"Eve: Order Zero" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (POSTLUDE COMPLETE...bet you didn't see THAT coming.)

It seems to do fine, though of course framerate suffers. Fortunately, while very large, all three ships have comparatively few parts. Now, before someone points out that I could just use Kranefly to tow everything to Gilly-- no. I could probably do it if I had to, but I don't have to. There isn't a "target center of mass" option for a non-asteroid tow load, and I'm really not interested in baiting the Kraken by poking around with the klaw looking for a low thrust angle. If only Evestation or the M7 had just one axial port to match up with the nose port on the Kranefly...but they don't. Two Gilly intercepts it is :)

With KER that is easy to do, actually: switch off all engines except the relevant ones, put them in the first stage alone so KER has no troubles, and watch the "thrust torque". Then free the pivot, and play "null the number". It's more precise than the navball marker in 'roids!

Rune. Baiting the Kraken indeed ;)

The dance continues! Three more pages.

725H86m.png

vt1p59c.png

2fN7LI5.png

Even if this latest stupidity does work, we have a LOT of fuel and oxidant to get up to the M7. Don't worry, I won't show all the boring bits :) According to the clock, Evestation should be making it back to Gill orbit shortly, and Mortingale will be in Eve SOI the next day--probably getting a Gilly intercept a week or two after. This will give Jeb time to embarrass himself and Bill in at least a dozen more languages.

Edited by Kuzzter

"Random Word Salad"

I hate to admit, I've sort of done this. :) I learned some Spanish in school but have been studying French on my own for the last several years. On our recent vacation it turned out that the concierge of our apartment in Paris was Argentinian. My wife "helpfully" told him I spoke Spanish, so he immediately switched to castellano...French being his second-best language, and his English not very good at all.

Not being very multi-lingual myself, my speaking brain can generally only distinguish between "English" and "not-English". So having just spent a considerable amount of time replacing Spanish with French in the "not-English" file, I found myself unable to fully revert. Quite often I would start a sentence in one language and finish it in another. Somehow it all worked out, though. After a few minutes we had settled on a mix of Spanish, French and English and were communicating well enough for me to understand his detailed instructions for sneaking into the Louvre without paying. But if I had heard a single word of Italian or Mandarin at that moment, I think my cabeza would have exploded.

Not being very multi-lingual myself, my speaking brain can generally only distinguish between "English" and "not-English". So having just spent a considerable amount of time replacing Spanish with French in the "not-English" file, I found myself unable to fully revert. Quite often I would start a sentence in one language and finish it in another. Somehow it all worked out, though. After a few minutes we had settled on a mix of Spanish, French and English and were communicating well enough for me to understand his detailed instructions for sneaking into the Louvre without paying. But if I had heard a single word of Italian or Mandarin at that moment, I think my cabeza would have exploded.

https://youtu.be/V1xMDn-Btkk?t=26

AHH! The withdrawal!

Your withdrawal, my grind :) Here's a teaser/spoiler/update to keep you going for now:

PIPzEAT.png

Yep, I docked EVERYTHING. Missing from the picture is Alouette, which was on the Evestation port at far right but is now on the surface getting yet another 15 tons of ore. (the light wasn't good enough for a picture when Alouette was docked). I played for a while after taking this picture, and after two docks of Alouette and one of Kranefly there are about 20,000 units (100 tons) of oxidant in the M7. The OX is the rate-limiting step, as Kranefly can carry a huge amount of LF from the surface but only about 9 tons of OX plus 15 tons of ore. Mortingale is in Eve orbit and will be at Gilly in five days, by which time I think the M7 will be full.

It's actually surprisingly fun for me to grind this out rather than just "take it as read" and hyperedit to full tanks. Shuttling the two oreships, docking and undocking, even the Gilly landings... I've become an expert at abusing low gravity for personal gain, I think. :)

Hope everyone had a good weekend--we all saw the Martian, and thoroughly loved it! Here's four new pages of fine grinding...

LbR20qL.png

VMemNvf.png

TuRByK7.png

VL4SKuP.png

I think we've seen enough docking and mining for now :) There's enough fuel in orbit to begin rescue ops, so we'll be moving the action to Eve very soon!

- - - Updated - - -

SO, is that SSTO from Gilly? ;)

You could fling a ham sandwich from Gilly and it'd make orbit, so yeah :)

Landing on Gilly is more like rendezvous than landing.

Am starting to take shortcuts, like thrusting straight at it and re-orbiting wrongway. The extra fuel I spend is nothing compared to the amount coming from the surface.

Kuzzter's posts are like crack :sticktongue:

Happy to oblige :)

What have Bob and Tedus been doing for the last year?

Oh I dunno... sleeping, playing Fizzbin, giving each other haircuts... making purple sandcastles... trying to figure out how to connect a k-pad so they can read 'Plan Kappa'... :D

Edited by Kuzzter

Excellent!

I actually laughed out loud once again. This time it was Dilsby's line 'Please, no... I don't do well in interludes.' That was beautiful.

Loved the song as well, of course.

I can't believe you were grinding out all that ore 15 tonnes at a time. You deserve a persistence award. :)

Thanks Kuzzter.

Happy landings!

You could fling a ham sandwich from Gilly and it'd make orbit, so yeah :)

If it's low fat, you could probably swing it into escape velocity.

BTW, the whole update is hilarious, but it was the first line of the song that made my day1 ;-)

I can't believe you were grinding out all that ore 15 tonnes at a time. You deserve a persistence award. :)

Well it's not quite that bad--I can take up 15,000 units of LF (75 tons) in the Kranefly each time, so the ore is pretty much all going to make OX. Starting next trip I'm going to dock Alouette to the Kranefly's nose--that means I can move 30 tons of ore, plus make another 10+ tons of OX on the surface and store it in the various rocket fuel tanks. (since I'll be doing the whole trip on Kranefly's LVN engines I will no longer need oxidant to power Alouette) So should be only 2-3 more trips from this point, including the additional OX and LF required to fill up Mortingale. Figured I'd just explain that here rather than show it, as I really do not want to do another mining page :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.