above 1 (crude calculation, possibly some false negatives)
  • Unmanned probe has advanced flight computer (kOS or MechJeb, only if one of them is installed)

RemoteTech Checks

• RemoteTech Antenna Checks (w/ RT installed)
  • RemoteTech Flight Computer Checks (w/ RT installed)

BDArmory Checks

• Weapons and no weapon manager
  • Autopilot but no weapon manager
  • Weapon manager but no flares

Changelog

Spoiler

Changes in v0.5

Added UI.

Now depends on ShipSections and MM.

Section tests can be toggled on and off. 

Visible (but not intrusive) warning before launch.

Bug Fixes in v0.4.2

Fixed bugs that would cause systems without BDArmory to have a broken Engineer's Report.

Implemented workaround in crew checking system until I can figure out how to do it the way I want to.

Bug Fixes in v0.4.1

Fix gamebreaking bug with Pre-flight checker.

FAQ

Q: My ships that I created before installing v0.5+ take a second or two to load.  Why?

A: That's from a combination of ShipSections and any mod that utilizes it (which is currently only this one).  When loading a ship that hasn't been loaded before, the modules haven't been initialized so there's some exception spam that is handled in the mod.  There are no issues with loading these ships and they work totally fine.  It just takes a second or two more than usual (depending on ship size).  I am looking at ways to fix this in ShipSections.

How To Report Bugs and Request Features

If you find a bug or have a feature request, add an issue at https://github.com/jkoritzinsky/Extensive-Engineer-Report/issues/new on GitHub. This will have the fastest turnaround. I'll also respond on the KSP forum or on Reddit, but it might take a little longer.

Edited by jkortech
Update for v0.5

Neat.

For custom tests, WerhnerChecker has an XML file that people can edit, though I believe it's limited to checking if a PartModule exists. If you don't want to develop a GUI yet, doing something like that might work well.

If you wanted custom tests per-save, then saving it in the persistent.sfs file would be the easiest, although then a little harder to edit with an editor.

I don't want to register on GitHub right now, but I do have two requests.

If craft has landing legs or wheels, suggest lighting. Waiting for daytime to land sometimes takes months, and landing in the dark is suicide.

If craft has only deployable solar panels, suggest a supplemental power source that does not require electricity to deploy. Nothing like having plenty of solar power, and then forgetting too long to deploy it until it's too late.

I don't want to register on GitHub right now, but I do have two requests.

If craft has landing legs or wheels, suggest lighting. Waiting for daytime to land sometimes takes months, and landing in the dark is suicide.

If craft has only deployable solar panels, suggest a supplemental power source that does not require electricity to deploy. Nothing like having plenty of solar power, and then forgetting too long to deploy it until it's too late.

Got it! I added the issues to GitHub. The reason I suggest GitHub issues is because I get emails when issues are created so it's less likely I miss them.

This is really cool! I have a couple of ideas to contribute:

Radial parts and no struts on them. Notice.

In VAB; TWR < 1. Warning.

Using BD Armory: part has weapons but no weapon manager. Notice.

Using BD Armory: part has weapon manager but no flares. Notice.

Using BD Armory: part has autopilot but no weapon manager. Notice.

Is there a possibility to download without CKAN?

On Github there are only the C-script-files.

Sure

on top of github search for releases.

Press the link an you get the compiled version to download.

cu

salo

Hey there.

I replied on the Modding Mondays that I find the Engineer's Report very useless, but please don't take that as bad criticism on your mod.

In fact, you could take it as constructive criticism, for there is one single change to the report that would make it a lot better to me (tho I don't know wether it is within your modding capabilities): to make the icon green when the ship is OK, so that when it is yellow it actually draws my attention :)

Edited by monstah
Cutting back on Grammatic Sexism. Why are we so used to saying "man" and "dude"? We don't know most users' genders...

This is really cool! I have a couple of ideas to contribute:

Radial parts and no struts on them. Notice.

In VAB; TWR < 1. Warning.

Using BD Armory: part has weapons but no weapon manager. Notice.

Using BD Armory: part has weapon manager but no flares. Notice.

Using BD Armory: part has autopilot but no weapon manager. Notice.

Thanks for the suggestions! I did the TWR one, and I'm working on the struts one. The API is being a little weird to me. The BD Armory ones will come either in 0.3 or 0.4.

Hey there.

I replied on the Modding Mondays that I find the Engineer's Report very useless, but please don't take that as bad criticism on your mod.

In fact, you could take it as constructive criticism, for there is one single change to the report that would make it a lot better to me (tho I don't know wether it is within your modding capabilities): to make the icon green when the ship is OK, so that when it is yellow it actually draws my attention :)

The next version comes with a pre-flight warning if your ship is failing any warning or critical level checks, but I think I might be able to do the icon color change as well...

Version v0.3 Released! Now with warnings before you fly. Lots more tests this time! Take a look at the release notes!

Unforntunately it seems the next update has problem with KCT. Both mods catch the build action from editor (this to display a warning KCT to delay construction), and interaction is no good for them.

Can you make this part optional or configurable somehow? (it would be ok for me to have a cfg file).

Unforntunately it seems the next update has problem with KCT. Both mods catch the build action from editor (this to display a warning KCT to delay construction), and interaction is no good for them.

Can you make this part optional or configurable somehow? (it would be ok for me to have a cfg file).

Yeah a couple of times I managed to insta-launch from this mod.

As a workaround, always hit cancel, and then press the normal build/simulate buttons.

The check for a flight computer, does that include mechjeb?

Also, how about, if kOS is installed, a check that an unmanned ship have the kOS computer installed? I would list this as either an info or a warning since it can still fly and be controlled.

LinuxGurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add this to v0.4. Sorry I didn't see this until now (I don't check the forums as often as I should. Github really is a better way to notify me of issues.)

The check for a flight computer, does that include mechjeb?

Also, how about, if kOS is installed, a check that an unmanned ship have the kOS computer installed? I would list this as either an info or a warning since it can still fly and be controlled.

LinuxGurugamer

The flight computer check does not include MechJeb at the moment.

I'll add the kOS checks to v0.4 as well.

I'll add this to v0.4. Sorry I didn't see this until now (I don't check the forums as often as I should. Github really is a better way to notify me of issues.)

Good to know. If I see something new I'll put an issue there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.