ResearchBodies [OLD THREAD]

simon56modder

OK, lets try this again. I think I got it figured out.This was with v1.2.1 of Research bodies.Sorry for the late reply, got to get through my Curious George posts and the mod approvals take some time. Also, here is a proper report. I haven't tested 1.2.2 yet. Ill let you know if that fixes things.

KSP: 1.0.4 Windows 32bit

Problem: Not Detecting Planets. When clicking the star field the debug menu returns this exception:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[CelestialBody,System.Int32].get_Item (.CelestialBody key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.DrawWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Aggressive-Release.zip" Active Texture Management

Alternate_Resource_Panel-2.7.2.0.zip"

AsteroidDay.zip"

Atomic_Age-3.0.zip"

Chatterer-0.9.5.zip"

Community_Tech_Tree-2.1.zip"

Critical_temperature_gauge-1.0.4-a.zip"

DeepFreeze_Continued-V0.17.0.0.zip"

Distant_Object_Enhancement_bis-v1.5.6.zip"

DMagic_Orbital_Science-1.0.4.zip"

Docking_Port_Alignment_Indicator-6.2.zip"

EngineLighting-1.4.0.zip"

ESLD_Jump_Beacons-0.6a.zip"

Extraplanetary_Launchpads_v5.2.1.zip"

HyperEdit-1.4.1_for-KSP-1.0.zip"

KAS_v0.5.2.zip"

Kerbal_Alarm_Clock-3.4.0.0.zip"

Kerbal_Construction_Time-1.1.8.0.zip"

Kerbal_Foundries_Wheels_and_Repulsors_ALPHA-Beta_1.8g.zip"

KerbalEngineer-1.0.17.0.zip"

KerbalStats_v2.0.0.zip"

KIS_v1.1.5.zip"

Kopernicus.0.1.zip"

KW_Rocketry-2.7.zip"

LandingHeight14.zip"

Magic_Smoke_Industries_Infernal_Robotics-0.21.3.zip"

ModuleManager.2.6.6.dll"

ModuleRCSFX_v4.1.zip"

Outer_Planets_Mod-1.7.1.zip"

Pathfinder_0_1_4.zip"

Portrait_Stats-3.0.zip"

RemoteTech-1.6.7.zip"

ResearchBodies_v1-2-1.zip"

SCANsat-v14.0.zip"

ScienceAlert-1.8.8.zip"

ScienceContainers_v0.08.2.zip"

SolarActionGroup.zip"

StageRecovery-1.5.6.zip"

StationScience-1.5.zip"

StockBugFixModules.v1.0.4a.1.zip"

TacFuelBalancer_2.5.1.7.zip"

Toolbar-1.7.9.zip"

Waypoint_Manager-2.3.4.zip"

FTT_0.4.1.zip"

Karbonite_0.6.2.zip"

KPlus_0.4.1.zip"

SrvPack_0.3.1.zip"

UKS_0.31.4.zip"

USILS_0.1.3.zip"

ExpPack_0.4.1.zip"

Near_Future_Spacecraft_Parts-0.4.2.zip"

NearFutureElectricalX0_5_2a.zip"

Near_Future_Construction-0.5.4.zip"

Near_Future_Propulsion-0.5.1.zip"

Near_Future_Solar-0.5.3.zip"

Reproduction steps:

Start New Career. Click Telescope Icon. Click Star Field.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qahunfog219dkj/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edit: 1.2.2 Looks like it fixed the problem for me. Started a new career, cheated some funds/science, clicked the star map and found Minmus after 2 clicks.

Edited by BT3

I'm having fun with this mod and I may have found a bug/incompatibility with Custom Asteroids. When starting a career I will get a bunch of exceptions thrown that the planet could not be found (makes sense as they are not discovered), the exceptions seem to only affect the Outer Planets with Custom Asteroid configs though. I have a config for a Jool asteroid ring and there did not seem to be an exception thrown for that, or any of the other asteroid sets. This is with version 1.2.2.

Ill get one of these for each Outer Planet with a config.

[ERR 12:04:28.251] CustomAsteroids: failed to load population 'sarnusRingMoonlets'

[EXC 12:04:28.252] ArgumentException: CustomAsteroids: could not find celestial body named Sarnus

Parameter name: name

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population.getPlanetByName (System.String name)

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population+ValueRange.getPlanetProperty (System.String planet, System.String property)

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population+ValueRange.parseOrbitalElement (System.String rawValue)

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population+SizeRange.parseOrbitSize (System.String rawValue)

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population+SizeRange.parseAll ()

Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population.ValueRange

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population+SizeRange.parseAll ()

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.Population+ValueRange.IPersistenceLoad.PersistenceLoad ()

ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse)

ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node)

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.PopulationLoader.Load ()

UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.PopulationLoader:Load()

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.AsteroidManager:.cctor()

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.<editStockSpawner>d__2:MoveNext()

Starstrider42.CustomAsteroids.<editStockSpawner>d__2:MoveNext()

[ERR 12:04:28.258] CustomAsteroids: failed to load population 'sarnusMoonlets'

I'm not sure if when the planets are discovered if the check is re-run to enable the asteroid configs or if this exception breaks them? Or should this be more of a post for the Custom Asteroid/OPM thread?

Edit: Sorry, looks like this is a false report. I think I had a bad Kopernicus install or something as I reinstalled everything fresh and no longer receive the exception.

Question: Is there a way/option to disable the colored globes for each of the planets in the map/tracking station views until discovery? They show as unidentified objects currently but are still easily identified as the planets with the colored globes (Image 2 of the OP Tracking Station View for example). In the OP I see that you may be adding a feature to blur undiscovered planets, any chance there may be an option (Hard Mode?) that will also show them (Initially) as the same question marks in the map screens as every other unidentified object that you can’t zoom in on until you discover it, only track orbit? But still be able to see them as a grey question mark at tracking station lvl1, as in the station is not upgraded enough to see unidentified smaller objects without lvl3 but Kerbals can see that there is "something" sparkling in the night sky with their eyes. Then when “discovered†the color globe enables and you can zoom into the blurred image, as in telescopes have only been able to produce blurred images (which unlocks non-blurred image when you enter SOI?, minus planets on the ignore list of course which start as colored globes that are blurry). Or is this out of scope/not make sense/already the intention (hopefully :D)?

I love the idea of being able to send a probe out to a random grey unidentified object and still be able to discover a planet/moon by “accident†if you will. Not just be able to say send a probe to the green dot right off the bat if I want to discover Jool without using the telescope. And all the more reason to set up a more extensive telescope/ground based observatory network to discover planets/moons so your not just flying out to a colored dot or an asteroid *squeal of excitement*

Also, eagerly awaiting an update that will disable contracts for planets not discovered.

Love this mod, Thanks for adding so much more fun and immersion to my careers.

Edited by BT3

Whoa, how did I not see this before? Must have this in my game! :)

I have a question though about compatibility with system resizes, as I currently play with KScale2 installed:

- Does the distance factor in for the discovery process? In other words, will playing with much larger distances between Kerbin and other bodies make the discovery process harder?

- Is the 75 million kilometers range for the telescope hardcoded, or can I edit it to match my system rescale?

Whoa, how did I not see this before? Must have this in my game! :)

I have a question though about compatibility with system resizes, as I currently play with KScale2 installed:

- Does the distance factor in for the discovery process? In other words, will playing with much larger distances between Kerbin and other bodies make the discovery process harder?

- Is the 75 million kilometers range for the telescope hardcoded, or can I edit it to match my system rescale?

It's absolutely not hard-coded (I love customizable settings ;)). Check in the telescope part config, then at the end of the file you'll find that.

Be careful ! Distance is in meters, not kilometers.

I'm planning to add compatibility for rescale mods.

Good news... I gave it a try and it seems to work properly. I didn't even have to change the telescope because Outer Planets Mod is already setting it to some obscene value :P

I managed to discover Minmus with four clicks into the starfield, with a tier 2 tracking station. I assume this is in the range of expected turnouts.

A comment from me as a first time user: the clicking into starfield thing is kind of unintuitive, especially since there's no feedback to the user on failed attempts and it doesn't seem to matter where in the starfield you click. I was completely confused as to what to do, suddenly got a Minmus discovered message and didn't even realize I had already lost 40 science at that point (science which I had saved up for something else that was important). Took me a while to figure out what just happened. Personally I would have preferred a button, or at least some text describing what I'm supposed to do with the starfield and what I could expect to see happen.

Good news... I gave it a try and it seems to work properly. I didn't even have to change the telescope because Outer Planets Mod is already setting it to some obscene value :P

Yes I changed the telescope range to account for the larger solar system in OPM.

Review/Feedback:

This mod sounds more interesting than it turns out to be. The idea that you need to find the planets sounds good, but there are a few problems. One is that we all know the planets already. Maybe if the mod was able to randomize the planets and moons or something like that, it would be more novel. But it just kind of turns into a "click until you reveal Eve" festival of random mousing.

Orbiting the telescope was nice touch, but once there it really is just as passive as the main interface. Open its window and click click click. There is no need to aim the telescope, which could have added a little interest. Maybe it could be that you point the telescope at Eve and you discover Eve. A little skill rather than random luck would make it more interesting.

I didn't try to discover the planets in person, but that should be allowed. Thinking of Pluto, it would be nifty if you had to send a probe to the planet before you really could get a good view of it. Again, though, the fact that most of us know all the planets by heart kind of spoils this.

So in summary, it's a nice idea but it has too much random mouseclicking. And it would really work best if it was accompanied by a mod that randomized the solar system, to add an actual element of surprise.

Hello,

I will be adding this to my extensive list.

Thing is I need to move planets and moons to my liking....

I dont move many of them but some need to be moved....

Seems like distance should be a priority and the telescope (now this is a bit confusing I dont need a spoiler yet but I am not sure what scope to use; I thought there was a mod for this and the range of this scope would be extended based on funding and science; it will give my Kerbal Space Engineers something to do!).

I also use Distance Object MOD...great for spotting those elusive planets...thanks for adding modification specs as well this will be a great help in customizing this MOD !

Cmdr Zeta

UPDATE 1.3:

• Tracking bodies with telescope now requires looking in the direction of the body to track
    • NOTE : still needs to be under the 75 millions km radius

[*]Added texts on body discovery

[*]Tracking station now requires being level 2 or 3 in order to track (configurable)

[*]Removed space field UI, back to button

hi there.

few questions. does this play well with the tarsier space telescopes parts in this mod (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111157) ? do these telescopes work to discover the bodies?

does discovering the planets reward science?

do the career missions get hidden if you havent discovered a body in question.. ie "fly by duna" doesnt appear if you havent discovered it?

thanks

few questions.

Few answers.

Tarsier telescopes compatibility is planned.

Reward science on body discovery wasn't planned but is now planned because it is a great idea ! But not with discovery with space center, only using the telescopes parts.

Career missions are NOT hidden but this is planned too.

awesome, ill download and look forward to those implementations...

EDIT: just watched that video in the first post..is that button process a place holder until land based parts are added?

Edited by casper88

Hi! I had the same idea and BAM! Someone already coded it! Nice!

My problem is, though, I have Outer Planets Mod and Asclepius (another Kopernicus-based planet) and I can't seem to track them on the tracking Station. Though I can track near kerbin asteroids, I can't track the planets that appear as unknown objects. The Track button is grayed out.

Is something wrong or dd I get the instructions wrong and the only methods are the button in Space Center and the telescope?

BTW is it compatible with the CactEye telescope? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105660-0-90-CactEye-2-Orbital-Telescope-BETA-4

Thanks!

So I have been poking this with a sharp stick. And when I install outer plants suddenly minmus and a bunch of other things that are normally NOT pre-discovered are... why for this be? And can I change it so that I start with still just Kerbin, Kerbol and the Mun, even with outer planets? And if so, how? Because I was not able to find that. I can see how to change priority but... that doesn't fix things being pre-discovered?

For the record with OPM installed I can already see Minmus Jool, Eve, Duna, and Moho. But not the moons of Eve or Duna or Jool. And the outer planets are all hidden which is good.

Update: Never mind, found the file in the OPM folder I neede/wanted to modify. Need to remove names in /that/ file from the ignore list.

Edited by OakTree42

dronkit-

Here is a ResearchBodies patch for Asclepius (put it in the GameData/Asclepius folder)

I'll add it in the next release. Sorry for the inconveinience. :D

Thanks! I'll try it now!

Anyway I have the same problem with all undiscovered planets, not just Asclepius but the OPMs and stock: I can't "track" them in Tracking station. Now I've used the Tarsier telescope and photographed dres, asclepius, urlum and other OPMs, but they're still unknown and unable to be tracked in the tracking center.

The button in KSC that spends science and money to search random parts of the sky seems to work, though. I found Sarnus and Laythe that way.

Is there a bug or am I missing the correct procedure for planet discovery? What would it be? Thanks!