[1.0.4] Kinetic Penetrator - for Science! BETA (No longer supported)

Randazzo

98K6yug.png

sI7atPe.png

Download: Kerbal Stuff | Github

License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Dependencies: Module Manager | Kerbal Attachment System

Kinetic Penetrator... for Science!

See HERE for real-world proposal

This is a highly experimental device that took quite a bit of hacking together. A number of stock modules were harmed in the process. It has proven to be reliable in my own testing, but I'd like to get it out to a wider audience to see the interesting ways it might be abused and/or broken. I'm very interested in feedback on this device and how it functions.

The pack contains 4 parts: The Kinetic Penetrator, a small monopropellant tank, a small monopropellant engine, and a tiny airbrake.

The Kinetic Penetrator itself is a self-contained unit including battery, micro-RTG, probe core guidance with basic SAS, and reaction wheels. It is also equipped with a seismometer/accelerometer, thermometer, and deployable antenna for data transmission. The majority of the main device is not surface attachable to prevent attaching other devices to it, and out of necessity in regards to impact survival. A small area near bottom of the main device is attachable to allow airbrakes to be deployed. As it relies on a slightly abused landing gear module to soften impacts to prevent bouncing and allow the KAS harpoon module to take hold, the device does have options related to landing legs within it's action menu. Unfortunately I do not believe there is anything I can do about this short of writing some C# code, which I cannot do, so I don't expect that to change.

Known Issues:

1. The main device has landing leg related options in the action menu.
  2. On occasion, the device will explode on impact even at "safe" velocities.
  3. The device may bounce if it impacts the surface at speeds exceeding ~110 m/s
  4. Landing on a planet/moon may fail to complete a "Land on..." objective. If this occurs, right click on the device and select "Detach". The collider should then fall a short distance and make contact with the surface. This is mainly an issue at low impact speeds or in very low gravity.
  5. On rare occasion, you may be unable to leave the scene due to the device being registered as still in flight. Right clicking and selecting "Detach" will correct this, however the device may explode. (This has happened only twice in my testing)

What do I do with this thing?

It's simple, really: Crash! The device will (fairly) reliably perform at impacts up to 100 m/s. Use the fuel tank and engine included in the pack to decelerate to a safe speed (don't forget to decouple the tank and engine afterwards, and also don't forget that you will begin to accelerate again after slowing down. Plan accordingly) before impacting the surface of whatever you want to land on. Point the nose of the device at the surface, and it should sink a ways into the ground and stick. Once stuck, you can collect data and transmit it back to Kerbin!

Note that in an atmosphere of any thickness, you will likely need airbrakes to avoid disaster.

Edited by Randazzo

Can I drop these on the KSC a la rods from god?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

They are not designed for that sort of deployment.

However, if you choose to do this... take pictures.

I think i will have massive cost reduction on my lander probes whit this :P

Yeah they're super cheap for now. Eventually I'll have to figure out a proper balance for that. They come so late in a career game that they need to have some sort of benefit over a soft lander probe.

Edited by Randazzo

Hello - love this idea. I noted that you said that the part has a landing leg thing appear in the part menu - I notice that the last module in the .cfg is a landing leg module. Is that supposed to be there?

Hello - love this idea. I noted that you said that the part has a landing leg thing appear in the part menu - I notice that the last module in the .cfg is a landing leg module. Is that supposed to be there?

Yes. It's what keeps the thing from bouncing when it hits the ground.

Saw this in the "New in repository" tab in Ckan. had to try it. Downloaded and will post pictures as I test it out. As well as any bugs or related crashes that may happen. I run other mods so apologies if I post a crash that is unrelated by acccident.

I really like the uniqueness approach, thank you for your creativity!

Since the device is not meant to take off, perhaps some retro-thrusters would make more sense than a regular one? I will still enjoy it if you plan to leave it that way!:D

I'll echo the RT patch and the Retrothruster patch. I envision a thrust reverser similar to a jet thrust reverser. That way there's no reorienting mid flight, allowing one to spin up the penetrator for stability or jettison the engine as it fires, pulling it clear of the penetrator and its landing site.

Perhaps leave the original thruster as an option for those who want it?

As for the RT patch, maybe it'd be handy to have a base plate or fairing base that trails the unit or stays in orbit with a more powerful antenna to relay the penetrator's tiny antenna? (P.S. The antenna would look lovely if it were significantly lengthened into a long whip antenna.)

With love c:

Edited by Cleric2145

RemoteTech patch should be easy enough, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the device in my opinion. I guess if you carried one along on a regular manned flight and deployed it, relaying the signal through that ship, it would make sense.

As for the retro thruster idea, it's already possible with a certain stock part, but mum's the word from me. I don't want to remove all the challenge from the device (though I suspect someone will post it up eventually).

I don't have any plans to make any major modifications to the design at this point barring some critical point of failure, but I suppose I the antenna is a bit stubby.

Edit: RemoteTech compatibility might not be feasible after all. It would require deploying the antenna before ditching the fuel tank in pretty much all cases.

Edited by Randazzo

Alright, my experience with RemoteTech probes is rather bad - mostly due to parachutes and bouncing, though - but is it possible to add the equivalent of an RT-10 onto the tank, and then order a delayed activation of the penetrator's own antenna before separation?

Alright, my experience with RemoteTech probes is rather bad - mostly due to parachutes and bouncing, though - but is it possible to add the equivalent of an RT-10 onto the tank, and then order a delayed activation of the penetrator's own antenna before separation?

I don't think a delay deployment is possible in stock. You might be able to do it with smart parts.

What would you want to do with the RT-10? That's a pretty hefty SRB for such a Tiny probe, I imagine it's enough for an escape trajectory in most places.

Edit: RemoteTech compatibility might not be feasible after all. It would require deploying the antenna before ditching the fuel tank in pretty much all cases.

Why not plug an always on 200km antenna into the penetrator and make the deployable antenna a 2Mm antenna? RT integration is a big help to those of us not wanting a god probe that can fly to Eeloo without antennae. If nothing else, I'm sure somebody would be willing to write a small additional .cfg for RT integration.

I'll be done bugging you about RT now :3

Why not plug an always on 200km antenna into the penetrator and make the deployable antenna a 2Mm antenna? RT integration is a big help to those of us not wanting a god probe that can fly to Eeloo without antennae. If nothing else, I'm sure somebody would be willing to write a small additional .cfg for RT integration.

I'll be done bugging you about RT now :3

That was what I had done and I thought it would be as much of an offense as it's current iteration.

I guess I'll stick it in and see if torches and pitchforks are aimed at me.

Edit: Alright, next version is up with longer antenna and remotetech patch for testing.

Edited by Randazzo

Its big piece of metal so kerbal may use haul think as antena and have inside deployable antena why not?

and in RT only u can set wathever delay u want for thinks u do

so its posible to set impackt course set delayed opening of antena and will be ok

maby is some way to make it autoopen anten a when its hit ground?

and yeah i love idea will test it shourley