[WIP] - RealPlume - Stock Configs - Call for Contributors

Felger

FASA is about halfway done but I have dibs on AIES engines. Called it.

Here are a few in work:

Gemini-Titan at Launch:

GeminiLaunch.jpg

At altitude:

GeminiAtAltitude2.jpg

Mercury-Redstone at launch:

MercuryRedstoneLaunch.jpg

Mercury Retro Fire

MercuryRetro.jpg

This one is a good example of how the engine plume and flare look great, but need to be adjusted closer to the engine.

Edited by Probus

Squad's engines are mostly done too, and for anyone thinking about helping out, adding a plume to an engine is as easy as creating a text file with this text in it:

@PART[liquidEngine1-2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] //H-1/RS-27
{
PLUME
{
name = Kerolox-Lower //pre-fabbed plume you want
transformName = thrustTransform //which transform to attach the plume
localRotation = 0,0,0 //Optional - Any rotation needed
localPosition = 0,0,0 //Any offset needed
fixedScale = 1 //Size adjustment to resize to engine
energy = 1 //Adjust length of plume
speed = 1 //Adjust speed to fit resize,
//generally close to 1:1 with scale.
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
%powerEffectName = Kerolox-Lower
}
}

And editing the parameters in the PLUME section so the plume looks right for the engine. Most of the time you only need to adjust the position and size, and you can do it in game so you can see it in real time.

Hey felger. Quick question, I'm working on trying to get the SpaceY engines working with this and I'm curious as to how I apply the flare and smoke config options in the cfg file I made. I followed your guide but whenever I save the final edits to the plume effect it never comes out how it was when I edited the stuff in-game. Thanks for any help :)

Hey felger. Quick question, I'm working on trying to get the SpaceY engines working with this and I'm curious as to how I apply the flare and smoke config options in the cfg file I made. I followed your guide but whenever I save the final edits to the plume effect it never comes out how it was when I edited the stuff in-game. Thanks for any help :)

Did you copy your changes back to the PLUME node in your real plume config?

Assuming you did that, could you post your config so I can take a look? Also module manager produces a configcache file that has the final config for every part, could you upload that so I can make sure everything is working right on my side?

Yep, here is the engine config I have for the Kiwi engine. Here is the ConfigCache file. Also just for your reference when you look at the effect, this is what it is suppose to look like (made using the in-game tool)

Edit: I also saved the config layout of what you configure in game for the plume, flare, and smoke effect that made it look like the picture I linked, if you want those let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, wait a second. Did I muck up. The part of the config that goes at the end

}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesRF
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
{
%type = ModuleEnginesRF
@CONFIG,* //Add the effect to every engine config
{
%powerEffectName = Kerolox-Lower
}
}
}

is that what confirms the configs? (from your tutorial)

Edited by Nhawks17

That last bit is only necessary for realism overhaul plumes.

I'll have to look at this more when I get back from work, nothing is immediately apparent to me.

I also can't recall if the Ammonialox effect has smoke or not. Perhaps the old effects aren't being removed correctly?

I'm not sure how to check if it does or not. I know when I opened the config editor it had the MP_Nazari smokebooster2 effect applied to the smoke tab, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I checked, Ammonialox does have a smoke effect, though it appears I didn't include a position setting, I'll have to do that later.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/blob/master/GameData/RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes/Ammonialox.cfg#L122

Can you post a screenshot of what it looks like in game when you reload after adjusting your RealPlume config?

No problem. Here is what it looks like reloaded, you can see the plume effect is not where it should be even though the config is adjusted to the ingame settings as well as this being the way the smoke effect is loaded on a reload which is alot longer than when I tweaked it in-game.

No problem. Here is what it looks like reloaded, you can see the plume effect is not where it should be even though the config is adjusted to the ingame settings as well as this being the way the smoke effect is loaded on a reload which is alot longer than when I tweaked it in-game.

Okay, so, by all rights it looks like your PLUME parameters are being applied to the EFFECTS node, which is odd that you're not seeing the appearance you saved in the PLUME node. Try doing something crazy, like changing fixedScale to 10 or something in your config file, save the changes, and launch the game again. Just to make sure the PLUME node is being applied on your end.

Also, looking at that engine, perhaps a different plume would be more appropriate? Like a Kerolox plume? Where is it supposed to be used (launch, vacuum, landers, etc)?

Okay, so, by all rights it looks like your PLUME parameters are being applied to the EFFECTS node, which is odd that you're not seeing the appearance you saved in the PLUME node. Try doing something crazy, like changing fixedScale to 10 or something in your config file, save the changes, and launch the game again. Just to make sure the PLUME node is being applied on your end.

Also, looking at that engine, perhaps a different plume would be more appropriate? Like a Kerolox plume? Where is it supposed to be used (launch, vacuum, landers, etc)?

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I will be able to test this in a little under an hour and report back. Yeah, I was mainly starting with this to test to see if I could get it working. I believe the engine is multi-purpose really. I usually use it for vacuum maneuvers but I think you can use it as a launch as well.

Well I'd say it is as this shows that loud and clear :P

Well I'd say it is as this shows that loud and clear :P

Well, your parameters are definitely taking. I mucked up the smoke config for that plume, and it won't respond to placement adjustments at this point, that'll be fixed in the next release.

Let me ask a noob (for RealPlume) question. I've got configs I made a long time ago for HotRockets/Smokescreen, and I'm trying out RealPlume equivalents (on a stock-scale Kerbin).

When I use the Kerolox-Lower on a 1st stage engine, I see the smoke plume expands on the way up, becoming pretty sizable, and then it abruptly fades around 27km / 800m/s, leaving a thin trail of smoke which persists any time the engine is running (including vacuum). So, the questions: is the plume expected to change / fade so sharply? And is it intended to leave a smoke trail even in space? I've got MM 2.6.6 and SmokeScreen 2.6.6, as well as RealPlume 0.3.

Well, your parameters are definitely taking. I mucked up the smoke config for that plume, and it won't respond to placement adjustments at this point, that'll be fixed in the next release.

Gotcha, I'll look into using a different plume then! Thanks for the help!!

- - - Updated - - -

So it was definitely the plume I was using. I switched to the Kerolox-Upper plume and configured it and once I put it in the actual configs it loaded up fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.